charging Image

charging

Multiplus II 48/8000 off grid generator sizing

Hi everyone
I am trying to spec a generator for my planned offgrid setup which includes a multiplus II 48/8000 linked to a 930amp wet cell battery bank, I believe the recommended minimum for the 48/8000 works out somewhere around 11kva but my question is would that 11kva allow for any passthrough when the charger is running at full power, my rough calculations (which could be wrong) tells me there is a little kw spare but not a huge amount and obviously there are loses along the way.
With trying to keep fuel usage to a minimum I am looking to try optimise the generator size to fuel usage to the throughput I need and keep the charger going at it's best.

scraggs asked
shaneyake answered ·

1 Answer

PV Charger (100/50 MPPT) discrepancy between battery charger (smartshunt) DC POWER / consumption seems to Exponentially rise with the pv power

I’ve been trying to understand why there seems to be a relationship between the higher watts pulled from the pv charger and the consumption that rises from the higher pv charger watts state. I’m losing about half of my watts to this anomaly and only getting about half the intended amount of charge, I’ve disconnected my dc system and it still shows this bizarre anomaly that when the pv charge rises so does then the dc power/ consumption I’m losing so much power?! Screenshots taken minutes apart.

[image]

aidanmowen asked
aidanmowen answered ·

1 Answer

Disable charger Multiplus-II, but it turns on and off by itself.

Quick one, I have disabled charging on my Multiplus-II 24/3000/70 by using the "charge current control" assistant and closing AUX2. The strange thing is that intermittently the multi goes into charging mode for half a second and then back to passthru. No relays are clicking or anything. It creates the following graph in VRM:

[image]

A bit annoying, why is this?

mrhappy asked
mrhappy edited ·

1 Answer

Cell inbalance

Hi,

I have LiFePO4 battery cells which are all at the following levels -

3.30 - 3.26 - 3.22 - 3.26

could this be genuine imbalance or cell damage?

matt23 asked
matt23 commented ·

1 Answer

MultiPlus 800VA – Two DC outputs for charging two batteries

Hello everybody.

Guys I am testing a Multiplus 800 ( NOT a Multiplus II ) ,and I have a question regarding the possibility to charge the ENGINE battery ( i.e second battery ) using a dedicated output on the Multiplus 800. On the Multiplus 800 Manual is written :

Two DC outputs for charging two batteries

The main DC terminal can supply the full output current.

The second output, intended for charging a starter battery, is limited to 1 A and has a slightly lower output voltage.

I noticed that even if the Multiplus is diconnectted from the line power ( i.e 220 Vac ) and is not working as a charger , on the second output ( used to charged the ENGINE BATTERY ) around 13 Vdc are always present. I suppose this voltage / current is provided by the Lithium battery ( in this scenario ).

Question :

Is this behavior correct ? In other words when the Multiplus is not charging any battery is it correct that the Lithium battery is it charging permanently the ENGINE battery ? Can this ( small but ) continuous drain cause a problem to the Lithium battery on long term ? OR is it working "as expected " ? I have a 100 A Lithium battery with EXTERNAL BMS.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Oscar

Oscar asked
Oscar commented ·

1 Answer

Integrating Ohmpilot with Multiplus

I am in the final stages of designing a battery backup system with the Multiplus II. The main purpose of the Multiplus II would be to have a backup power source for when the grid goes down. The Multiplus II would be fed from the grid to ensure the batteries remain fully charged. This would be the first stage of the install and gives me a very good indication of the power draw throughout the day for my critical loads.

The second part of the install would be to connect a PV system (MPPT) that would keep the batteries charged throughout the day. I would then allow a certain % discharge going into the evening. The PV array will be sized based on the power draw of the critical loads and the solar yield on an overcast day on the shortest day of the year (New Zealand - relatively high sunlight levels). On sunny days there will always be excess power available and I would like to dump the excess power into a hot water cylinder. I am looking at including the fronius Ohmpilot that would be connected to the AC-out (non critical load) of the Multiplus II. This way there will only be limited amount of power going back into the grid. I will only be installing the fronius smart meter and leaving out the Victron smart meter upstream of all the electrical loads as the fronius smart meter would be the only meter that needs to determine if the load is dumped into the hot water cylinder or if it is being exported back into the grid. I assume this is correct? Below is an overview of how I would like the final system to look:

[image]

I look forward to comments and feedback on the above.

casper asked
maartenvt answered ·

2 Answers

Settings for mppt75/15 and DC to DC 30amp charger connected to 200a/h gel.

Am about to wire up the camper auxiliary battery, and wondering what's the best charge parameters to use without causing damage to the battery.

andrewspark asked
Paul B commented ·

1 Answer

Charging Lithium Batteries via EV charging point

Hi all,

i am being asked about this alot recently, some of our customers are using either 5 x 200ah 12v LiPo4 smarts in parallel or 3 x 200ah 25.6v Lipo4 Smarts in parallel to power their systems.

both use a quattro inverter / charger

now the question is, are we able to fit an external EV charger socket in place of the usual 16amp inlet, which would be connected to AC Input on the quattro to enable them to charge these batteries via an EV charge point on the go / at home.

thanks in advance

stevemarston asked
apple047 answered ·

2 Answers

Bluesolar Mppt 100/30 is not visible via VE.Direct

My mppt charger dissapears in the night, I am not able to connectc via VE.Direct cable, and it's always happenig when I disconnect the solar panels from device. What is the problem? Even no LED is ON in that moment.

marcello asked
marcello answered ·

2 Answers

Absorption Vs State Of Charge

Hi there.

A few disclaimers firstly:

I appreciate that SoC is not an exact science, depends a lot on chemistry and settings.

I have also ensured that the settings are such that the SoC doesn't switch to 100% too early

I have a 560aH flooded lead acid batteries (less than 6 months old) with 3 X MPPTs, SmartShunt and a Multiplus.

So heres my question:

I have read a number of Victron litterateur that absorption should start when the batteries are about 85-90% full. Where as on my SmartShunt, the SoC is often at 97-99% when Absorption starts. To put it into context, my usage is such that when my solar chargers start in the morning, I have used about 75aH overnight which is approximately 15% of capacity (again, I know there's no way of know that without testing). My SoC reads 87%. Perfect, about what you'd expect. The batteries are then charged during the day at about 7amps per hour for 10 hours. They then switch to absorption for the last 3 hours when SoC is is about 98% and go to float after 3 hours absorption. (3 hours absorption based on adaptive charging on my MPPTs).

So based on the above, I would assume that the SoC is working as expected, and my interpretation of "SoC=90% when absorption starts" is incorrect? Any ideas?

Thanks

lawrence-craig asked
pwfarnell commented ·

3 Answers

Phoenix Smart charger goes straight to absorption

Hi

I have a Phoenix Smart Charger IP42 50A 1+1 that I am using to charge my lithium bank (not victron, DIY build).
My problem is that only minutes after switching on the charger, even if batteries are almost empty, the charger goes to absorption stage. The voltage (as shown in screenshots below) have not reached my set absorption voltage. The charger is not charging at max capacity, not is it charging at any constant voltage. The voltage changes slightly up and down. I don't see how this should be possible?

[image]

[image]

I really just want my charger to go full power constant current until my BMS system switches it of. I have set the absorption voltage higher in the charger than in my BMS. I do not want to use the supply function in the charger since I like the fact that the settings in the charger will protect my batteries should the BMS fail somehow.

UPDATE:

Now the absorption timer kicked in and it transitioned to float. Dropping the voltage and charge current even more.... :-(

Still nowhere near absorption voltage I set...

[image]

smack asked
Jesse commented ·

0 Answers

Strange sound while charging new gel battery, is this normal?

I just installed a 330ah battery bank with three parallel 110ah 12V gel battery's. While charging, one of these battery's makes a strange sound. Like it is bubbling. When I noticed, the charger was at absorption stage at 14.3V and 6amps. Does this mean the battery is broken (or will get soon...)?

jdvt asked
jdvt answered ·

2 Answers

Need charging parameters for 12v 200 ah AGM telecom battery for Samlex EVO 4024 Inverter

I have 4 batteries connected for 24v 400ah bank, I need to know which voltage to use for a 50% discharge and 30% discharge, also which optimal float and charging voltage. If someone knows which charging parameters to use on that inverter, it will be appreciated.

edgardolugo asked
wkirby answered ·

2 Answers

Blue Smart IP22 Charger 1 vs 3

How does the 3 output behave with only one battery connected? Is the total charge output divided among the three outputs regardless? For example if only one battery is connected to the 3 output model would it get a 30 amp charge or a 10 amp charge. If the output is divided can all three outputs be hooked up to one battery?

joewwy asked
urban-mobile answered ·

1 Answer

Multiplus 12/1600/70 not charging at full rate

I just finished installing my multi and 280Ah of lifepo4 batteries with REC BMS. Everything else seems to work fine but I can't get multi to actually charge at 70A. It claims it's charging at 60-62A but when measuring with Fluke clamp meter it shows only ~50A flowing. Additionally my BMS shunt shows the exact same reading as fluke does so I'm betting that the Multiplus current measurement is nowhere near accurate...

How do I get the missing 20 amps of charging out of multi? That's quite a big drop from the expected value and increases significantly the charging time for a 280Ah bank..

I have the weak AC off, 70A set as the limit in the settings. Environmental temp is around 27-29C where batteries and multi are. Batteries were at around 70% when I started charging so they should be easily able to take the full 70A.

And to be clear the REC BMS is not communicating with Victron yet so that can't be the issue either.

Edit1:

Additional info as requested. Screenshots of the settings at the end of the message. During the screenshot I had set the device not to charge so I can make sure it's cooled and not doing anything for a while so when I flip the charging switch there can not be any issues with heat in the beginning at least. The environment is around 25C right now so even if it was slightly derating due to temp it should not be too many amps as per this doc https://www.victronenergy.gr/upload/documents/Output-rating-operating-temperature-and-efficiency.pdf

Multiplus firmware version 481 which should be the latest as no updates are available.

AC is grid AC right now so no limitations on that side.

Did a new test with no AC loads on at all and multiplus in charge only mode. Discharched the lithium battery to 30% so it's nowhere near full.

Voltage at victron end:13.5V

Voltage at battery terminals: 13.3V

Still Victron showing about 62A in victron connect but real amps about 52A. And victron is in bulk charge mode.

Additionally I'm able to easily pull 130amps from the batteries and with solar + multiplus able to charge at 80A. Smart solar MPTT has the same voltage levels as Multiplus as well. So definately seems that there's a problem with the multiplus...

[image]

[image]

[image]

Niko Järvinen asked
Alexandra commented ·

2 Answers

Charging speed difference?

Why is the charging speed different on the two marked boxes?

What can I do to fix this?

[image]

my-fair-lady asked
my-fair-lady commented ·

2 Answers

Victron Blue Smart IP22 Bluetooth Battery Charger setup for parallel batteries

Hi Everyone - I'm hoping you can help with a question I have on the best choice of AC>DC charger, and the setup for my planned battery configuration in my van build

At the moment I have three 95Ah AGM batteries that are hooked up in parallel that i want to charge using a Blue Smart AC>DC charger from my shore power system, and i'm wondering whether it's best to go with the 30A single output charger, with the pos and neg going to the batteries at the opposing end of the parallel bank, or potentially go with the 15A 3 output charger with each battery having its own pos connection and the neg's all running to a common bus bar? All options with fuses at the battery end of course.

Are there any benefits or drawbacks to either approach?

Does anyone have a similar setup to either option and can provide any good feedback on their choice?

Thanks!!!

Kyle

kylec-03 asked
shreeyash answered ·

1 Answer

Blue Smart 12/30 IP22 skipping bulk charge

Victron Lifepo4 200Ah is currently at 3.13V per cell. Expected behaviour of the charger after switching it on: It should bulk charge the battery (LiIon-Mode enabled) with up to 30A and switch to absorption charge after the battery ist almost charged completely.

What the blue smart device does instead: It bulk charges for ~2s (yes, seconds...) and switches immediately to absorption charge for the next 2 hours with ~6A (decreasing over time). So the battery is never charged to its full capacity...

All parameters in victron connect app seem to be correct. 'Charged voltage' in BMS ist set to 14.0V, blue smart charges with 14.2V. Did I get something wrong? Any suggestion are welcome.

Florian Michel asked
wkirby answered ·

1 Answer

Multiplus 12/1600/70 relay clicks when AC shore power is connected not charging inverter works

Hello Phoenix Multiplus 12/1600/70 started to cut out on AC in 'charger only' setting connected to shore line. It started intermittently and I assumed it was voltage drop from shore post changed cables & input but no issues. The green light comes on for inverter and 230V sockets work from that but as soon as 16A shore plug is connected fan comes on then orange charging light briefly then relay clicks and shuts down the red thermo fuse no doesn't pop out???

I have 4x sealed Hankook 12v leisure DC batteries along with 600w solar to a 50A MPPT charge controller which was doing fine for 4+ years only recently with addition of 2x 500w smart radiators being installed if they were on at same time as fan oven the Multiplus fuse would pop out then reset when pushed back in. A guest on boat confessed to using an electric kettle which may of pushed past 1600w limit of the Victron could this of broken charger? The inverter still works I have tried pushing up the AC plug connectors to ensure a good connection anything else I can try internal fuse replacement?

Thanks in advance

Peter

peter-holm asked

0 Answers

mppt charge voltage set-point register 2001 ignored

translated version after the german version

hallo,

ich habe inzwischen ein paar meiner laderegler in meinem 24V system aktualisiert.

leider hatte diese aktualisierung eine sehr starkt nebenwirkung: meine

steuerungssoftware kann die ladespannung dieser laderegler nicht mehr regeln.

heute habe ich einiges an versuchen gemacht, um eine loesung zu finden, leider

erfolglos. ich konnte zwar einfluss auf den betrieb der aktualisierten laderegler

nehmen, aber ich habe keine moeglichkeit gefunden, die ladepannung zu veraendern.

jeglicher wert im register 0x2001 (Charge voltage set-point) wird einfach ignoriert. es

ist mir lediglich gelungen, den ladestrom zu begrenzen, aber nicht die spannung.

es war mir auch nicht moeglich den wert des registers 0201 zu aendern.

abgesehen davon bekomme ich auch noch widerspruechliche statusinformationen.

im register 200e sind die bits fuer slave mode und externe kontrolle gesetzt und im

register 200f steht, dass der regler im stand-alone-modus laeuft und es kann ja nicht

gleichzeitig beides zutreffen.

ich habe mein programm extra mit einer moeglichkeit versehen, mir verschiedene

register uebersichlich als tabelle von allen ladereglern anzeigen zu lassen, um

herrauszufinden, warum die spannungsvorgabe ignoriert wird und dann einiges

ausprobiert.

dabei ist es mir zwar gelungen, die spannung, die vom laderegler als

batteriespannung, gemeldet wird, vorzugeben, aber das hilft mir auch nicht.

abgesehen davon will ich hier ja die spannung am batterieanschluss des ladereglers

wissen und nicht die spannung die ich vorgebe. auf den ladestrom hatte es

uebrigends keinen einfluss, als ich diese spannung auf 2 V unter der akku-spannung

eingestellt hatte.

habt ihr da einen bug eingebaut, der verhindert, dass die vorgegebene

ladesoll-spannung uebernommen wird ?

ich koennte jetzt natuerlich die einstellung der ladespannung fuer diesen laderegler

aendern, aber die einstellung wird ja immer dauerhaft gespeichert und ich weiß nicht

wie oft das moeglich ist. man soll flash-speicher und eproms ja nicht

ueberstrapazieren.

als notloesung werde ich jetzt meine steuerung fuer diese laderegler mit einer

stromregelung erweitern in der hoffnung, dass ich bald wieder den strom ueber die

sollladespannung regeln kann. das ist naemlich wesentlich einfacher, da dann die

laderegler bei lastaenderungen an den wechselrichtern automatisch den ladestrom

erhoehen und das schneller, als die regelung.

tschuess

Hello,

in the meantime i have updated a few of my charge controllers in my 24v system.

Unfortunately, this update had a very strong side effect: my

control software can no longer regulate the charge voltage of these charge controllers.

today i tried a lot to find a solution, unfortunately

unsuccessful. i was able to influence the operation of the updated charge controller

take, but I haven't found a way to change the charging voltage.

any value in register 0x2001 (Charge voltage set-point) is simply ignored. it

I only managed to limit the charging current, but not the voltage.

I wasn't able to change the value of register 0201 either.

apart from that, I also get contradicting status information.

the bits for slave mode and external control are set in register 200e and in

register 200f says that the controller is running in stand-alone mode and it cannot

both apply at the same time.

I have given my program the option of giving me different

register to be displayed as a table of all charge controllers in order to

find out why the voltage specification is ignored and then some

tried out.

I managed to control the voltage from the charge controller as

battery voltage is reported, but that doesn't help me either.

apart from that, i want the voltage at the battery connection of the charge controller

know and not the tension that I specify. on the charging current it had

Incidentally, no influence when I set this voltage to 2 V below the battery voltage

had set.

have you built in a bug that prevents the specified

charging voltage is taken over?

I could of course now adjust the charge voltage for this charge controller

change, but the setting is always saved permanently and I don't know

how often that is possible. Flash memory and eproms shouldn't be used

overuse.

as an emergency solution, I will now use my controller for these charge controllers with one

expand current control in the hope that I will soon be able to use the current again

target charging voltage can regulate. that is much easier because then the

charge controller automatically adjusts the charge current when the load changes on the inverters

increase and that faster than the regulation.

bye

d-ferdi asked

0 Answers

PPP 40Ah charging via high capcity output

I have a few questions about Peak Power Pack 40Ah charging via high capacity output in car.

1. I've try to charge my PPP via this output and initially, about 2 minutes, the current were above 50 amps, and then gradually decreased to 30 amps. Manual says 15-20 amps max. Voltage from car's alternator is 13,95V, but voltage drop in cables (4mm^2) made effective charging voltage 13,3-13,6V.

2. 50 amps is above 1C charging. Is this safe for PPP, cells and for me? - fire, big bang etc.

3. Is the BMS still active and cells are protected? Is charging terminated automatically after PPP is fully charged?

4. Car/Solar input of PPP is limited to 7 amps, so charging takes 6-7 houres and often is too slow.

xylus asked

0 Answers

Tesla module charging voltage higher than cut off limits

Setup as follows..

1x tesla module

9x 330w mono perc panels

100/50 victron smart mppt

Smart shunt

Bmv 712

CCGX

24v 5kVA multiplus.

I have been living off this system for two years now and have recently upgraded my array with 9 new panels.

We are just coming into winter in New Zealand and I haven't had this problem over summer.

The charging voltage is reading about .3 max higher than what I have it set to, to go into float and absorb mode. For example, I have it set to go into absorb at 24.3v for 6 hours and float at 23.35.. trouble is even with these settings it is charging up to around 24.6! It sets the alarms off and my relays. I have always had my absorption and float settings at around 24.4 and 24.5 respectively.. but I have had to lower my voltages due to risk of over charging my tesla module. Any ideas?

So far I have thought it might be a temperature issue, but I have read that temp compensation does not apply with lithium?

Or 2, my array is to big for my battery? I do notice that we charge A LOT more efficiently on a cold sunny day compared to summer.

I have just purchased the temp sensor for the BMV 712, but if my MPPT is already reading ambient temp in the same room as my battery, this won't solve anything. It never gets below freezing where I am in New Zealand, lucky to get a low of 5 degrees Celsius in the middle of winter.. and we haven't had many cold days this year so far, so I'm confused when thinking it might be a temperature issue other than the better performance of the panels...

jstone asked
JohnC answered ·

1 Answer

Absorption time should be settable to less than 1 hour with lithium

Currently my Quattro (and multi) only allows a minimum of one hour of absorption time on initial charge (even though it allows .25 hours on repeated absorption).

My (and arguably most) lithium batteries require very little absorption time. So forcing them into a 1 hour absorption is both unnecessary and potentially causes extra wear on lithium batteries.

I would like to see the base absorption time settable to, at the very least, the same levels as with repeated absorption, or to even smaller window sizes.

Ideally I'd put my batteries in 10 minutes of absorption.

geomz asked
carl-n commented ·

4 Answers

Victron EV Charging Station availability

Hi.

This message is mainly for Victron staff.

I'm fully aware that there are already stations installed for end customers, mainly with the title of testing units, the question remains.

When this product will be available for general public?

Thanks

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/evchargingstation

cristimv asked
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) commented ·

3 Answers

EEBUS support bei Victron

When will Victron support the EEBus protocoll. I have a Wallbox from VOLKSWAGEN (Elli) and want to do overflow charging.

Regards, Christian

chris-bs asked

0 Answers

Victron SmartSolar MPPT 20A 100V - setup questions

Hi All,

I am relatively new to campervan setups, and I do not have a background in 12v electrics.

I have had a Victron Smart Solar 20A 100V MPPT installed in my campervan together with a new leisure battery, which I am really pleased with on first inspection.

There are a number of options in the Victron Connect app to allow configuration of the Smart Solar 20A 100V MPPT, here are the settings I am talking about.

[image]

It looks like most of the settings (Charge Voltages etc.) are set by either selecting a Battery Preset (see options below), or by selecting "expert mode" and specifying your own numbers for the Charge Voltages. The "factory default" seems to be the Gel Victron Deep Discharge option.

The other Battery Preset options available are:

[image]

[image]

It says in the manual to ensure the settings match your specific leisure battery, and this is where I am struggling - I cannot seem to locate the information needed. The leisure battery installed is a 12V 110AH Xtreme AGM Leisure Battery (XR1750) NCC Class A.

So, my question are:

1. Are the Factory Default settings ok for my specific battery? Or should I change them?
  2. If I need to change them, then:
    1. Should I pick another pre-set, if so which one?
    2. Or, should I use expert mode and set the Charge Voltages manually? And if I do, what numbers should I use?

A final (less important question) also

1. What does the "equalisation stuff" do, and do I need to worry about it?

Thanks everyone!

monstreruk asked
tibo-huyers answered ·

2 Answers

can i configure my old dual Pheonix Multiplus 24/3000/70 inverter charger to charge Lithium Battery

Hi Newbie to this and forums in general.

I have an old generation Phoenix Multiplus 24/3000/70 dual or daisy chained charger inverter system on our boat. We have used it with 10x250AH lead acid batteries configured for 24VDC. I want to change these for lithium and want to know if i can get the inverter charger programmed to charge the lithium batteries. I am also looking at purchasing an electrodacus SMS0 in support of it if that helps in answering the question?

BR

Guy

guy-odell asked
guy-odell commented ·

0 Answers

New victron agm battery accurate solar charging parameters
Hello I just bought a victron deep cycle 110 ah agm to replace the old battery after 3 years.
I would like to ask a Victron technician for the correct parameters.
I only use a solar charge with a fully configurable 30A mppt regulator.
Every day the solar energy is more than enuff to charge completely the battery. 
I discharge the battery every night on average about 20 ah.
I would like to know the correct absorption voltage and the correct duration of the absorption for my use (daily discharge of 20 ah).
Currently I have set 14.5v and absorption duration of 120 minutes with temperature compensation of - 4mV / C / cell. Floating 13.7v.
Today for example after the end of the absorption, the battery absorbed 0.8A in floating at 13.7V.
But trying to increase the floating to 14.5v, I saw that it went up to 2.6A. These is strange for me... 
Does that mean it wasn't fully charged? Or is it due to gas generation?
Then disconnecting the solar panel, after an hour the battery was at 13.5v, so it would appear to be fully charged.

The old agm, at the end of absorption, absorbed 0.8a for both 13.7v and 14.5v.
Why these difference on new battery? 
I can see all these parameters on the victronenergy smartshuunt.

francesco asked
francesco commented ·

2 Answers

IP65/IP67 Blue Smart Charger Low Current Mode

I am researching the IP65 12/15 charger. I see a nominal charge current of 15A and a low current mode of 4A. If I manually trigger the low current mode and then unplug it completely from both supply and load, will it "remember" it is in low current mode next time it is used?

If not, I assume I can plug it in and then set it to low current prior to hooking up the battery and before drawing power? Once it is manually put in low current mode, will it remain in that mode until manually set to normal current?

I ask incase I find myself with limited available current and want to ensure I remain fully in the low current mode.

Thanks in advance!

jake2664 asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

Followers

181 Posts
168 Users
1 Follower

Topic Experts

Stuart
-1 Points