smart shunt Image

smart shunt

This topic has been merged into smartshunt . Please use smartshunt when editing or creating new content.

SmartShunt no SOC on Cerbo

I have a SmartShunt connected to 6 lead-acid 6v batteries in a 2s3p config. SmartShunt with updated firmware, installed in April 2022, SmartShunt shows SOC in VictronConnect on iOS via Bluetooth. Added a CerboGX in May 2022 with current firmware. CerboGX does NOT show SOC. When I looked at the network config of the SmartShunt in VictronConnect it shows it is sending voltage and current data but that's all. I assume it needs to show that it's sending SOC or the CerboGX won't be able to display SOC. How do I add SOC to the data the SmartShunt is sending over VE.direct. I also have a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100|20 connected via VE.direct and I'm getting what I want from it. Since adding the CerboGX I've only discharged to 98% and back up to 100%, I don't think I need a full cycle since I can already see SOC value in VictronConnect app so obviously the SmartShunt has figured out SOC.

[image]

seafur asked
seafur edited ·

2 Answers

data from Victron Shunt to built system

I put in the shunt to get real data before just guessing. so i have some good data but not sure how to turn this data into sizing the right system for my camper. is there a good calculator out there that I can plug thus data into so I know what i really need?

chadd-warwick asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Should i use Multiplus2 temp sensor or SmartShunt temp sensor?

The multiplus 2 comes with a temperature sensor for the battery. I have the smart shut which also allows for a temperature sensor. These seem redundant which one should I should I use?.

duswami asked
Sarah answered ·

2 Answers

Metering Overall DC Loads (and Excluding Sources) When System Includes a Third Party Inverter/Charger?

Disclaimer: While I am somewhat experienced in the area of off-grid electrical systems, I have yet to have any hands-on experience with Victron's products, so the following question comes from the perspective of someone who has only been able to read the datasheets and manuals.

A friend of mine is tired of having to run the noisy fuel-guzzling generator every day to recharge the battery bank on his 49 ft sailboat. Instead of incrementally installing random PV panels until the problem goes away, he wants to first install equipment for recording his DC usage this cruising season so that he can determine his real-world requirements and design a system that balances the desire for extra capacity against seaworthiness concerns and aesthetic considerations.

The plan is to meter the loads downstream of any charging equipment, so as to not have the data obscured when the "service"/"house" battery bank is being charged, such as when motor-sailing or running the generator. For typical DC loads, this is fairly straightforward, and Victron's SmartShunt product in "DC energy meter" mode looks like a good option. If combined with one of Victron's "GX" products, I gather there is even the option of taking the sum of the values from multiple SmartShunts in "DC System" mode, which would be convenient if my friend later decides that he wants to get collect data on individual system branches while still seeing/recording his overall energy use.

The main complicating factor is his third party inverter/charger, which can either be a DC load or a DC source, depending on whether or not he's got the generator running (or is connected to shore power). Short of replacing the inverter/charger with discrete devices, I can think of a few approaches to this issue, some of which are better than others, but none of which seem ideal:

• We could install a single SmartShunt downstream of the inverter/charger, but then we'll fail to account for all of the DC that goes into supporting AC devices via the inverter.

• We could install parallel SmarShunts (one for the inverter/charger and one for everything else), but then I would imagine our "DC System" readings in the GX software will be thrown off whenever the inverter/charger is in charging mode.
    • A less-than-complete workaround here would be to suppress/zero-out the readings from the inverter/charger's SmartShunt whenever the inverter/charger is acting as a source. Is there a way to do this in the GX software? If not, has anyone achieved this by using a high-current relay/contactor to bypass the SmartShunt and short the inverter/charger's DC- connection directly to the upstream DC- bus? (I'm imagining an AC relay/contactor that is activated whenever generator/shorepower is live.)

• I have characterized the workaround discussed in the previous sub-point as less-than-complete because it fails to allow us to take into account for what the DC inverter's consumption would have hypothetically been if generator had never been switched on. Does anyone have a solution here? Does Victron have a standalone GX-compatible AC current sensor that we could use to record the load on the third-party inverter/charger's AC output at times when it is in AC bypass mode due to generator/shorepower (and only at those times)? The idea would be to convert use the data for these periods into estimations of what our inverter/charger's DC use would have been had the generator/shorepower not been online, taking into account the inverter's conversion loss.

Thanks in advance for any solutions!

aaron508 asked

0 Answers

Do i need seperate Bluetooth dongles for MPPT CC and Multiplus II

I want to view both the SS MPPT CC and the Multiplus II in Victron Connect. Not using a GX device. Do I need to use two separate Bluetooth dongles for each device? I have one, it appears the smart shunt, and the CC have BT built in.. Limited range.

duswami asked
Alexandra commented ·

1 Answer

Self consumption global link smart solar and bmv shunt

I have a system with smart solar 100/50, bmv-712 smart shunt, lead carbon 212ah (12v in parallell) and a global link 520 installed with three 330w solar panels in different directions, two on the roof and one on the wall (for winter sun, daylight only three ours in december). All cable wiring is done with 35mm2 cables. The + is connected to a bus bar for consumers in the cabin e.g lights. The victron components are connected directly to the battery and the minus side of the battery to the shunt.

I have a breaker to switch off all consumers in the cabin. When leaving the cabin for winter, only the victron equipment are running. I noticed that the reported amperage drawing is between 0.09 to 0.1 amps during the night when solar panels are not producing. When reading the specifications of the smart solar 100/50 the draw is 30mah, for the Bmv 1mah and the global link 20mah which would lead to a self consumption of 51mah or 0.051a. As it seems from the reported self consumption my system consumes between 90 to 100mah which would lead to roughly 2 amp draw each 24 hours during winter time. I'm concerned this might cause my batteries to be drained if bad weather for long time period.

I also noticed that the RSSI signal of the Global link to be -93db, could this affect the power draw to increase due to low signal, for the globallink trying to increase the signal and draw more power? The temperature in the cabin can be below -30 degrees in winter, and I'm concerned the batteries may be discharged or freeze if the self consumption is to high.

Any feedback is appreciated!

aspn asked

0 Answers

Victron SmartShunt 500A voltage reading issue

I have two complete solar systems mostly based on Victron components.

System 1: 48V Quattro 5000/120, 150/70 SCC, SmartShunt 500A, CerboGX, Touch 70 Screen.

System 2: 24V Phoenix 3000/24, 250/60 SCC, SmartShunt 500A, CerboGX, Lynx Distributor, Touch 50 screen.

When observing the system voltage on the Touch 70 and 50, or in the VRM App, the system voltage on my smaller 24V Phoenix based system always reads the voltage OVER 2V lower than it actually is. The voltage at the shunt and every point in the system reads for example 29.2V with a voltmeter, and the 250/60 SCC display and in the Victron connect app SCC device. The SmartShunt 500A reports 26.16V in the VRM, CerboGX and the Victron Connect App for the device.

My 48V Quattro bsaed system shows the correct voltage everywhere including the SmartShunt. All Victron devices have the current firmware updates. I have done two factory resets and reconfig on the SmartShunt with no luck.

I have found other reports of the same thing throughout the internet with no resolution. Could this be a defective SmartShunt or is there a resolution to this issue? Anyone?

repro asked
trevor-bird answered ·

1 Answer

Syncing Multiplus and Shunt SOC

My Victron shunt and Multiplus are showing 2 different SOC readings. The shunt is showing 100% but the 24/3000/70 is showing anywhere from 70-80% SOC. I have programmed the shunt to know that the battery bank has 412aH @ 24v nominal.

How do I know which reading is accurate, or if either of them even are correct at all?

love2learn asked
trevor-bird commented ·

1 Answer

Victron Smartshunt shut off?

I have the victron Smartshunt 500A version.. all is fine except i was expecting it to the battery once it discharges to the set discharge %.. reading the manual again i don't see anything like that mentioned.. although the separate BMV meter mentions something about a relay being set at discharge level.. was it my bad assumption that this device would disconnect the battery at the discharge floor?

If so how are those of you who want that getting it done? do i need to wire up ve.direct and send a signal to inverter to shut off? was heading toward rasp pi and venus fat anyway.. but thought there maybe a simpler solution.

Cheers

Ian

ianleu asked
Paul B answered ·

1 Answer

smart shunt trend and current firmware?

the manual implies that you can get several days of information by looking at the trend, but I only see what has happened since I started that session? what could be going wrong? While Victron Connect says I have the correct firmware, what is the most up to date version for the smart shunt?

kenf150 asked
kenf150 answered ·

2 Answers

SmartShunt with Dual Battery Switch II

Hello everyone, I have just bought a van and would like to modernise the electrical system a bit by adding 2 extra batteries for the services. The Van already has 2 batteries with an intelligent Dual Battery Switch II (https://www.camperclick.it/products/dual-battery-switch-ii).

I would also like to add a SmartShunt so that I can control the batteries via Bluetooth.

I was inspired by the diagram in the manual for monitoring the starter battery and I drew this diagram.

[image]

With such a wiring harness via the app I can see the consumption/charging of the batteries (in Amper) and the voltage of the 2 packs individually, right?

What do you think? Is there a way to improve the wiring and get more information?

PS: For a Van with a maximum momentary consumption of 4kW (4000W/12V=333A) is a 500A SmartShunt sufficient?

hollla asked

0 Answers

Sharing temperature between smart battery sense and smartshuunt?

I would very much like to make sure that Smart battery sense can share the temperature with the smartshuunt to compensate for capacity, and not just with smartsolar.

Because my smartshuunt has no temperature sensor because I need the engine battery voltage reading. Is it possible to do this? If this is not possible, it would be very convenient for victronenergy to implement this possibility via firmware in the future.

FRA asked
FRA edited ·

1 Answer

How do I resetten smart Batteryprotect

Hello

I have a smart batteryprotect 12/24V 65A. I try to resetten the pincode, but it does not work. I use the 3 dots and enter the PUK-code. The answer is: function not available.

How do I resetten this device?

Thnxs Harm Abel

harmabel asked
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

1 Answer

Breaker & Fuse sizing Multiplus II 48/3000 35

A bit new to this so apologies in advance.

Equipment:

MultiPlus II 48/3000 35 120v

SSCC MPPT 150/45

Lynx Dist

SmartShunt

4 x 12v 200ah lead acid bats (48v)

Solar array output 1480w 96v 20amp

So I thought I had fusing with the lynx distributor and breaker sizing for the Multiplus all figured out, but doubting myself again.

First, fuse sizing the battery, charge controller and inverter at the lynx distributor.... I figured if the inverter with power assist runs at the full 3000w off my 48v batteries it draws approx 62 Amps. So, I'm thinking 60+ amp fuse is correct for the battery, CC and inverter??? The inverter manual states that the max charging current is 35 Amps. Consequently, on the AC side, I have a 60amp breaker for both the AC IN and AC OUT in the service panel. But after reading endless posts I'm doubting myself. Anyone see anything off here?

duswami asked
seb71 commented ·

2 Answers

How to manage smartschunt + smart battery sense in data transmission to smartsolar??

Hello, I have a smartsolar 100/30 on the VE network. SMART with smartshuunt and smart battery sense.

Now, smartschunt don't have the temperature sensor because I need the engine start battery voltage function.

The smartsolar receive from smartshuunt current and battery voltage. And receive from battery sense only the temperature.

But I would like the smartsolar to receive only the current from the smartshuunt. And that it receives temperature and voltage from the smart battery sense. It's possible?

FRA asked

0 Answers

Followers

432 Posts
175 Users
2 Followers

Topic Experts

Stefanie
121 Points