smart shunt Image

smart shunt

2 smart shunts connected

Hello, greetings to everyone from Panama. I have a Smart shunt connected to my circuit and it works perfect. I would like to connect another battery meter with display to the back of my canopy, the question is: can I connect the battery meter with display to the negative cable coming out of the Smart shunt towards the load? from the battery to the Smart shunt, the output to the load from the Smart shunt to the new battery meter and its output to the load. This is possible?

yekuana asked
steffen-graap answered ·

2 Answers

Smart shunt install in travel trailer

Our new to us travel trailer has two chassis ground cables, one at the negative battery terminal and one from the Power Center. The Power Center cable is common to the 12V ground bus and the 110V bonding system and is in a different location than the forward connection. In addition to the ground cable on the negative battery terminal there is also a ground cable back to the negative ground bus in the converter. I am trying to decide how to install the smart shunt for the BMV 712 and it is raising some questions. It seems to me that two chassis grounds are incorrect so eliminating one of them would be best but...the converter ground is in a more weatherproof part of the chassis and is well protected with no corrosion, but at the rear of the trailer. Batteries are in the front with the other connection that should be eliminated and is pretty corroded anyway. How could I install the smart shunt properly in this situation?

jagizzi asked
kevgermany commented ·

1 Answer

Smart Shunt not connecting VE Direct Cerbo GX

Just installed a Cerbo GX and Smart Shunt.

Powered everything on, and no smart shunt on the Cerbo. I do see it on bluetooth, so I updated the firmware. I have not yet tried a full power cycle. I did reboot the Cerbo a few times.

Not sure if related, but the Multiplus also did not show up on the cerbo. I connected that to VE Bus ethernet port. I plan to try a separate ethernet cable, also had trouble with MK3 to USB adapter to update firmware on Multi.

Was a crazy day. Any advice or trouble shooting ideas would be awesome!

neoneddy asked
neoneddy answered ·

4 Answers

history reset on smart shunt

I have LiFePo4 batteries for service and an AGM starter battery connected to smart shunt.

I would like to reset history for only starter battery (I will renew only this one) not for the service batteries.

Is it possible? How ?

Thank you

alihakano asked
Matthias Lange - DE commented ·

1 Answer

SmartShunt “cannot connect, Bluetooth is busy”

The SmartShunt is greyed out and now says another device is connected to it. My phone is the only device I’ve used. I’ve disconnected, restarted my phone, airplane mode etc. I installed the app on my iPad and it’s the same deal with the greyed out SmartShunt, so it’s definitely that. I don’t know what to do. I looked at similar questions and there are no solutions.

komakes asked
ronald-v-i edited ·

2 Answers

VE.Smart networking or DVCC ?

With a simple system, all DC without inverter but with a GX device + MPPT + smartshunt with temp. sensor and GEL batteries, which is the correct way to compensate temperature?

a) Enable BLE smart.network and join MPPT and smartshunt; or

b) Enable DVCC on GX device and select Smartshunt as the Battery monitor/ temperarture sensor

Or... both (not at same time) work?

Elimac asked
Elimac edited ·

2 Answers

Feature Request: BMV-712 Hide Relay State

Not a major change but would love to be able to toggle to hide the "relay state: open/closed" on the front view when not used at all on the victron connect app.

Mitchell Stone asked

0 Answers

wiring question for smart shunt

Hi, I have a smart shunt in my camping solar system. I have bought an A/C charger from Victron as well and want to hard wire it into my system. My question is on the ground do I go direct to the battery negative or do I go downstream of the shunt like all my other ground connections. The confusion for me is all electric users are downstream but this is a supplier so does it matter if it is upstream or downstream of the smart shunt?

cartagena-pirate asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

Smart Shunt Bluetooth Module Disable Bluetooth to eliminate duplicates?

I have a Smart Shunt without the display. The bluetooth was so poor that I bought one of the stand alone Bluetooth module. Sure enough it worked. The only problem I have is that the shunt and the BT module both show up on my app under the same name. Is it possible to disable just the Shunt's bluetooth without doing the BT module? Do I just go into the app and hit disable bluetooth?

Thanks

cossie1600 asked
pcurtis commented ·

2 Answers

Hi, can i have two smartshunt in the same ESS system?

I have two batteries and each battery has a smartshunt, i cannot understand if it reads both as One or if it only uses One as "main" shunt!.

andre-godinho asked
warwick commented ·

1 Answer

Smart Battery Sense vs. Smart Shunt

Sorry a nob to this. I have read the smart Shunt offers more info the the Smart battery sense but do not understand how it is better.

Also of you have 2 batteries can yo wire to just one since they are in parallel or do you go to pos on one and neg on the other?

thanks

rstrapple asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

500a Smart Shunt not monitoring correctly

I have a 500a smart shunt attached to 2 300ah lithium batteries connected through parallel wiring to my RV. I connected the shunt correctly with the negative from the battery going to the side that say battery and the other to the rv. I am connected through onshore power yet the shunt shows 4.4amp draw. This continued until it showed 0 SOC but the voltage was still 13.3 and shore power was still powering the coach. Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

[image]

nathanatan asked
pwfarnell commented ·

2 Answers

SmartShunt 500a Won't Allow Manual State of Charge

Hi all,

I have a SmartShunt 500a installed with 3 - 100Ah LiFePO4 batteries. In the Victron app, I have applied the default battery settings for those batteries. For the past few months, the SmartShunt operated "normally". However, I've noticed 2 unique things that I haven't been able to figure out.

1. I tried updating the state of charge (SOC), but the Victron app won't accept my changes. It takes whatever I enter and automatically changes it to 100%. I know that my batteries are not at 100% capacity for several reasons.
  2. The Victron app shows 20 total synchronizations, although I've only manually synchronized 3 or 4 times. This entire system, including the batteries, is new as of May 2021 and I have not cycled the batteries more than 3 times. So, I'm curious why it synchronizes so much. Is that "random" synchronization related to the issue I'm having with manually setting the SOC?

I'm happy to attach any images of the Victron app and I welcome any thoughts. Thanks!

bjsorensen asked
Mike Dorsett answered ·

1 Answer

Smart shunt and Lorawan

Hi

I have just bought a Victron Smatt Shunt and noticed the very low bluethooth signal range. So i want to extend that and if possible by connecting the shunt to the internet.

I already use lorawan in my Camper/RV. It has a TTN gateway and a LTE modem. So i would very much like to connect the Smart shunt by the Victron lorawan module. BUT I read the shunt is not supported though it does have a ve.direct port.

Has anyone tried it as suggested in this tread? .https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/79235/smartshunt-vedirect-lorawan-are-compatible-to-send.html

henk-victron asked

0 Answers

Smartshunt + VE.Direct LoRaWAN are compatible to send SmartShunt data to VRM Portal?

I think to connect a Smartshunt with a VE Direct LoRaWAN, to read remotely the battery State of Charge and other parameters Smartshunt may send to the VRM Portal.

Is this a legitimate, feasible use case supported by Victron? Anybody tested this configuration?

I read VE Direct LoRaWAN manual but I do not see compatibility with the SmartShunt. Thus my questions above.

Below an excerpt form the VE Direct LORaWAN manual:

Product compatibility

This module has one VE.Direct port and is compatible with:

• All MPPT Solar Charge Controllers which have a VE.Direct Port
  • BMV Battery Monitor 700 series
  • BMV Battery Monitor 712 Smart series
  • Phoenix Inverter VE.Direct models

The module is not compatible with our Peak Power Packs - even though they have a VE.Direct Port.

More information is also available on our website: https://www.victronenergy.com/panel-systems-remote-monitoring/ve-direct-lorawan

andreir asked
henk-victron answered ·

2 Answers

Battery Protect not waiting 90 seconds

I have a Battery Protect 220. The loads are all on the correct side.

I have a charger/inverter (not victron, sadly) and that is not protected with the battery protect because it's a charger. Thus, I was hoping to use the relay contact on the BP to disconnect the charger/inverter. I haven't done that yet.

The issue is when the charger/inverter line is reconnected, the BP disconnects and reconnects. It does not wait 90 seconds. It does not display anything on the segment display. Neither the BP nor the smartshunt register a drop in voltage. I don't have an ammeter capable of measuring the inrush current.

Any ideas?

semaphore asked

0 Answers

Adding a physical monitor like the BMV-700 to an existing Smart Shunt?

I already have a Smart Shunt that includes the bluetooth connection. I'm pleased with the phone access and Victron app - however I'd like to go ahead and add a physical readout display, something that looks like the BMV-700. However, I don't need to purchase another shunt. Is there a way to add just the monitor readout to my existing Smart Shunt without purchasing the entire BMV-700 kit which also comes with a shunt?

troubledog asked
scubadoo answered ·

5 Answers

Check my wiring diagram (12V DC only)

Hi everyone,

I'd love to get some feedback on my diagram. This is for a DC-only system in 12V.

I'd like to check remotely on the battery SOC, so it looks like the Smart Shunt + Cerbo with a router will be the best way to do that. Unless someone has a better suggestion?

I went with the Lithium Superpack to save a bit of money by not having to get an external BMS. If there are other ways to make it cheaper without losing functionality, please let me know.

I'm still figuring out the distribution box, so that part of the diagram is just a placeholder at this stage.

Cheers

[image]

san asked
shea answered ·

1 Answer

cerbo GX battery percentage false reading

Hi, I have a client with a 12v 3kva multiplus unit connected to a cerbo gx screen with a smart shunt. He has sent me a video of the battery percentage readout on the cerbo gx screen which while charging, it jumps from its actual percentage (74%) down to 1% and back constantly. It only does this while charging and it is mimicked on the VE connect app via bluetooth. Any thought as to what could be causing it?

jamie-noble asked
panorama-charter edited ·

4 Answers

My NMEA network looses instance ID when cerbo looses power.!
  1. Currently we use Cerbo GX to read data from the smart shunts (500A) and Bluesolar regulators (MPPT 75/15). The regulators data instance ID goes to default whenever I lose the power to the Cerbo GX. But this doesn't happen to the smart shunts, they come live and start to send data when it again powered. I got three smart shunts and 7 regulators. All my smart shunts are connected to Cerbo directly using VE direct cables and the regulators were connected through powered USB hub.
  2. ( Here, am using NMEA reader to set the data instance). Whenever I lose the power, I have to reconnect the actisense and set the data instance again.
  3. I'm using Empirbus system to monitor all these data and the end result is no info from regulators due to this. The PGN number is 127 508.
  4. From my understanding, the pgn is forgetting the data instance ID whenever a power outage happens in Cerbo. But this only happens with mppts.

Is there any fix for this?

edwin-earthcruiser asked

0 Answers

Bad reading of battery voltage on Shunt

Hello,

I have a smart shunt connected to my main battery. Everything if fine. I have decided to connected the engine battery on the other input of the smartshunt using the extra cabble that was supplied. the reading of the engine battery is only displaying 3V although the tension is 1 about 13 volts on the engine battery…

I have conneted then this engine cable to the main battery, I have the same reading of about 3 volts, although the reading of the main battery is reading about 13 volts on the top part of the screen on the app:

I have tried to change the setting from engine battery to no input then back to engien battery, still the same.

Any idea of what it could be? I have had this shunt connected fr more than one year to the main battery with no reading issues, why the reading would be wrong on the engine battery?

thanks

joholi asked
joholi commented ·

1 Answer

Low Temperature Cutoff not working

Hello

I have a Smart Shunt with latest firmware with a ve.smart networking setup to 2 MPPT 100/50 and 4 Ip22 12/30 chargers.

Everything is using the Lifepo4 profile with a low temp cutoff of 5 degrees C

It simply doesnt work with the charging continuing at 4 degrees C

Everythings firmware is up to date and the synchronised charging works perfectly but alas not so the low temperature cut off

Any ideas as to why?

duane asked
mvader (Victron Energy) commented ·

4 Answers

Multiple (10) Smart Shunts to CerboGX

I'm planning on adding a Victron VRM monitoring system to an existing workboat. It currently has three Skylla-i chargers and 10 (yes 10!) different battery banks. I'd like to see battery information on the 10 banks, plus the Skylla-i info plus Incoming 3-phase from Generator /shorepower on VRM via CerboGX. I can see how to do most of it, but not how to 'Network' 10 smart shunts. This looks like it may be possible with Lynx Shunt VE.CAN but it's too expensive for the project.

athwaites asked
mrhappy commented ·

2 Answers

Monitoring a second battery

If I want to monitor my starter battery voltage would I even need to run a separate ground wire since the starter battery and the house batteries are both already grounded to the chassis?

bigb asked
mrhappy answered ·

1 Answer

Smart Shunt Current Threshold

So if the current threshold is set to .10 it will ignore any current draw up to .10, but if there is a draw of say .13 will the Smart Shunt see all of the .13 or just .03? In other words will it always ignore .10 of the total current or just ignore loads that total less than .10?

bigb asked

0 Answers

Smarth shunt energy consumption

I am neavly installed smarth shunt, my main concern to learn my 24 hours energy consumption. I will decided to enlarge may solar panells and battery bank according to my 24 hours enery consumption

ersin asked
bigb answered ·

1 Answer

Smart Shunt Charged Voltage

I installed my Smart Shunt on my 230 AH FLA battery bank and set the charged voltage to the recommended 13.2V. After loading for 4 hours at 10 amps I was at 83% when I disconnected the load and connected the charger (IP65 12/15). The SOC display reached 100% while the charger was still in absorption. Is this acceptable or would my SOC display be more accurate if I raised the charged voltage to a point where SOC would not reach 100% till the charge went to float?

bigb asked
bigb answered ·

2 Answers

Can the IP22 charger be programmed to act like the Smart Solar charge controller

I have a Smart Solar 100 | 20 charge controller which gets power from a 165W panel. I also have an IP22 charger which connects to the battery via the same bus as the charge controller. The battery is a 100Ah Battleborn lithium, and on the negative of the battery I have a SmartShunt installed.

When not connected to mains, getting only solar power, the charge controller powers loads first, and uses extra to charge the battery when necessary, otherwise it cuts power from the panel. With sufficient sunlight, most of the time it just feeds about 9W of power to cover parasitic draw from a few devices in my RV that always run. The battery just stays at 100%, unless the sun goes down or behind a cloud in which case it draws from the battery. When charging, the solar charge controller starts at a relatively low voltage and ramps up slowly, until the battery is almost full, then it ramps up pretty fast until it peaks at 14.5V (configured), holds it there for 30 min, then drops to 13.5V. The SmartShunt is configured to recognize anything above 14.4V for 3 minutes as an indication of full charge. This is all great, just exactly what I expected.

But it is completely different on the IP22. If I take the solar out of the equation by cutting the panel off, the IP22 charges the battery by immediately raising the voltage to 14.5V and holding it there until it determines (presumably by current) that the battery is full. Then it holds for a bit (not sure how this is configured), then drops to float voltage (configured as 13.5V) and then drops a few hours later to storage voltage (configured as 13.5V). For whatever reason, this is not enough to convince the SmartShunt the battery is full. So the SOC value drifts over time. This is the first problem I'd like tips on solving.

The second issue is how the IP22 handles load. By which I mean it doesn't, really. At least not small loads. The 9W draw comes directly from the battery, and after some threshold is reached the IP22 wakes up, adds power to the battery, then goes back to sleep. It spends a lot of time cycling quickly between the different profile steps. This process seems to work, I guess, but it's a bit ugly to watch in my Grafana plots, and it seems much less elegant than the way the solar charge controller handles the mix of load and charging. I'd like to know if this behavior is configurable, or if it is inherent to the design of the IP22.

In my perfect world the IP22 would have a battery profile that looked a lot like the solar charge controller would look like with perfect sun at maximum capacity. And the SmartShunt would correctly reset to 100% SOC regardless of which charger tops off the battery.

Please, if you have any tips on what I may be missing here, I would sincerely appreciate it!

davidstults asked
Alexandra edited ·

1 Answer

smart Shunt

I hope this is not a silly question to ask but I have 3 x 12v batteries wired in parrallel ( + to + & - to - ) where my multi-plus inverter has two positive leads & two negitive leads coming off two batteries. When I install my smart shunt ( If correct ) I put the two negitive leads coming back from the inverter on the ground side but would I put two leads on the other side of the shunt back to the batteries or just a single lead.

mercman asked
Alexandra answered ·

2 Answers

SmartShunt with Lithims. How to go to 100% charge just on battery voltage?

So I have 400A/h of lithium batteries being charged by 4 x Victron SmartSolar MPPT's and monitored by a Smartshunt. The MPPT's get the battery voltage via bluetooth from the SmartShunt, and they all have the following settings:

Absorption voltage 14.2V
Float Voltage 13.5V
Re-bulk voltage offset 0.1V
Absorptionduration Adaptive
Maximum Absorption time 0m
Tail Current Disabled
Temperature Compensation Disabled
Low temperature cut-off 5degreesC

My MPPT's happily all go to float the instant the battery voltage hits 14.2V. Good stuff.

The SmartShunt however doesn't recognise that the battery bank has hit 100%. My SmartShunt settings are:

Battery capacity 400Ah
Charged voltage 14.1V
Discharge floor 10%
Tail Current 4%
Charged Detection Time 1m

What do I need to do to make the SmartShuntconsider the batteries full?

devodave asked
devodave commented ·

4 Answers

Followers

176 Posts
161 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

Stefanie
111 Points