NMEA 2000 - N2K Image

NMEA 2000 - N2K

CCGX crashes the NMEA bus

I have installed a LiFePo4 system in my boat (see diagram). When I insert the VE Can -> N2K cable in the CCGX the whole N2K system is wiped out. It happened before, when I had connected the CCGX after the MultiPlus Remote Panel. Having changed it to the present set up it worked well. That was last season. This season, after having installed Load Disconnect and Charge Disconnect it doesn't work. Any clues? 120097 LiFePo4 inst incl Alt & Gen v10.pdf

mats-ohlsson asked
mats-ohlsson answered ·

3 Answers

Connecting Smartsolar 150/70 ve.can to N2K network kills the network

Hi all!

I have a fully functineing NMEA 2000 network on my boat. I am trying to add a Smartsolar 150/70 using a Victron ve.can-NMEA 2000 cable. The fuse is removed. A soon as i attach the cable to the N2K network i start getting network form error. I get over 200 errors/second. Removing the cable its back to normal.

An Error 20 is a “Form Error” which is….

CAN Form Errors

In CAN, the End of Frame, ACK Delimiter, and CRC Delimiter are all fixed format fields that are always recessive. If a node detects a dominant bit in any of these, a form error will be flagged.

Any suggestions?

urbansk asked
urbansk edited ·

0 Answers

Can the VE.direct port on the smart shunt be connected to the NMEA 2K bus via the Ve.direct to N2K cable converter?

A stupid question: the VE.direct port on the smart shunt can be connected to the NMEA 2K bus via the Ve.direct to N2K cable converter?

if not, why?

Thanks

Sv

ger50 asked
Paul B edited ·

1 Answer

Unable to connect to Cerbo GX from Raymarine Axiom using the Victron App

When I try to connect to the Cerbo GX using the Victron app on the Raymarine Axiom MFD I get a connection error "no hardware found" and the application does not start.

The Cerbo GX is connected to the NMEA2000 network using a Victron VE.Can to NMEA2000 cable and the Raymarine Axiom MFD is connected to the same NMEA2000 network. The NMEA2000 network works fine and is properly terminated. Since the Axiom is connected to an Quantum 2 rader with cable the Axiom must connect to the Cerbo GX through the NMEA2000 network.

The NMEA network diagnostic screen on the Axion shows not only the Cerbo GX. But also all the devices connected to the Cerbo GX with VE.CAN, VE.Bus or VE.Direct. Attached is the NMEA2000 network diagnostics from the Axiom listing all the NMEA2000 devices as well as the Victron devices that the Axiom can find on the NMEA2000 network.

- The Raymarine Axiom is running the latest lighthouse operating system (v3.13.103 Edgartown)

- The NMEA2000 network is powered separately and the fuse in the VE.Can to NMEA2000 cable is removed

- The Raymarine Axiom can see the Cerbo GX on the NMEA2000 network (and all devices connected to the Cerbo GX, including tanks)

- The Cerbo GX and all connected Victron devices are all running the latest firmware

- All data from the Cerbo GX are visible on the NMEA2000 netowork and can be displayed in other ways such as webguages with yachtdevices wifi gateway

- On the Cerbo GX: one VE.Can port has a VE.Can terminator and the other VE.Can port is connected to the NMEA2000 network using the VE.Can to NMEA2000 cable

- The NMEA2000 network is a Raymarine SeaTalkNG network

- The VE.Can to NMEA2000 cable is connected to a SeaTalkNG<->NMEA2000 cable that is connected to a "white" device port on a Raymarine 5-way

Cerbo VE.Can port settings:
- CAN-bus profile: VE.Can & Lynx Ion BMS 250 kbit/s,
- NMEA2000-out: Enabled

NMEA2000 network diagnostic from Raymarine Axiom

Diagnostics_Network.json.zip

NMEA2000 network diagram

NMEA2000_network_(SeaTalkNG).png

djingis asked
kees123 commented ·

3 Answers

Raymarine integration in nk2 network with several Victron devices that send battery data.

I have several devices in nk2 networks that send battery data such as Multiplus, MPPT, rec-bms and smart shunnt. Without modifications, only two batteries will appear on Raymarine instruments. (I have 3 battery banks) Based on testing to display battery data correctly on Raymarine, we have used a programmable interface and changed "device instance" and "data instance" to see how data is presented on Raymarine display. Changing the device instance as described in the Victron GX manual chapter 11.5.4 does not change anything on Raymarine instruments! (Tried this from the venus os menu as well) When we change the data instance, the battery is presented correctly. This was also the case on thread eg posted about 1 year ago about data instance. The question is why device instance is made available in menu on Venus os and manual describe that change of data instance is not recommended?

Anyone have experiences to share that can confirm this? Do other manufacturers use device instance for numbering batteries?

Jonny Sollid asked
nfluester answered ·

6 Answers

VE.Can to NMEA 2000 cable bad?

I just bought a new VE.Can to NMEA 2000 cable as I didn't have one on my current boat. I wanted it so I could leverage the CCGX 2.40 feature of sending data out on my NMEA 2000 network.

I've spent the last 45 minutes troubleshooting and can't get it to work. I've installed these several times before, and have a very documented and extensive NMEA 2000 network. I've tried both VE.Can ports on the CCGX, rebooting, power cycling, upgrading to v2.40 via SD card from the beta, moving the VE.Can to NMEA 2000 cable to four different NMEA 2000 ports on my network, and have validated everything else on the network is working correctly.

Either this brand new cable or my CCGX are faulty, or there is another setting I am missing. At the minimum, even without v2.40, the CCGX should be showing tank levels (I have multiple Maretron TLAs for tanks) as it has in the past, but I see nothing.

I've turned on the new CAN-Bus feature including Send Data to VE.Can, but something more basic is not working.

I also have Actisense and Maretron software and can see the devices on the network, and Victron has never shown up in any of the testing.

Is there a pin out diagram for the cable so I can test it, or another way to test the VE.Can ports?

Steve Mitchell asked
tquigs edited ·

3 Answers

Battery SOC data from NMEA

I have battery state of charge, temp, voltage (and lot's of other battery data) available on my N2K network coming from 3rd party sensors. Can I read this data from NMEA via Ve.Can into Cerbo GX and use this data to control Victron equipment (MPPT and Multiplus) attached via the Victron network (VE.Bus / VE.Direct)?

jasonclipper asked
jasonclipper answered ·

3 Answers

Connect CCGX to SeeLevel N2K tank monitor interface

I apologize if I missed something already posted, but I’m trying to connect an N2K SeeLevel Tank monitor to a CCGX.

I am a bit confused as to what I physically need to facilitate this connection.

I have no other N2K “network” or system in place, and only have the CCGX and the SeeLevel (N2K enabled) controller head.

Is there a cable I can buy (or pinouts for a cable I can make myself) to connect these devices directly to each other?

There was a reference made by @mvader (Victron Energy)

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/6170/rv-c-can-bus-tank-monitors.html

as follows:

For clarity, the “Victron N2K adapter to which @ben refers is just a plug converter goes from micro-c n2k style to RJ-45 Victron VE.Can style.

No electrical components or software in there.

which makes me wonder if I can connect them directly??

Your help is greatly appreciated

Thanks

geomz asked
geomz edited ·

2 Answers

VE.CAN + NMEA 2000 + Fischer Panda Generator

I'm planning on an install with the following VE.Can devcies: Cerbo GX and Lynx Smart BMS. I am also planning on installing a Fischer Panda generator, and would like to use the J1939 connection method so I can log data from the generator as well as do automatic start/stop. Last, but not least I would like to have the Victron data on the N2K network to display on the chartplotter.

What would the best way to accomplish this? Reading the VE.CAN to NMEA2000 documentation, it appears that it would be best to have a VE.CAN to N2K cable for each device, but should I do that with the generator as well?

Alternatively, maybe it would be easier to keep a separate VE.Can network with just Cerbo GX, Lynx Smart Shunt, and FP generator and then install a Raspberry Pi w/ N2K and SignalK and pull the Victron data over MQQT?

hoeken asked

0 Answers

VE.Can to NMEA2000 - What data?

I bought a VE.Can to NMEA2000 cable. thinking it would show me lots of data, now I'm not so sure, and as Cerbo GX is limited to 2 Can connections only, I'm tempted to dispense with it.

I currently have a Multiplus and a REC BMS, connected, what data would these provide over NMEA2000 that I can not see already?

jokani asked
kevgermany edited ·

1 Answer

Connecting 2 GX Devices, separate systems, 1 x Multiplus & Battery

Reposting from a comment to an older answer by @wkirby as a new question....

Further to your answer, where you say you can connect a 2nd GX device, but not share between the 2 GX's:

I already have a Multiplus with CCGX plus a separate existing extensive N2K network on a boat & want to expand monitoring to include several tanks, wireless temp monitors & share some data from each of the CCGX & Cerbo with the exisiting N2K network.

I am happy to keep the the 2 GX devices as separate systems (but effectively sitting on the same N2K network), and would prefer not to replace the CCGX with Cerbo+Touch 50/70 for the existing "House" Electrical system which has been working well for 3+ years:

Would it be possible to add Cerbo via VE CAN to CCGX and then connect the Cerbo to the N2K network via a single VE Can to NMEA 2000 cable?

Many thanks

Andy

andy-2xs asked
andy-2xs edited ·

0 Answers

Tank 140 on CerboGX - Device instance NMEA2000 incorrect

My Raymarine MFD will not be able to handle a tank with a device instance greater than 5. My CerboGX currently gives my first tank on the Tank 140 a device instance as 10 on NMEA2000, and the second tank as 11. (I have an Actisense NGT-1)

Is there a way to amend these instance values to something Raymarine can understand?

devodave asked
devodave edited ·

2 Answers

Dummies guide to Cerbo - NMEA - Raymarine

I have read several posts and the manual but I still can't make sense of how to get the Cerbo data to display on either my Raymarine I70 or Axiom display!

i have the app working through the Raynet cable which is nice but I also have the NMEA cable wired from Cerbo to the Seatalk NG network (NMEA2000).

I am looking to get tanks and battery data out.

I can see everything listed on the under the NMEA listings on the Axiom but can find them when i tr to add to a new page.

I have read several posts on here regarding changing Device instances on the Cerbo or having to telnet into the Cerbo and change the Data instances i find the manual rather ambiguous!

has anyone done it and can give me an idiots guide please?

nfluester asked
devodave answered ·

4 Answers

Feature Request: Ability to turn NMEA 2000 GPS off

Just like the title says, would love to see the ability via a toggle switch in the GPS sub-menu to turn off/block the NMEA 2000 GPS PGNs.

I would like to turn the GPS off while still retaining the ability to output on the N2k network.

ofernander asked
pau1phi11ips commented ·

1 Answer

Control CerboGX relays via CZone with VE.Can to NMEA2000 ?

Hello,

I want to connect my Cerbo GX to the NMEA2000 network using the VE.CAN->NMEA2000 cable (ASS030520200). Would it then be possible to control the relays of the CerboGX via the NMEA2000 network (i.e. via CZone) ?

Would it also be possible to read out the binary-inputs of the Cerbo GX via the NMEA2000 network?

Roel

Roel Broersma asked
remco-halman commented ·

0 Answers

Followers

91 Posts
76 Users
2 Followers

Topic Experts

Stefanie
290 Points
mrt