question

clementhk avatar image
clementhk asked

MPPT 250/100 MC4 vs Tr vs VE.Can MC4 vs VE.Can Tr?

Hi,

I'm making my RV off-grid with solar panels and batteries.

I decided to buy a whole Victron set with MultiPlus-II, SmartSolar MPPT 250/100 and Cerbo GX.

But I'm quite confuse by different versions of SmartSolar MPPT 250/100.

There are 4 versions,

1) MC4

2) Tr

3) VE.Can MC4

4) VE.Can Tr

What are the differences here and which one shall I get?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @clementhk. The Tr means it’s a screw terminal connection, whereas the MC4 model is for normal MC4 connectors plugging directly into the MPPT.

All of them comes standard with a Ve.direct port for communication, but the Can model can also communicate to a GX device via CanBus. I’m guessing you’d get away with the normal model, as the can model can be used to sting many of them together, and I guess you’re only having one MPPT?
hopes this helps?

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

clementhk avatar image clementhk commented ·

Hi,

Thanks for the help!!!

I have 6 x SPR-MAX3-390 in parallel and my battery is at 48V.

Here's the spec https://www.europe-solarstore.com/download/sunpower/SunPower-SPR-MAX3-390_Datasheet_EN.pdf

Is it correct that I only need one MPPT?

0 Likes 0 ·
Murray van Graan avatar image Murray van Graan clementhk commented ·

The 250/100 is good for up to 5 or 6kwp at 48V, and 6 x 400wp = 2,4kwp. So yes it’s gonna be fine. I’d advise to go with two strings of 3 panels in series per string, to not exceed the 250V maximum input.

0 Likes 0 ·
stobli avatar image stobli Murray van Graan commented ·
Hallo,

darf man an den MC4 je Paar 250V max anschließen oder insgesamt ?

0 Likes 0 ·