question

goon326 avatar image
goon326 asked

Victron Orion TR DC-DC switches on and off

Dear all,

I started testing my Orion DC DC charger. Which is located in the back of my van and connected to a 200ah lithium battery with internal BMS system. However, when I start my car, it keeps shutting on and off. What am I doing wrong?

The voltage will increase when I start my car, then the Orion will start charging, and the voltage will drop, after this it will switch off, and the voltage starts to rise again and the Orion switches on again ect ect.

I am using the standard settings for lithium batteries.

Thanks for your help!

orion-tr smartOrion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
prein avatar image
prein answered ·

Is it the orion smart? The voltage drop is likely too high. So when you start drawing current, the voltage drops and the orion thinks the battery is low.

Check cable thickness and low battery voltage setting.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

goon326 avatar image goon326 commented ·
Thanks!

Yes it is the orion smart. The cables that where used are standard cables that are in my california from factory. (T4) They used to charge a lead battery. Don’t know how many amps a lead battery usually asks for. But my alternator is 80A, for the whole car.

The ground cable goes from the orion to the frame of the car.

What thickness of cable should I use If I install new cables? And is grounding to the frame sufficient or should I also make a ground to the alternator from the back of the car? Distance between battery and alternator is around 4 meters.

0 Likes 0 ·
tstd avatar image
tstd answered ·

I am having the same issue and it is definitely not due to cable diameter (running 3B&S most of the way then 6B&S for about 20cm). Interesting to hear that you have earthed to the chassis and still having the same issue. Is the chassis earth from the Orion large enough?

I was thinking that my issue may be a poor earth (have it through a large bolted that is screwed into a section of the chassis but possibly not to the main chassis rail which may be providing a poor return path that could be restricting voltage once the Orion starts to draw??

I have another DCDC charger in our caravan that draws more than the Orion and doesn't have an issue. It has its own independent earth to the chassis so this could allude that the earth/return path quality to the Orion could be the issue.

2 |3000