SmartShunt Image

SmartShunt

Wiring my new SmartShunt

Hello all

We have a travel trailer with 2 - 12v batteries connected in parallel (Neg-Neg & Pos-Pos) using 4 GA wires

The Pos from one battery goes to a bus bar where all other Pos wires are connected using 8 GA wire

The Neg from the other battery goes to a bus bar where all other Neg wires are connected using 8 GA wire, the bus bar is connected directly to the frame

For the Shunt install, assuming I am correct, I will take the Neg from the bus bar that is currently going to the battery and redirect it to the Shunt - System Minus then add a new Neg wire from the battery to the Battery Minus of the Shunt. Install the Red shunt power supply and I should be done... correct?

Next question, should the new Neg wire be of 8 GA to match the existing Neg to ground or should it be 4 GA like what is between the 2 batteries, my guess is 4 GA is fine b/c that is what the RV is using.

TIA

Rick

toy4rick asked
kevgermany answered ·

3 Answers

BMS oder SmartShunt als Batterie Monitor?

Hallo,

ich hatte irgendwo mal in einem englischen forum gelesen das man das BMS als batterie monitor nutzel sollte. aussage war das BMS monitoring würde um einiges besser aufpassen was die einzelnen zell spannungen angeht

ich habe bei einer anlage das problem das, sobald ich das BMS als Batteriemonitor konfiguriere das sämtliche pv energie als positive DC spannung angezeigt und fälschlicheweiße als verbrauch gezählt werden. was mache ich da falsch?

angeschlossen ist der shunt (battery minus an minus vom BMS und an LOAD minus sind alle verbrauche und der laderegler)

würd mich über lösungsansätze freuen

micha854 asked
micha854 answered ·

2 Answers

Are there any plans for BlueTooth connectivity between the Cerbo GX and SmartShunts / SmartSolars?

Given that the Cerbo GX, SmartShunts and SmartSolars all have BT capabilities, it would eliminate a while lot of cabling if these capabilities could be harnessed to transfer data between the devices and the Cerbo. It would also overcome some of the limitations imposed by the number of physical inputs on the Cerbo.

allan-fraser asked
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

1 Answer

VRM Battery is showing discharging when in fact it is charging

Hi All,

I have a VOLT inverter and a Multiplus inverter. Volt is connected to Multiplus AC In. Both inverters are connected to the same battery bank. Both inverters are connected to the LOAD side of a smart shunt. An MPPT is connected to the battery side of the shunt.

[image]

My question is why the battery shows discharging when in fact it is charging? AC loads is 15W and MPPT is putting 344W in the system and I was expected battery to show charging with 329W (MPPT 344W - AC Loads 15W)

If I change the battery monitor to be the Multiplus, then I see the battery showing charging, however it does not correlate what the shunt shows as power consumption to what the MPPT is putting in the system.

Looks like there's multiple data sources and they are not correlated

Thanks,

George

gpopovici asked
gpopovici answered ·

2 Answers

Solar Controllers going to float too early

Hi there. I have 3 x MPPTs on my boat connected to a SmartShunt which are all networked using VE Smart Network. I also use a Raspberry Pi running VenusOS which monitors the system. DVCC is off as I was told that SmartNetwork trumps DVCC.

I find at times (i.e. when I have been running the engine) that the charge controllers switch to Float mode too early. With my above setup, where are the controllers getting the information for when to switch from Abs to Float? Is there any way to force a reset for them to go through their cycle again? Any advice for improvement here?

Thanks

lawrence-craig asked
lawrence-craig edited ·

2 Answers

Cerbo GX stopped seeing smart shunt

My boat has been sitting idle for a couple of months. At some point over the last few weeks, the Cerbo GX suddenly was not longer able to see the smart shunt connected via a VE Direct cable (it has worked flawlessly for 1.5 years). I checked everything including reconnecting the VE cable on each end, updated all firmware on cerbo and smart shunt and testing out the shunt via bluetooth. I was not able to reset the shunt (by removing the red power cable) yet and not sure if that will help. Is there any other suggestion?

crholliday asked
crholliday commented ·

1 Answer

VE Direct Networks Functionality.

Hello, so I have the 150/35 charge controller and a smart shunt from Victron, I have created a network, can someone explain how does each of these 2 components affect each other?

friaras asked
Alexandra answered ·

1 Answer

SmartShunt not showing proper solar charge current

I'm in a new Keystone Cougar RV that came equipped with a 400 watt solar collection system, and Victron 100/30 charge controller + smart shunt. I purchased and had the dealer install a new 270W LiFePO4 12V battery, and went through all the proper configuration steps with a Battle Born batteries support engineer. The components were all factory equipped, and wired by Keystone. Zero Current calibration was performed with all battery connections disengaged, and the solar charger set to 'disabled' in VictronConnect. The Inverter was powered off.

In the morning when the sun is low, the solar shows it is collecting about 100W of power. As the day progresses, the solar rises above 350W at ~40V yet the shunt still shows a difference of about 40Watts at 13.5V if I turn off the solar charger and watch the load level on the battery change. I observe a drop from -12W to -26W when the solar is showing 130W of power being collected. This leaves me wondering, "Where did those other 116 Watts go?" The battery cables are tight, and none of the wires are warm to the touch, so I don't think its heat loss. That much power expended as heat would have caused a fire.

https://www.keystonerv.com/solarflex-400i-overview

The battery in question is the GameChanger 3, which is configured as directed by Battle Born batteries, with 14.4V Absorption Voltage, 14.4V equalization and 13.6Float, but the Equalization is disabled in the app. Max charge current is 30A. On the shunt, the settings are 270Ah Capacity, 14.4V Charged Voltage, Floor 0, Tail 3.50%, Peukert 1.05, Efficiency factor 99%.

Yesterday I ran on battery all day, and before the battery reached low voltage for my refrigerator (at about 4%), the smartshunt displayed that I had expended 285Ah of power.

So the question is: How can I get the SmartShunt to properly display the power it is receiving from the charger again? If everything is configured correctly, and the calibration was done with no load, I would expect no more than a 10% loss of power from the solar charger.

robbn asked
robbn commented ·

2 Answers

Smartshunt DC energy meter for case grounded alternator

I have a Smartshunt ready to install as a DC energy meter on my boats domestic alternator, but this has the negative via the grounded case and engine. I also have a separate engine battery and alternator but they share the common negative return via the engine. This will add to the existing BMV702 on the domestic batteries. I have seen many comments that in this case, you need to have a shunt in the positive cable.

Thinking about this, I believe that I can wire it up in the negative cabling per the attached sketch. The negative return from both alternators splits at the new Smartshunt to separate out the current from the two alternators so it will only measure the domestic alternator. In the existing wiring, the alternator negative, the ground and the engine battery -ve all connect to the -ve bus and this works OK with the BMV. The boat is steel hulled and it is not used for any negative returns, everything is fully wired to the -ve buses.

The sketch ignores fusing, isolation switches, minor wiring to the shunts.

Am I missing something in my wiring layout.

[image]

pwfarnell asked

0 Answers

Smart Shunt mid-point monitoring problem

Hi everyone, I have a Smart Shunt 500 A and 4x 6V 240Ah deep cycle lead acid batteries. The 4x batteries are configured in series to provide 24 V. The shunt Vbatt+ is connected to the positive terminal of the first battery in the string, and the Aux is connected to the positive battery of the 3rd battery in the string. Please refer to the borrowed diagram below which shows my configuration. Ignore the battery link from the second battery negative terminal in the diagram as there are only 4x series batteries in this configuration and no parallel ones.

The problem I have is that the mid-point monitoring is showing a deviation of 100.10%, which I understand is impossible in this configuration. It should be only 0.10% perhaps (subtracting the 100%).

I do not understand what I have done wrong here and it seems to be a very straightforward configuration. Is it possible that the shunt is not seeing battery voltage on the Aux connector? That would mean the Vbatt+ seeing 24v, but the Aux seeing 0%, which would result in a deviation of 100% if I understand correctly? I will confirm continuity with a multimeter shortly.

UPDATE: continuity between vBatt+ and Aux to all 4 batteries is good (seeing 7, 14, 21, 28 V from both these terminals to the negative terminal

[image]

of each battery).

Or have I just not implemented this correctly?

Many thanks.

[image]

Tom Ranson asked
Tom Ranson answered ·

2 Answers

SmartShunt App/Alarm notifications

I have a BMV-712 in our Class C RV, when driving and/or camping the display is never used except for the audible alarm, otherwise I open the App on my Android phone

Our new travel trailer now comes into play. The audible alerts from the display are of no value when driving as we are not in the RV. When camping, since the batteries are up front, the display would need to be installed in the bedroom, not ideal

Do we know if Victron is working on Push/Text alerts when a display is not installed, such as with a SmartShunt?

Thanks, Rick

toy4rick asked

0 Answers

SmartShunt showing the wrong percentage

Hello,

I have a pair of 165AH AGM batteries (Victron BA412151080), wired in parallel for a total of 330AH at 12v.

Recently the state of charge was showing 57% remaining, despite 209Ah consumed - i.e. it was showing that only 43% had been consumed, when in fact 63% had been used.

How can this be, please? Do I have a faulty SmartShunt?

[image]

[image]

A couple of days later, and without charging the battery, the SmartShunt started showing 100%. This was without intervention from myself and despite the fact that the battery was even further discharged - you can see this from the voltage level, which I did not notice at the time.

I now realise that I allowed the voltage to get low enough that the batteries may have been damage, which is extremely annoying considering I was relying on the SmartShunt to monitor them. I never allowed them this low when I was using my boat's simple voltmeter!

Have I done something wrong please, or is this a common fault of SmartShunts?

[image]

[image]

andywb asked
kevgermany commented ·

2 Answers

Why no Torque specs from Victron on bolts on their equipment?

I bought a Smart Shunt that has "beefy" M10 bolts for the electrical connections. No where in the manual is there a torque spec for these bolts. Furthermore, a search on this forum reveals others have requested a torque value for this device and other Victron components and not gotten any official responses from the company representatives.

So, given most of these questions were asked a couple years ago I am asking again. What value should I torque these bolts to? There has to be some sort of range that is acceptable. Can anyone answer this question?

john-strein asked
downgrader commented ·

2 Answers

VE.Smart Network between MultiPlus and SmartShunt?

Can the MultiPlus inverter-charger communicate with a SmartShunt over bluetooth, please?

My old inverter-charger has recently died, so over the last week I've been doing a lot of reading about replacements, and it's been a lot of information to take in.

I thought I watched a video which explained that, using the VE.Bus Smart Dongle, the MultiPlus inverter-charger can communicate with the SmartShunt over bluetooth but I can now no longer find it.

The cable between the inverter-charger and the batteries is a couple of meters in length, and there is apparently some voltage drop when the inverter was in use - my old inverter-charger (an Atlas Combi) gave some problems with its inverter refusing to operate because of a low voltage warning - so it would be good to have accurate battery voltage sensing for the new inverter.

andywb asked
andywb answered ·

4 Answers

500A Smart shunt help with settings for 48v 105 a batteries

Had wrong battery amp hours, changed to to correct size of my three 48v 105A batteries. Now it does not show correct info such as Soc, and time left.

I have read many threads, but none match my system.

Also many threads are in a different language, am I on the wrong page?

[image]

oleman70 asked
klim8skeptic commented ·

3 Answers

Followers

467 Posts
247 Users
2 Followers

Topic Experts

erik-forslund
0 Points