question

william-olsen avatar image
william-olsen asked

SmartShunt Usage spike

I have found over several different units that when I wiggle the 3 cables coming out of the potted unit (red, gray, and black) that the wattage reading over bluetooth spikes to unrealistic numbers (over 400W when the expected value is 3-4W. Is this a known hardware bug? is there any fix? Thanks

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@William Olsen

Description unclear....

So you are wiggling v bat aux and aux?

Or wiggling the ve direct cable connection?

Or all of the above?

What kind of wiggling are we talking here?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

william-olsen avatar image william-olsen commented ·

@Alexandra Yes i am wiggling the v bat (red), aux (gray), and ve direct (black) back and forth at the location that they enter the SmartShunt. Not super aggressive, just simply moving the cable bundle back and forth. If this cable bundle is left in a certain position, the usage wattage will remain unrealistically high.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ william-olsen commented ·

Ah, ok so the high is not while wiggling? Just certain positions? And then never settles to normal unless placed a certain way? Is this the ip65 or the other model?

0 Likes 0 ·
william-olsen avatar image
william-olsen answered ·

@Alexandra it does jump while wiggling, but it does appear to be positionally dependent. IE if left in a certain orientation it will show the desired 4W draw and if left in another position it will show the unrealistic 400+W draw. So when wiggling it passes through both of these states which is shown via Bluetooth connection

1 comment
2 |3000

william-olsen avatar image william-olsen commented ·
This is the IP65 model so it is entirely potted in epoxy and I cannot determine if there is any physical issues with the device
0 Likes 0 ·