solar Image

solar

possible to add wind and alternator (both via shunt to VRM)

[image]

[image]

I would like to know if you can ipdate the VRM web based to be able to add besides solar also other energy sources in the dashboard for example I have a shunt of the engine alternator and a shunt on wind silentwind turbine. it would be great

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

Daniele Calabrese asked

0 Answers

Solar charger shuts down EasySolar-II GX

Hi!

My system includes a REC Q BMS controlling 8p14s 41kwh batterypack, 12ea 275w solar panels and i EasySolar-II GX 3000/48-32.

During solar charging, expecially during 1500w+ charging and high SOC on batteries, the solar charger shuts down and is no longer visible in VRM interface.

I usually have to Remotely reboot the Easysolar to get it to work. Can then work some hours, or days.

Any ideas?

Regards Stig

[image]

[image]

stigandresen asked
doedani answered ·

2 Answers

Some thoughts on prioritising Solar.

I'm still trying to get my system to prioritise DC coupled solar when it is available to keep my batteries at 100%.

My system comprises: Multiplus 12/3000, Rpi running venus v2.66, BMV600s, DVCC on, 1400W of solar (overspec'd for winter), mppt100/50, 1480Ah UPS battery. (hence the desire to keep it charged). AC load of 1.2Kwh/day.

This is primarily a UPS system to cover power cuts and it works great for that. but I have DC solar so would like to prioritise it.

The way I understand it, the Mppt controller is a battery charger so it needs to see a load on the battery which drops it's voltage enough for the Mppt to pass current.

In order to load the battery, the multiplus ac input needs to be off (multi in inverter-only mode).

I can't feed back to the grid so can't use ESS.

I can manually switch the multi to inverter-only on sunny days via remote console and this works great but is a PITA and should ideally be automated.

Options I've tried:

lowering multi float and abs voltages by 0.1V below MPPT voltages. this works to an extent but only when the battery is under load or is partially depleted. (which makes sense)

lowering multi charge current, this still prioritises ac input for load use but does prioritise solar for charging a partially depleted battery. (which makes sense)

I've also fiddled around with venus coding to switch to inverter only when PV OC volts are high enough but I'm struggling to get it to work. I don't fully understand the venus coding.

Ideally I would do this in venus but-

Alternatively I could schedule when the multi switches between "inverter only" and "on" based on time of day or possibly using an irradiance sensor.

As a very basic way to get it working I'm going to try a time switch on the ac input to schedule the switching but this seems like a poor way to to do it when venus could schedule it.

I can't use the generator relay to do the scheduling as I use it for a generator.

I can't use the virtual switch as I use assistants for input current limit control.

I could use ignore ac input assitant based on SOC of battery but with such a big battery compared to the load it takes a while for it's SOC to drop low enough for the AC input to come on.

Has anyone else played around with this? would be good to bounce ideas off someone else.

bigbadbob76 asked
bigbadbob76 answered ·

8 Answers

Solar radiation sensor

Anyone come across a solar radiation sensor with output voltage proportion to incoming insolation. Would like to record the values with the Venus GX.

PeterM asked
albertvanheerden answered ·

7 Answers

Force solar to grid instead of charging batteries

I want to be able to force feed the excess solar to grid instead of charging the batteries.

What modbus parameter would to that? I cannot find a max charge current setting anywhere in the modbus register.

johnny asked

0 Answers

Multi RS Solar AC Input disconnect until low battery voltage

The Multi RS Solar uses about 250W with AC1-IN connected, is there a setting that will only connect AC1-IN if battery voltage goes low?

lintech asked
lintech answered ·

5 Answers

Multi RS Solar Posible Improvements

I have just installed my Multi RS Solar and have noticed a few features which would make this unit more useful. Most of these features should be available with tweaks to the firmware and VictronConnect app.

• The battery SOC should be available in the trends
  • AC1-IN relay should be able to be energized on the following to allow AC charging without being connected all the time due to a 250W draw just for being connected.
    • Battery low voltage setpoint (with relay off after time setpoint)
    • Low SOC setpoint (with relay off after time setpoint)
    • High battery current setpoint (with relay off after time setpoint)
  • Battery temperature should be available even if temperature compensation not selected

Also, is there any decent documentation for these units? I feel as though these have been rushed to market without the usual Victron finesse.

TIA.

lintech asked
lintech answered ·

12 Answers

Multiplus in ESS mode aansluiten op Belgisch net voor thuisbatterij.

Beste,

Ik heb thuis een multiplus II GX aangesloten op het Net met een 10Kw lithium batterij.

Alles in mooi aangesloten zoals het in de manual beschreven staat en het systeem werkt ook gewoon perfect, Maar nu is de keuring langs geweest om het systeem te keuren en dat wilde hij niet doen omdat de omvormer in serie was aangesloten met het electriciteitsnet en niet in parallel. (Ik vertelde hem dat dit systeem enkel maar in serie kan worden aangesloten en dat alle meet apparatuur vanbinnen in de multiplus aanwezig is, en dat dit toestel aan alle veiligheids voorzieningen voldoet en gekeurd is door Synergrid belgie)

Kan iemand mij helpen met info of voorbeelden van iemand anders die dit ook zo gedaan heeft thuis, zodat ik dit kan voorleggen aan de keurder? Of heb ik zelf iets over het hoofd gezien?

In bijlage de schets van hoe het is aangesloten:

[image]

[image]

Met vriendelijke groeten

Aaron

aaroncloet asked
maartenvt commented ·

17 Answers

GX-less Multiplus II with support from the Grid doesn't work as expected.

I just completed a Multiplus-II 5000/48 installation.

The grid is on AC-in, while all loads are on AC1-out. The MPII is connected to a DC BUS, where two SmartSolars and a bunch of LFP batteries are also connected. There is no GX device on the installation, for now.

The goal is to be able to use all available solar production (4kWp installed) and have the grid as support, for when the solar production is slim. Since there is no GX device, smart shunt, nor can-connected batteries, I have adjusted "DC input" voltages accordingly in "Inverter Settings", so as to not run down the batteries excessively.

However, it seems like this setup doesn't work exactly the way I want it to: Starting up the MPII with no AC-in works fine, however as soon as AC-in is electrified, the MPII goes into "Passthrough" mode and inverting stops, hence not using any of the solar production.

Only way I was able to make it work (kind of) the way I want, is to fiddle with the "AC Input Control" settings, in which case my loads are being fed by either the inverter, or the grid. I was aiming for true parallel feed from inverter and the grid at the same time.

I suspect that I will be able to make more adjustments if I put a GX Cerbo into the mix, but I was hoping I could set it up as originally intended without one. Is there something I miss? Some secret setting, or a jumper cable I missed somehow during installation?

thanar asked
shaneyake commented ·

1 Answer

Solar Setup for ARB Elements Fridge

Hey guys - I'm new to this forum and looking for a bit of advice in setting up a solar panel and MPPT regulator for my Ranger.

Car has a 60 litre ARB Elements fridge fitted and a 55 Ah Optima yellow top battery. Also has a Redarc BCDC1220 fitted which unfortunately does not provide regulation for a solar input. The aux battery is located under the rear seat and it has a short lead with an Anderson Plug on it that the previous owner apparently used to attach solar to.

I don't have detailed specs of the fridge but the label on the back of it lists a "nominal current" of 6.5 Amps. I also found a US website that claims it uses 0.89 Ah per hour and an AU video on youtube that measured about 0.65 Ah per hour (at about 25 deg C ambient).

My thoughts are to go with a Victron 175W fixed monocrystalline solar panel and a Victron MPPT 75/15 regulator as a short-term solution and in the long term I will most likely also upgrade to a LiFePo battery.

Question - if I go with this setup, should I connect the Load output of the MPPT 75/15 directly to the fridge or should I connect the fridge directly to the battery??

Assuming that the "nominal current" of 6.5 Amps on the fridge label represents the maximum current when the compressor and fan are both running then theoretically it should be OK to connect directly to the Load output and this would also prevent my Optima battery from over-discharging.

Would appreciate any advice from those in the know.

Cheers,

Gags

big-gags asked
kevgermany answered ·

2 Answers

Problem with Solar PV, Quattro and running Offgrid

Hi All,

Just has a 'problem' running off grid and would like to understand if some of this was expected behaviour and if there's something I should be doing to avoid this happening again please.

Running offgrid, Solar PV producing 2kW, background use 500w wanted to use excess to charge batteries (started at c90% SoC).

All looked good to start with. After about an hour I noticed that the PV yield was saying zero though still full sun.

Looked at the VRM and could see that the PV yield was oscillating between 2kW and 0 (and then after a while, the PV RCD had tripped - a separate problem).

Looking at the logs I'm guessing that when the battery charging went from bulk to absorption, the Quattro started frequency shifting to try to control the charging with the excess PV. Should mention here that I have an old Sunnyboy inverter (no direct control) with a wired AC sensor to the Cerbo GX measuring PV yield. Why was the PV output dropped to zero (such that the battery was then discharged to satisfy the 500W load? Can this situation be avoided please?

Separately, I'm guessing that my old Sunnyboy PV inverter didn't cope with the oscillating frequency shifting causing it's RCD to trip?

Appreciate some guidance/suggestions please?

Colin

colj asked
PeterM answered ·

5 Answers

Why did Multi RS Solar ESS discharge below the minimum SOC?

When you setup a Multi RS Solar with ESS set to "Optimized with Battery Life" and the Minimum SOC is set to 51%, is this supposed to limit the battery discharge to a minimum of 51%? Reason I ask is that I checked my system this morning and the batteries had discharged to 33%. My concern is that although the grid started charging the batteries, I have no idea how low my batteries would have dropped to (No History on SOC). Is this a fault with the setup or the algorithm?

[image]

[image]

lintech asked
Alexander Bartash edited ·

12 Answers

Which Victron design is best suited for dual solar vs grid prioritization

Which Victron schematic and components are best suited for the below situation:

Energy source would be Grid and Solar panels, with lithium batteries to support range of consumption between 2Kw and 3.5Kw output as minimum (sometimes but rarely consumption can go up to 5Kw). Ekectricity is 220V and average ampere consumption is 10A (can go up to 20A).

The preference should be output from the batteries even if there is a grid energy feed, as long as batteries are half full.

The grid electricity is not available at all times so when there is no electricity source from the grid, the consumption should use the batteries until they are fully consumed (or if grid source becomes available, the priority of energy source switches to the grid until batteries capacity become above half (say 60% full).

The solar feed into the batteries will be available all day as there is sunshine most of the day. The panels would be charging the batteries while the they are being consumed to supply electricity to the house. The solar panels do not have the option to supply AC to the house. They are only set to supply DC into the batteries (as long as there is sun light).

All consumption from the batteries DC should obviously go through an AC converter into the house.

Solar panels can have micro inverters integrated with each if this allows the panels to charge the batteries more efficiently.

What are the Victron components needed (including battery consumption and electricity usage monitoring). How many lithium batteries are needed in case 10A are used on average up to 3.5Kw capacity is used (220v voltage is used).

kmlh22 asked
daver-1 answered ·

1 Answer

GlobalLink 520 Uk coverage

I’ve just ordered a GlobalLink 520 for remote monitoring of my boat solar but can find a difinitive map coverage for the uk. Mainly Gloucestershire.

Has anyone got one in the uk?

Simon Coram asked
thshh commented ·

6 Answers

Multiplus ii external current sensor for current limiter

Dear all,

Where can i find the documentation of the external current sensor of the multiplus?

what functions does it has or how it works exactly?

when i set my current limiter to 35A in the multiplus ii and place an external current sensor.

can the multiplus ii draw 45A?

[image]

*yea i know i should change the picture of the multiplus to a multiplus ii :D

marc-heide asked
Richard Weir answered ·

2 Answers

344 Posts
317 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts

JohnC
545 Points