mppt smart solar Image

mppt smart solar

This topic has been merged into MPPT Controllers . Please use MPPT Controllers when editing or creating new content.

Why does it start to smoke when I change the "RX port function" to "LOAD OUTPUT ON/OFF NORMAL"?

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my charger (I´ve made a resumé in the end of this post, for a short version)

I bought a SmartSolar MPPT 75/15 and 3x50w solar panels for my SAAB Toppola.

We have tested everything after the installation and there is nothing wrong with the cables, but for some reason, the charger won't let any voltage out? If I put a cable directly from the plus pole on the battery, and straight to the fuse box, everything works fine.

I bought a brand new battery and replaced the bad one.

I also made some changes within the app, just to see what happened, and when I changed the "RX port function" to "LOAD OUTPUT ON/OFF NORMAL", everything started to work. Great. So I thought, but after a short while, it started to smell funny and also a little bit of smoke came out of the left side of the regulator (it seemed to be there, at least). So we disconnected it again.

The thing is, when I was getting the vehicle back, everything worked fine. The solar panel installer guy said that he had put a battery in the back, although it was in quite bad shape, just to show that everything was working properly.

So, everything worked when I picked the car up. But later on that day, when I was going to show my son the new stuff, nothing worked. So maybe the battery was discharged completely and then something happened? This was when the old, bad battery was still there.

Another thing I noticed was that the plus cable from the extra battery charger was disconnected, which I fixed. But nothing happened regarding the power.

I have tried to read the manual multiple times, but everything seems correct according to it. .

And oh, by the way, I got a failure notice (I think that was the day everything stopped working), it said "#18 CHARGER EXCESSIVE CURRENT". And I guess that has something with the old, bad battery to do....?

So just to make a quick resumé:

- the old battery probably got totally discharged
- I have a new battery placed
- everything looks good, except the solar charger won´t let any voltage out
- everything works when I connect the battery to the fuse box directly
- everything works when I change the setting to "RX PORT FUNCTION" -> "LOAD OUTPUT ON/OFF NORMAL", but it starts overheating (don´t know exactly what)
- one cable from the ordinare car battery charger was loose, but I fixed that

oinapea asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

DE - SmartSolar 100/20 Tracker hängt bei wechselnder Bewölkung sporadisch bei 4W

Hallo!

Ich betreibe u.A. 2x SmartSolar 100/20 48V an einem ESS System.
Die beiden o.g. Laderegler scheinen sich mit den Trina Vertex S395 nicht gut zu vertragen oder beide Laderegler haben ein Problem damit?

Es sind je 2x Trina Vertex S395 in Reihe an einem 100/20 - beide haben alle paar Tage beim Wechsel von Sonne > Wolke > ein bisschen Sonne > stark bewölkt > Sonne > stark bewölkt das Problem, dass der Tracker dann wohl "hängt" und nur noch 4W Ladestrom zustande kommen.

Löse ich dann das PV-Kabel vom Laderegler und verbinde es wieder, fangen die Tracker wieder an zu arbeiten.

Laut VRM Portal sind alle Komponenten und Regler auf dem aktuellen Stand.

Ist hierzu irgendwas bekannt/was kann ich tun?

Viele Grüße!

mscn asked

0 Answers

75/15 MPPT and insufficient PV error with Firmware 1.59 issue

Hi folks,

I have a victron 75/15 MPPT hooked up to a 160w panel and 200ah AGM leisure battery, the system has been working flawlessly for years, battery replaced when needed but no issues at all, however, suddenly after upgrading to firmware version 1.59 I constantly get the insufficient PV error.

I have tried using a different panel, and different battery to no difference, having discussed this on Reddit in the victron community there,‘I’ve come across two others who also seen the same issue after upgrading to 1.59

Is there anything I can do about this, have victron issued any statements about faulty firmware, or is there a way for me to roll back to previous version which worked without any issue at all?

David Kennedy asked
stuart-browning commented ·

22 Answers

What is causing irregular wattage fluctuation in Float charge – MPPT 100/20?

Firstly, here is my solar setup on my Toyota 4Runner:

1 - Victron MPPT 100/20 charge controller (firmware 1.59) with 2, 12V cigarette lighter connections to the “Load Output”. The MPPT is networked to a Victron SmartShunt

1 - Victron SmartShunt 500 amp (firmware 4.08), networked to MPPT to provide battery voltage and temperature

1 – Renogy Eclipse 100W solar panel permanently mounted onto my roof, specs: Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.2V, Short-Circuit Current (Isc): 6.10A, Optimum Operating Voltage (Vmp): 17.7V, Optimum Operating Current (Imp): 5.70A

1 – 20 amp inline fuse at the solar panel

1 – FullRiver Battery, 105 amp hour, AGM battery

1 – Dual dash camera that is powered/wired directly to the AGM battery (it does not connect to the Load Output of the MPPT), which draws 360 mA or 0.36 amps. It’s constantly on, in “parking mode”.

I have used the “user defined” and “advanced settings” for the battery charging parameters in the MPPT, following FullRiver’s charging parameters perfectly.

Now here is the issue which is sporadic and very puzzling. When in direct sunlight, without any draw from the Load Output (i.e. my fridge is unplugged/off), but a small 0.36 amp draw from the dash camera directly connected to the battery, the MPPT will go through its proper cycle of “bulk”, “absorption” and then “float” charging. I’ve noticed that randomly during the float charge, it will go from 15/16/17/18 watts, down to 1/2/0, then back up within 1-2 seconds. Also the amps will fluctuate 0.5 – 1.2 down to 0. Of course the battery voltage will jump (slightly) up and down during this time. The SmartShunt is reading at a 97% state of charge. Then after some time, the MPPT will settle in, with a steady (maybe fluctuate 1 or 2 watts) watt and amp input. But then goes back into the fluctuations.

When I connect a draw to the Load Output, i.e. turn on my fridge (draws between 35 – 45 watts), the MPPT will automatically compensate for the draw and aim to maintain the float voltage on the battery. At no time does the wattage or amperage have the dramatic fluctuation down to 0 like I mentioned above.

I’ve checked all the connections with a multimeter. Tightened down all the connections to the battery, MPPT, etc. My wiring from the solar panel to the MPPT is 10 gauge (only 16 feet in length total). The wiring from the MPPT to the battery is 8 gauge.

As per Renogy’s solar panel troubleshooting steps, I performed an open circuit voltage test, with it passing – needs to be within 10% of Voc; I measured 20.4V at the panel connections vs. the panel’s Open-Circuit Voltage (Voc): 21.2V. I then performed a short circuit current test, with it passing too – needs to read 50% of the spec sheet number or greater; I measured 4.6 amps with the panel’s Short-Circuit Current (Isc) being 6.10 amps. Therefore the panel is okay. I also cleaned the panel with water and paper towel to ensure it was clean.

I’ve also “disabled the charger” for several minutes, then turned it back on, letting it go through the charge cycle. After a few minutes in float charge, it goes back to the fluctuations.

I have no idea what’s causing this. Can someone please provide some guidance as I’ve done all the appropriate troubleshooting that I’m aware of?

I’ve attached screenshots from the MPPT charging parameters and history, as well as the SmartShunt.

Thank-you.

MPPT battery settings 1.png

MPPT battery settings 2.png

MPPT history with fluctuations.png

SmartShunt battery settings.png

SmartShunt SOC.png

cdn4runnersolar asked
ludo answered ·

2 Answers

MPPT without battery

Hi

I'm looking for a MPPT controller to run a resistive load of 48V and 1500W. Which the Smartsolar 150/35 seems perfect for. IF it can run without a battery.

According to Victrons own FAQ page (https://www.victronenergy.com/live/drafts:mppt_faq Q4) it seems like it can be done if I understand it correctly.

But I've also looked at this forum and most seems to say no. Has anyone actually tried it?

Best regards Casper

Casper Unnerup asked
Alistair Warburton answered ·

5 Answers

What causes 1 of 2 MPPTs to read zero watts when part of my VE Smart Network?

My small setup consists of 4 AGM batteries wired in Parallel. I have 2 MPPTs charging same 12v battery bank wired in parallel. One controller for fixed roof mounted solar array, 2 100w panels wired in parallel. Second MPPT for bumper mounted plug for portable panels, two 120w wired in series. I have a smart sense battery monitor and all devices are networked, ve smart connect. Maybe not an issue but I regularly observe where one MPPT will show 0 watts, battery state “off” with the other MPPT showing watts and state could be bulk, absorption, etc. If networked I would think both MPPTs would be charging. What am I missing here?

overl42 asked
allen-goldstein published ·

5 Answers

MPPT 100/30's not cooperating and only one charging.

System: I have 3 SmartSolar MPPT 100/30's connected individually to (3) 335W panels. They are networked together with a BMV-712 and connected to an 800ah LFP battery, with smartsolar battery setting on LFP. I just switched my battery bank to lithium from AGM, but I had the same issue with the AGMs. In the past, my shore charger was mostly charging the bank, but now I need to switch to solar and Multiplus as I will be leaving the dock soon.

Problem: Only one of the chargers is producing significant wattage (264W currently), and it seems to be charging the battery, although network total power shows 0. The other 2 chargers flicker some wattage and then back off to 0. It seems like the master controller is telling the slave controllers to not charge. In the smartsolar history, one can see that the all the chargers are working as they each have history on some past days of significant charging. I need all of the chargers to work together to charge the lithiums which are currently at 13.18v. Another anomaly is that 1 hour ago I was showing total network power of 255W. I removed each controller and the BMV from the VE network to try to reset it and then rejoined them all, BMV first. Now, total network power shows 0W, but the BMV shows positive wattage (175W) going into the batteries. Mostly, I need the chargers to all work together, instead of just 1 at a time, to bulk up the lithiums during the day. It seems like synching between controllers and the app may have glitches that prevent synchronized charging and also an issue with showing total network power.

On a sunny day this system should be pushing 900W plus into the batteries. Any suggestions?

chuckheb asked
allen-goldstein answered ·

2 Answers

Empecher injection: ESS configuration 1

Bonjour,

J'aimerai mettre en place un système selon la configration ESS 1 (mppt victron):

[image]

Je voudrai m'assurer que je peux empecher l'injection sur le réseau, et ce de manière certaines (ou très limitée). Ou va l'énergie ? Dissipée ?

Est-il éventuellement possible d'empecher l'injection dans la configuration 2 (onduleur growatt):

[image]

Ca fait des jours que je parcours des forums et FB, je ne trouve pas de réponse claire.

Il faut un terminal GX ?

HELP. MErci.

davidp asked
davidp published ·

1 Answer

MultiPlus Settings for LiFePO4 2x 200ah Ampere Time Battery Bank

Hello!

I have just purchased all the parts for a Victron branded solar setup on my motorhome.

Im using two Ampere Time 200ah LiFePO4 batteries in paralell for my bank. What should I set the absorption, float and bulk to when I set up my MultiPlus 3000VA 12v inverter?

I've read a few similar posts and they all sound very forign to me. This is my first solar setup.

If you dont mind... please explain to me like im 5.

outerspacemannn asked
Alexandra commented ·

2 Answers

Multiplus 2: No injection ESS

Hi,

I would like to install a system in configration ESS 1:

[image]

How can i be sure nothing is fed into the grid ?Where goes the energy ? Dissipated ?

Is it possible to do the same (no injection in this configuration with a GROWATT inverter ?

[image]

I am searching for days now, i don't find any clear answer, please help me :-)

Thank you.

davidp asked

0 Answers

MP ii DVCC: MP showing Absorbtion LED, MPPT's showing Bulk LED ("External Control")

Hi all,

In my setup (MP ii, DVCC, 2x MPPT 100/30, SmartShunt), I am observing some unexpected LED behaviour. All components running the latest available firmware.

The MP ii is in absorption mode and is accordingly illuminating it's Absorption LED, but the two MPPT's (Both showing as External Control) are illuminating their Bulk LED's. Surely the LED's should be synchronised as per the charge stage that the MP ii is in?

Tom Ranson asked
Tom Ranson commented ·

1 Answer

MPPT Remote config and VM AC load value

Hello

i have some problems my setup

Victron MULTIPLUS-II 48/5000/70-50 GX -> grid is connected no feed in is set and ext. current sensor connected

Victron Energy SmartSolar MPPT 250/100 VE.Can, connected to inverter by ve.direct

Victron Energy Lynx Power In as a buss bar

Victron Smartshunt 500A/50mV connected to MPPT via bluethooth

8x Sharp NU-JD540

JK-BMS B2A24S20P {not connected to inv via CAN} on the 16 x 304ah 3.2v prismatic lifepo4 new battery cells

1. When inverter is set to "inverter only" the displayed load is 300W and more -> Grid inv inv only.jpg

[image]

but when inverter is set to "ON" the displayed load is 150W ->200W -> Grid inv ON.jpg

[image]

All this with the same load no load added or removed, write this to not get answer like you added or removed load!!!

Q -> what is the reason for different load displayed when inv is set to Inverter only or ON?

2. Regarding MMPT settings, ext control is displayed in VM, and different V in Victron connect and remote VM

[image]

in remote console MMPT -> Networked Operation charge voltage is set 60.8 but in the MMP via Bluetooth voltage is set to 55V

[image]

[image]

Q -> what is the reason for different V

Q -> is there a way to fully control MMP from VM remote console like from Bluetooth APP ?

Q -> what is the reason "ext control" is displayed? what device is controlling the MMPT?

Q -> in MMPT absorption is set to 55.2 and batt voltage is still rising, why?

[image]

3. In the VM no matter what state of charge battery have, displayed value do not go under 90% even when inv was disconnected due to low battery

4 unfortunately JK BMS do not working as it should and do not turn off charging when one cell reach the set "over voltage value" which is 3.55

ess config is attached

[image]

when i try to upload RVSC file

i try to make it zip rar let it in RVSC format -> have the same error

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NOL2cFnO1g&feature=emb_imp_woyt

clauberty asked
JohnC answered ·

3 Answers

Cerbo GX causing MPPT's to cut out periodically

Hi all,

In summary, I have a setup as follows. I appreciate this may not be all of the information you require to assist with my problem, so please ask further specific questions and I will gladly provide further info.

- 8x LEOCH DT126 6V traction batteries: 2x parallel strings of 4x 6V batteries - 24V, 480 Ah total.

- 2x Victron 100/30 MPPT, each with 2x 460W panels in parallel with a Voc of c. 49 V (so well within the capabilities of the MPPT). 4x panels in total.

- 1x Victron SmartShunt 500A with mid-point voltage monitoring enabled.

- 1x Victron Cerbo GX.

Everything is VE.Smart networking enabled and communicating.

I am experiencing an issue with the SmartShunt "cutting out" (audibly "tripping") every 20 or so seconds, during periods of high sun intensity when both MPPT's are enabled. When it "trips", charging stops and the mid-point alarm activates (in excess of 2.00%), with values of approximately 15.00%.

If I disable one of the two MPPT's (either of them) at a time, then the system "works" and the SmartShunt does not "trip".

This suggests to me that the combined power output of the two MPPT's may be the cause of the problem, however I genuinely can't see why this might be the case. We are only talking a maximum power output from the two MPPT's of 60A peak.

What are the possible causes of a SmartShunt "tripping"? I have researched this endlessly and cannot find any answer as to under which conditions this should happen, presumably as a protection mechanism. Is it tripping *because* of the mid-point deviation alarm, or is the mid-point deviation alarm a *result* of whatever is causing it to trip? My belief is that it is the latter.

I look forward to your thoughts and advice. Many thanks, Tom

Tom Ranson asked
Tom Ranson commented ·

4 Answers

What can cause an MPPT controller to "cut out / trip"?

Hi all,

I am experiencing problems with my two 100/30 MPPT's "cutting out/tripping" periodically, which I'm noticing when sun intensity is high. Everything will be fine for a period of time and then suddenly I will hear what sounds like a relay clunking and all charge current will stop for 20-30 seconds (according to the SmartShunt), before I hear a clunk again and the charge current recovers. This pattern will then repeat every 30 ish seconds.

I'm only seeing this behaviour when both MPPT's are online and charging. If I disable either of them, and just have one online, then I don't see the problem.

What can cause an MPPT to behave in this manner? What should I be checking please? Everything is VE.Direct networked- could my SmartShunt or Cerbo GX be instructing the MPPT's to cut out, and if so, under what conditions would it do this?

The MPPT's are operating well within their capabilities (panel Voc c. 49V - 2x 460W in parallel per each MPPT).

I stand ready to provide further information.

Many thanks!

Closed

Tom Ranson asked
Tom Ranson commented ·

1 Answer

Smartsolar RS 450/100 spec sheet confusion

Hello All,

I have studied the spec sheet on the new 450-100 inverter and must say I think its a game changer in a lot of ways, however, the spec sheet is confusing..... for instance:

It says it has a max PV array size of 7200Watts per tracker, but that makes no sense as 8x 370Watt panels with OCV of around 49Volts, will give 390V and will put you squarely in the kinda 450V range. That equates to 2960kWp per tracker?? So, if I add 8 panels per tracker, 16 total it equates to around 100Amp max charging?? Very confusing.

I also dont understand if you can run a string of panels in parallel as it shows a max input of 20A per tracker??

Do you guys maybe know if Victron has developed a calculator for this MPPT yet?

Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Leon

leonb asked
antoncpt edited ·

3 Answers

4281 Posts
676 Users
9 Followers

Topic Experts

Alexandra
764 Points