virtual switch Image

virtual switch

Output voltage loss on virtual switch MultiPlus 24/3000

Setting up virtual switch on MultiPlus 24/3000 (running 2 parallel with a bank of Li-Ion batteries in 24v, Cerbo GX, and 2 SmartSolar MPPTs w/2 banks of panels). When battery conditions are met and it switches, there is a temporary loss of AC output power and everything resets (all 110/120v outlets and appliances in my RV). It is worse from battery to grid (50A 220/240v service with one leg to each of the Multi’s), but does it grid to battery as well. This is highly frustrating as it turns off tv, internet router, washer/dryer, etc. Started as a few second gap, but seems to be taking longer each time.

1. Is this a common occurrence for others running virtual switch? Would hub assistants be better (just the self-consumption or would I need more and which ones)?

2. Could this be a tug-of-war (of sorts) between the multi and the RV onboard surge protector?

bigheadprop asked
kevgermany commented ·

0 Answers

Disable AC ignore at night

Morning,

I have my Multiplus II using the virtual switch to ignore ac and use solar and battery power. This works well during the day when there is sun.

But I would like it to switch to bypass or ac during the nighttime when there is no sun. And save the batteries from being charged and discharged.

I was thinking of using an external time switch but how do I connect this to the multiplus?

I also have a raspberry pi running Venus OS if that will help.

Regards

Paul

paulbloggs asked
jasonandress commented ·

2 Answers

Can Ruvvi sensors be used to monitor and switch a heating system

I would like to know if it is possible to use the GX touch as an adjustable thermostat to control a heating system. I am aware that I can use a tanks sender to switch a relay a 2 designated resistance readings, so I could use this but then the customers heating would not be easily adjustable if he would like it a bit warmer in the evenings. I was wondering if anyone is aware if the Ruuvi units can be used as a thermostat so they switch a relay using a adjustable setting. I don't think this is possible, but I would be grateful if anyone knows a way of doing this through the GX touch and the Cerbo?

tom-donovan asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

Problem with Ignore dedicated AC input in three phase system.

Hello, I have a problem with a three-phase installation consisting of 3x Multiplus 48/5000/70-100. It is an off-grid installation with a Pylontech lithium battery bank and SmartSolar controllers, all controlled with a Cerbo GX through DVCC. The system works smoothly off-grid. But a three-phase electrical network connection was installed in the sector, and with this the house was connected to the network and increased consumption with the intention of using the electrical network.

The idea of the new operating mode is to use the solar system as a priority (and complete backup in case of grid failure), and to leave the grid as support at times when the loads exceed the capacity of the inverters or the batteries are low. For this, the virtual switch was configured in "Ignore dedicated AC input" mode, according to manuals this instruction must be configured only to Master L1 and when doing it in this way the instruction really works but only responds to the values of L1, and when it is exceeded the power (4500W) in L2 or L3 the system does not transfer, generating an overload in inverters and cutting the system. When configuring the virtual switch with the same instruction to ignore AC input in each inverter, the instruction of (no) ignore AC input definitely does not work or operate in any way, the AC input is always ignored and does not transfer at any time.

Is there a way to ignore AC input in 3 phase system and work for all 3 phases, and the system can immediately switch from inverter to main when the loads for any phase exceed the established power limit? (All devices are with updated firmwares.)

ingeniero-sumsol asked
Roman Štembera answered ·

2 Answers

Prioritize MPPT Solar Energy over Shore

I've been trying to figure this out. Spent a lot of time researching and today tried for several hours, but came up with nothing. Even tried using a Self Consumption Hub, but ended up with: Using VECONFIG I set it up and then you select a policy. All but two are deprecated. I tried the two and I could not get any AC power, I received a Error 6 - Error in DDC Program.

Victron, here is the ideal solution, which might not exist in your firmware, but it is to dynamically limit the AC Input based on the solar and based on the AC Demand.

I.E. If the AC demand is 2000 watts and we have 500 watts of solar, limit the AC Input to 1500 watts. If the Solar is 1500 watts and demand is less than that, switch to Inverter. I'm hoping, if the AC Input limiter cannot handle frequent changes, then give us a threshold. The goal is to use direct solar and avoid tapping the batteries so we aren't charge/discharge.

Please point me in the right direction, or take this as a feature request.

looknow12 asked
looknow12 commented ·

0 Answers

Split phase victron quarrto 3000/48 not charging from AC

Hello, I hope someone out there can help.

the system in question is installed on a bus with Solar but currently located in a very shaded area, from time to time we need to charge from grid.

the system has a Cerbo GX.

also in setup we disabled "Switch as Group". As suggested in other posts. As we are triying to charge from a single 120V ac input (AC Input 1)

Additionally it is in VS it is setup to start charging from ac when battery voltage drops below a 56 volts.(condition was met).

when connecting to grid, it shows volts and hertz but doesn’t start charging.

Other info:

There’s a CAN bus BMS connected and it controls solar charging perfectly.

I’ll be glad to provide any other data.

Thanks!

chenirl asked
Alexandra commented ·

0 Answers

Possible to use solar for AC out 0?

Hey there,

I am trying (and failing) to use solar energy on my EasySolar for the AC0 output.

My installation is on an RV, I have an Easysolar with the build in MPPT, some solar panels on the roof, a 200ah victron lithium battery, a BMV 712, a digital multi control and a CCGX.

As for the wiring, some loads are connected to AC0 of the multi as this is only available when a AC input is available. This is needed as for example my fridge prioritizes AC over gas thus there should be no power available when I am not connected to the grid. The fridge switches to gas automatically and my battery is not sucked dry overnight (I have no way to manually set the power source for the fridge). Same goes for the air conditioning or the electric water heating, both should not run on battery so I put them on AC0.

My issue is that when I am somewhere with power available I would like to use my batterie and the solar to power the loads on AC0 as it otherwise goes to waste and I have to pay for the consumption from the grid. But whatever I try I cannot get it to work. What I tried so far:

• using victron connect to put the multi to default island mode
  • using the virtual switch to ignore AC
  • setting up an ESS

Same result, no power to AC0 (all firmwares are up to date).

I am thinking of adding a wire with a switch to connect AC0 and AC1 but that sounds like a hack I should not need.

So before I start doing that my question to the community, is there a way to use solar on the AC0 loads? In case yes, what do I need to do?

thanks in advance,

Martin

martinsteer asked
martinsteer answered ·

4 Answers

virtual switch (vs): how to switch it depending on solar power delivery ?

Hi, I use a Quattro and a MPPT SmartSolar Charger.

I configured the Quattro, so that the VS switch the AC-Input (Shorepower), depending on the AC-Output-Power and the SOC of the batteries. For example, the AC-Input will not be ignored, if the SOC is lower than 50%.

This make it possible, that the batteries are loaded regularly from the PV (solar power modules).

This is good at summer time, but in the winter, the PV energy is to low to load the batteries. With my configuration, the batteries would be unloaded permanently to the SOC of 50% and then be loaded to about 100% from the shorepower. This procedure would be repeated every day and wouldn´t be the best for the batteries.

My idea is to optimize the configuration of the VS, that the switch depends on how the PV delivers energy (for example more than 100W) to load the batteries, or if the PV isn´t able to load the batteries enough and the shorepower is needed to do this.

Is it possible in the ve.config to configure this?

Thanks for help!

Greetings!

Rainer

bootfahrer0815 asked
Mike Dorsett answered ·

1 Answer

virtual switch (vs): Is it possible to switch it manually?

I use the VS to ignore the AC-input (shorepower) or not. If I´m on holiday and see, that the SOC of my batteries is too low, it would be fine, if I could activate the VS remotely, so that the shorepower can load my batteries. I don´t want to wait sometimes, that the system will switch the VS depending on my configured conditions for switching.

Thanks for help!

Greetings!

Rainer

bootfahrer0815 asked
Alexandra answered ·

1 Answer

Victron quattro virtual switches

Hi I have a victron quattro 48v 70amp 5kw inverter I am completely of grid with no sure power. I would like to have my generator to come on when the batterys get low. I have wired to the k1 swicth with the 12 feed to common and then switch wire to n/open. I have set up the switch via the configuration via lap top but yet the still wont work it like they just there for show. I set it for generator control and set the voltage and the percent when I wont it to come on but yet they dont do anything. Not sure if I have missed something.

Thank you in advance

corriadale asked
chenirl commented ·

1 Answer

Multiplus virtual switch set to keep batteries charged when there's no sun.

Multiplus 24/3000/70 settings, VS (virtual switch) was set to switch on to charge batteries when there's no sun or the batteries are low. Not working now!

Settings

By (igorne AC input ; VS on=do not ignore, VS off ignore.

On when UDC lower 27volts for 20 sec

Off when higher than 28 volts for 20 sec

And options of do not switch off within 1 minutes of switching on.

For some reason the VS On and Off settings were working great and now the charger just stopped charging the batteries completely.

Is it possible I missed some other settings after a firmware update?

Anyone have any ideas?

Do I need to check, Enable battery monitor?

Thanks in advance!

waynec asked
waynec edited ·

0 Answers

Ignore AC input VS function not working

I have (2) Quattro 48/5000/70-2x100 120V (FW v494) running in split phase. 95% of the time I'm in an off grid configuration but if I don't have sun for a few days (or I'm testing) I'll provide AC via the grid to the AC-2 inputs. I have setup the virtual switch to ignore the AC inputs unless the criteria is met (see configuration). The problem I'm having is I provide AC to the inputs but the Quattro's switch from inverting to AC passthrough plus charging even though the conditions haven't been met. Can some check my configuration to see if I have done something wrong? When I first installed the system this function worked properly. I used VRM remote configuration to download and make a a couple of charger configuration changes then upload. Even though VRM configuration upload didn't require a restart of the Quattro's do they need to be restarted? L1 & L2 Quattro's are configured identically.

Brian Brown asked
dunnp answered ·

2 Answers

Main Grid Failure Alert when Inverting

Can someone tell me why I get a Main Grid Failure Alarm when the Multi goes back and forth from an 'Ignore AC' condition.

Periodically, when the Multi is inverting (but connected to grid) and dedicated AC Ignore is selected in VS tab I get a Grid Failure Alarm. But the grid hasn't failed and VS functions properly, switching between Inverting and passing through Grid AC when conditions are met. In VRM portal dashboard system overview, the Grid box will show ' - ' when inverting, which I figure is normal since it's not drawing any current, but it's odd I keep getting a Grid Failure alarm. Is this the Multi's current sensor mis-reading things or is there a setting I missed somewhere? Thanks!

[image]

duswami asked
duswami commented ·

2 Answers

Virtual load output when the sun is shining

Hello,

I see there are several other posts regarding the same subject, that we want load output only when the sun is shining. I’m writing another posts as my user case is slightly different, and I hope that Victron listens to the users on this forum. The other posts show that there is no solution provided from Victron, its all workarounds.

For the user defined parameters for virtual load ouput, the user can only define the voltage for the battery, not for the panels. Should be an easy tweak to allow definition of panel voltage as well?

The streetlight function lets us define panel voltage for turning the virtual load output on/off, but only between sunset and sunrise. It should be a simple tweak to provide the option to turn it on between sunrise and sunset?

punda asked
punda edited ·

0 Answers

Main battery switch before Lynx distribution system?

I notice in the various Victron produced circuit diagrams for the Lynx system, they never put a main system switch before the Lynx distribution system/Lynx Smart BMS, however most actual people building seem to fit a physical switch between the battery and the Lynx.

Is there a reason why I should fit a physical switch?

I’m assuming people don’t like relying on the software controlled contactor In the Lynx Smart BMS?

Is this just aversion to change, or is there a good reason such as a regulatory requirment?

[image]

sweyn asked
sweyn answered ·

2 Answers

Followers

54 Posts
50 Users
3 Followers

Topic Experts

martinsteer
60 Points