not charging Image

not charging

This topic has been merged into battery charging . Please use battery charging when editing or creating new content.

MultiPlus-II not going into float when Pylontech batteries are charged

Hey guys,

So I am trying to workout why my Multi stays in absorption mode (when batteries are 100% SoC), sits at roughly 28V constantly and never goes into float mode. I would like the batteries to sit at a lower voltage over long periods, around the 26.5V-27V to prolong the life of the batteries, even if I lose a few percent.

I have DVCC turned on in my Cerbo.

Setup:

-2 x Pylontech UP2500 batteries - Nominal Voltage: 25.6V

-Smart Solar MPPT 150/100 (Not yet operating as no PV array hooked up yet)

-MultiPlus-II

-Cerbo GX

This is going to be an off-grid system but until I install my PV array I just have mains plugged in at all times.

Current Multi configuration:

-Absorption Voltage: 27.8V - As per the Voctron/Pylontech setup guide for 8S LiFePo4.

-Float Voltage: 27V

-Absorption time: 1 Hr

-Lithium mode on.

-Fixed charge curve.

Brandon asked
Alexandra edited ·

1 Answer

Multiplus II not charging

Hello all,

My Multiplus-II/Cerbo/Batrium ESS-setup is not charging anymore and I'm looking for reasons why that happens but have a hard time finding the root-cause. The GX says it is on Scheduled Charging / bulk (setup by me) but there is no current going into the batteries. The Batrium's charging state is ON, therefor I see no reason for the Multiplus not to start charging. If I set ESS to 'keep batteries charged' the Multiplus goes into Passthru.

My main question is: where to look for the cause?

cotje asked
cotje answered ·

3 Answers

Controlling the charge power of a MPPT250/100

Hi all,

Looking for many years at these nice blue boxes of Victron and finally having a good reason to buy one or two: two 4,3V European batteries 48V 16S2P LifePO4 batteries from a luxury yacht.

Since I have wired each of my solar panels seperately I am able to make a nice 3x4 configuration that can be connected to the MPPT250/100 that will charge the 48V 8,6kWh battery. BMS will probably be a Batrium.

A Multiplus 2 (FX) will run on mains power and fall back on batteries when the mains are disconnected.

Normally, the Multiplus charges the batteries at will when there is power availabe from the grid.

I, however, want to control the charge of the batteries in order to have a full charge at the end of the day. The stress on the fully charged cells will be for a shorter time before I disconnect the mains to drain the battery till 40%, where the mains is connected back again in the morning.

In this way I can harvest all my solar energy into the batteries and use the solar energy for our household too.

Is there a way to tell the MPPT250/100 or Multiplus at what speed the batteries can be charged?

Paul asked
Paul commented ·

2 Answers

150/35 MPPT 10 khz noise

Hello guys,

I have installed a 150/35 MPPT Smart Solar charger in my van and it is driving me crazy with the noise it produces. Once I disconnect the solar panels, the noise is gone.

[image]

Is this normal, something I have to live with or is there anything that can be done?

Thank you

sandmac asked
panko commented ·

4 Answers

EasySolar-II-GX not charging

Hi to all,

I have an EasySolar-II-GX 48/3000 system that went live yesterday and won't charge the battery bank. There is sufficient PV voltage. System parameters are:

- PowerPlus Energy (Aust) Lipo battery bank installed, user defined battery settings as per spec.

- Off grid system & no generator. A.C charge capability disabled.

- Multiplus firmware V471

- MPPT firmware V1.46

- GX device firmware V2.53

It appears the MPPT controller is stuck in OFF state as the remote input to it is held LOW by the GX device. Remote input voltage level checked with multimeter at 0 volts.

If I remove the remote control link wire from GX to MPPT and bridge MPPT remote input (H to L) as per manual then the MPPT operates as expected and charges batteries.

My question is, under what circumstances does the GX device inhibit the MPPT charge operation?

I have updated all firmwares and may have inadvertently upset one of the settings somewhere so an incorrect setting may be the cause.

Any help appreciated.

Kind regards, Andrew.

[image]

[image]

outbackandy asked
perry-westphal commented ·

6 Answers

Inverted current values in Multiplus-II

Dear friends,

I am seeing some strange values while charging from grenerator in an offgrid cabin.

System setup:

- REC Q BMS
- 16 Winston Lifepo 300 Ah cells connected in series@48V
- Multiplus-II 48/5000/70-50
- CerboGX (fw. v. 2.73)
- Smart Solar MPPT 250/85
Generator: Honda EU70is

The Multi was installed prevously this year, but were after a while replaced by the dealer with a new unit due to malfunction (constant humming/buzzing sound, even with no load).

Upon installing the replacement, I allso installed a surge protection between the genset and the Multi. The AC-Out L1 leads to a breaker box with overload protection and 4 RDCs. They are all connected to ground. The genset is alsoo tied to ground with another ground ple connected to the chassie.

I am not sur exactely in the installation the fault appeard, but while charging from the genset, the Multiplus AC-In L1 shows negative current (A) and watt (slightly). The AC-Out L1 shows high negative values (-4100W / -18.1A).

However, the BMS menue on the Cerbo shows that the batteries are charging at full power.

On the Pages display the Generator icon shows a slight negative value (around 100W), that the Muti is in bulk mode and that current is flowing into the battery bank. See the attached screen shots.

Can anyone help med make sence of this or sugest where to start the troubleshooting? Preferabliy, suggest a solution?

[image]

[image]

[image]

Ivar Wagle asked
Ivar Wagle answered ·

2 Answers

Wiring Options for Blue Smart Charger 12|

Hi All.

I recently purchased the Blue Smart Charger 12 | 7 and I'm wondering if it is suitable for my use (I suppose i should have asked this before buying it). I have a 26' sail boat with a single 12V AGM battery, and currently only a DC system. All loads are very light, under 2amp draw.

I'm wondering if this charger is suitable to be installed for charging on an ongoing basis when hooked up to shore power? and also the charger comes with a 3 prong AC plug for input, can this plug be stripped and wired into an AC panel as i've planned in my wiring diagram?

Appreciate anyone's input. Thank you

[image]

rob-glazier asked
rob-glazier edited ·

1 Answer

Pylontech UP2500 100% charged but staying in absorbtion

Hey guys,

I have recently installed 2x Pylontech UP2500 batteries, Multi-Plus-II, Smart Solar MPPT 150/100 & Cerbo GX.

I am currently in the process of cell balancing the batteries. I am charging them through the Multi at the moment due to PV array not installed yet. I am balancing them individually.

I have set the current to 1A and have slowly been increasing the voltage up from 27.5v which has worked to get the battery to 100% charged. I should note that I have been changing the charge settings using Victron Connect with DVCC turned off on my Cerbo GX. The reason I am doing it like this is because that is the only way I can control the voltage due to my DVCC settings not having the "Maximum charge voltage" control option (Firmware is up to date). And to my understanding, If I turn DVCC on, the voltage adjustments I make in Victron Connect will have no effect and be overridden by the Pylontech BMS.

Anyway, once the battery had hit 100% charged, it stayed in absorption for another 20 minutes or so before giving me the high voltage alarm. Shouldn't the Multi have gone into float mode well before this?

Sorry for the ramble on but I have 3 main questions:

1. Shouldn't the Multi-Plus go into Float mode before the SoC reaches 100%? Or at least once it hits 100%?

2. It's my understanding that the best way to balance LiFePo4 batteries is to get them fully charged and them keep them fully charged for a little while to help balance them, then the high voltage alarms should go away in future charges. Is this right? If so how long are you supposed to leave them fully charged?

3. My first battery is 100% SoC. Can I call this battery charged for the sake of this exercise or should I be leaving it hooked up to the Multi and lowering that voltage again until it goes into float mode?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Brandon asked
Brandon commented ·

3 Answers

Best option to charge EV car off grid in 2022 - OCPP, ModBus or just plain SOC+relay

Dear all,

This will be my first post on this community - reason for reaching out is that I really feel stuck and pretty lonely in this adventure. I've been disconnected from the grid for about 5 years - the setup has evolved, but today is based on Victron charger, additional Fronius inverter due to expansion of solar panels, 16 KWh lithium batteries and a bit over 10 KWp of solar panels installed. I live in Spain so most of the days there is no issue of sun.

My most recent expansion of solar panels was to prepare the arrival of my new hybrid car (which has a 24KWh battery) - but when I asked about installing a wallbox ... all my plans felt apart. The car charger installer told me there was no system on the market for off grid situations, and my Victron reseller told me they have no experience with EV charging

The problems with standard solutions

1) Most EV car charging have a "solar kit" which basically is a device you connect between the inverter and the house, which will continuously instruct the car charger to "suck as much amps as possible" from the solar panels (continuously configure car charger amp level to estimate max PV output minus house consumption). For usual inverter based implementations connected to the grid, no problem, for systems with a charger and batteries - it's a recipe for emptying (and over time killing) batteries as the charger will likely provide the max power possible (e.g. if you have a 10KW charger, the system will provide those 10KW from the batteries even if not available from solar)

-> traditional EV charging solar kits cannot be used

2) When the house lithium batteries are full, Victron will throttle the PV output to the house consumption - so to dynamically program the car charger to maximize PV energy consumption, batteries have to not be completely filled

-> traditional Victron charger behaviour will stop EV charging if coupled with an EV solar kit

3) The solution that will be recommended by most electricians is to install a programmable relay that will only provide electricity to the EV charger if the SOC > value x. The EV car charger vendor is telling me that cutting electricity going to the EV charger will regularly force a hard reset and is a bad idea - as an EV charger is not just a plug.

-> unless if proven otherwise programmable relays based on SOC state is not an option

Looking at this community, this is not the first time someone is looking into this.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/113114/software-attenuation-for-home-excess-pv-charging-o.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/54833/victron-oem-wallbox-status-features.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/78761/charging-ev-with-excess-pv-when-battery-full.html

I've been looking into this problem and I'm actively working on a solution

- I've got Python scripts getting all required data from the Victron GX over modbus (SOC, PV prod, consumption) - and my EV car charger vendor tells me that adding a Phoenix Contact EM-CP-PP-ETH car charge controller SHOULD work (Python -> Modbus -> Phoenix Contact -> RS485 -> Car charger to set the # amps)

- I've got HomeAssistant pulling the same data again over modbus (much cleaner and scalable approach) - would still need the Phoenix Contact likely.

- I have installed an OCPP server on HomeAssistant (if you are new to OCPP, check: https://www.chargelab.co/industry-advocacy/ocpp), that IN THEORY should allow me to program dynamically the amount of amps without modbus on OCPP 1.6 smart charger (often smart = programmable in EV charging) ... but again no one able to confirm if this is working.

I am still trying to find the right ev car charger (e.g. wallbox) to start it all, but am wondering

A) Is there a better / less custom way of maximizing green car charging when off grid ? Or did I get any of the 3 problems above wrong ?

B) Has anyone got OCPP to work with a car charger for dynamically SETTING the # amps ?

C) Can someone recommend any programmable car charger that has natively proper ModBus register documentation (or OCPP documentation coming with it even better)

I'll gladly share all working python scripts or working HomeAssistant configurations once I got it working live.

Thanks in advance for any pointer!

IceKream.

icekream asked
icekream edited ·

2 Answers

AC-OUT-1 hat ständigen Verbraucher, AC-Lasten Permanent

EasySolar-II-GX-24-3000VA-35-32-MPPT-250-70-GX

Wenngleich KEIN Kabel am AC-OUT-1 Ausgang angeschlossen ist, wird dennoch im VRM als auch auf der Remote-Console ständig ein Verbraucher mit 15Watt aufgeführt,siehe Anlagen.Bisher konnte dieser"Verbraucher noch nicht durch ggf.entsprechendes Umprogammieren sowohl via Victron-Connect als auch über die Remote-Console entfernt werden.

Wie bzw.wo lässt sich die entsprechende Einstellung vornehmen?

Danke

[image]

[image]

[image]

mibasb asked
Henrik answered ·

1 Answer

Will the trickle charge disable when main charge is disabled?

I plan to control my multiplus 12/3000 charging via a BMV 712. So charging of my Lithium stops when reaching wanted voltage. Will this chat down the trickle charging to? I cannot find any information on this.

hakanlarsson65 asked
Matthias Lange - DE commented ·

5 Answers

System will not solar charge

My Victron system is not charging. When i turn to inverting it works fine. When i turn it off it turns off. When i put it on charge only nothing happens. It charges on shore power but not on solar. (it use to charge on solar). please help?

rvmastersinc asked
Matthias Lange - DE commented ·

0 Answers

Victron Replacement for a Ring RSCDC30 Battery Charger

Hello,

I have a campervan currently which has a Ring RSCDC30 battery charger installed. Unfortunately the unit failed last week and I'm looking for a replacement. I was disappointed that the unit failed shortly after its one year warranty expired. As a result, I'm looking to replace it with Victron components.

At present my circuit is as follows: Van battery w/ smart alternator connected to the input of the Ring unit. Similarly, I have a 150W solar panel connected to the solar input of the Ring unit also. The output of the Ring unit is connected to 2x 115Ah 12V batteries connected in parallel and from the batteries I have outputs to a 12V fuse panel and Victron Phoenix 12/375 inverter.

Can someone advise what would be my best options to replicate the above set up using a Victron battery charger & MPPT solar controller? Thanks.

gsheehan1 asked
gsheehan1 commented ·

5 Answers

Why is my Multiplus inverting but not charging?

I have a Multiplus 12/3000/120. It works well as an inverter but when I plug it into 15A shore power, it does not charge my two 206Ah LiFePO4 batteries. I also have an Orion DC-DC charger and a SmartSolar MPPT and I have been using them successfully to charge my batteries but when I try to use the charging function of the Multiplus, the "Mains On" light flashes to tell me that "the AC output current is equal to the preset maximum input current."

I have tried setting my maximum input current to different values but that does not change the situation.

Can anyone give me insight?

outofthenorth asked
outofthenorth answered ·

3 Answers

MultiPlus 12/500/20 can charging small battery?

Can MultiPlus 12/500/20 charging small battery? From spec. I understood that charging current is 20A. I would like charge 85 hA and smaller battery? What will be smallest recommended battery for this 20A charger?

radkos asked
JohnC answered ·

2 Answers

Orion TR Smart - No Output/Not Charging

I have been fighting with this Orion TR Smart for a while now (basically since i purchased it) as it has never kept the auxiliary battery charged since it was purchased and finally pulled it all out to check what's going on.

What I have found is that no matter what the app says (Bulk Charge, Float Charge or even if in Power Supply Mode), it never outputs more than around 1.7-2.1v. LED's are normal and correspond to charge modes.

• Checked input voltage at Cable - 14.14v
  • Checked input voltage at Orion - 14.14v
  • Checked output without Battery plugged in (Charger Mode) : 1.7-2.1v
  • Checked output with Battery Plugged in (Charger Mode) : 12.1V (battery voltage, not charging)
  • Checked output without Battery plugged in (Power Supply Mode) : 1.7-2.1v
  • Checked output with Battery Plugged in (Power Supply Mode) : 12.1V (battery voltage, not charging)
  • Vehicle running for 20+ minutes. Still 0 output
  • Tried various battery/shutdown settings - same result

Anyone got any suggestions?

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

[image]

doka asked
doka edited ·

2 Answers

Can you change the battery type in Multiplus II without MK3-USB Interface?

I have just installed my Multi with 2 x Pylontech batteries with a Cerbo GX. I am aware the default battery setting is not set to Lithium. Is there a way I can change this parameter through Cerbo GX without needing the USB interface? Or is it possible that the parameter changes on it's own given that the Cerbo thats connecting everything is reading all the info from the Pylontechs (battery info is all showing up on the Touch 50 display)?

I will order the MK3-USB interface but it looks like it's going to take a week at least to get to me and that means I am unable to charge/use my batteries for that long due to the charge profile being wrong and I don't want to damage the batteries, which means I have limited power..

(PS I don't have access to the internet where I am at the moment either)

Thanks in advance.

Brandon asked
Brandon commented ·

1 Answer

Protocol for charging/equalizing parallel battery bank with Multiplus II

Hello everyone. We have a MultiPlus II with a bank of 4x48V Lithium Iron batteries in parallel (with internal BMS and no communication with the batteries). The batteries are currently at different voltages and we need to get them all up to the same voltage (say, 52.5V) so we can use them. The multiplus has been configured with the correct charge parameters for the batteries. Each battery has its own breaker.

What is the best way to get them charged up using the multiplus?

I was thinking we would switch on just battery #1 (with the breakers off for the other three batteries), let the MultiPlus charge it up, then simply turn OFF battery #1 and switch ON battery #2, let battery #2 charge up, etc and keep doing this for all 4 batteries.

Are there any problems with this? What would you do?

ev-gavia asked
snoobler edited ·

1 Answer

Addding Victron LifePO4 battery & Smart BMS 12/200 to existing charger/inverter system?

Hello! Looking for some help iwth a marine setup. I am swapping out my old AGM house batteries for a new Victron lithium battery with a Smart BMS 12/200 (since I have a starter battery and alternator). I want to keep my Magnasine Inverter/Charger and have upgraded to the new ME-ARC remote which has a lithium option.

Questions:

1. I was told I need a Cyrix Li-Charge to tell the BMS when to stop charging? Is that the case?
  2. Will the ME-ARC be able to tell the charger when to shut off appropriately?
  3. Am I missing anything?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

aleainc asked
aleainc answered ·

1 Answer

Smart solar 100/30 + 330wp or 545wp

Hello,

I am building a van with a 12V system and I already have a smart solar mppt 100/30 built in.

I can get it from a friend for good money

https://hadex.cz/g968-fotovoltaicky-solar-panel-36v330w-polykrystalicky--*pozor-doprava*/

1x 330wp polycrystal 2x1m

Max. no-load voltage Voc = 45.71V

Max. short-circuit current Isc = 9.01A

Max. voltage at load 330W: Vmp = 38.45V

Max. Current at 330W: Imp = 8.59A

Then others told me to put it on the roof as much as possible. So I'm thinking maybe this one would get in there:

https://shop.iftech.cz/solarni-panely/3218-solarni-panel-munchen-solar-545wp-mono-stribrny-ram.html

1x 545 wp monocrystal 2,3x 1x15m

Max. no-load voltage Voc = 49.4V

Max. short-circuit current Isc = 13.9A

Max. voltage at load 545W: Vmp = 41.2V

Max. Current at 545W: Imp = 13.2 A

they say they will never go full power on the flat roof of a car.

the question is? Is it necessary to go to such a panel at all? would it stand it 100/30?

does it make sense or just 330wp is enough?

may a better choice be two smaller ones?

sorry for my english. Jiri

jura23 asked
jura23 commented ·

1 Answer

MPPT 150/70 stops charging

I have an MPPT 150/70, I have had the system running for 6 months, no problem. Its a 48V system, with a LiFeP04 battery and Aims inverter. The frequently I have noticed that it starts to charge in the morning as usual, but will cut out to zero amps of charging current after a couple hours when the battery is partway charged. The system is pulling around 10A from the battery and noting from the MPPT. If I turn on my well...a large load, the charge controller will shoot up to full power, usually around 45A charge current. (Smaller loads will not trigger it to start charging again, not even my 20A furnace). When I turn off the well, it will either go back to zero right away or after a short time. Sometimes it will just keep charging after cycling the well on and off.

I am frustrated trying to determine why the charger would shut off like this. I did take a look at the battery, it is made up of two 24V batteries in series. They are balanced. I also tried hooking up a 24v battery charger to them (while hooked up in parallel and they charge just fine using the external charger.

The charge controller and battery are in my basement, located next to each other and its about 50F-60F in the room.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this, or what I might do to troubleshoot some more?

rtthorn asked
kevgermany edited ·

4 Answers

24V charger with 3 isolated output to charge 48V battery bank

Hello,

Recent fan and total newbie.

I am thinking of a 48V back up system with grid charging for my home power few lights and security system.

When it comes to chargers I found few Victron chargers with 24V ,three isolated outputs. Is it possible to combine the isolated output in series to make a 48V charger? I am looking at

PHOENIX smart IP43

SKYLLA IP 65.

To be future proof I will need Li Battery charge option hence cant use Skylla TG only option with 48V.

Thank you.

vicsla asked
vicsla answered ·

1 Answer

Charge agm start and gel house batterybank with dc to dc ?

Can i use a orion dc to dc to my 150 amp agm start and 240 amp gel house batterybank instead of an argofet insulator? Like in the picture.

[image]

Jeen de Vries asked
kevgermany answered ·

2 Answers

MPPT 250/100

12 X 100W panels in series/parallel on roof of motorhome. 12V batt bank. Inside the shop with ceiling lights on, the PV open voltage is showing 75V. But when I connect it to the controller, it drops to 12.5V. The batteries are at 12.6V. Should it not be able to charge the batts ? Thanks.

jc-alacoque asked
Alan answered ·

2 Answers

Charge Power Ramp Up -> MP2 5000 after Upgrade to 490

Hi Community !

I've upgraded my "Charging Only" MP2 - 5000 to Firmware V490. After upgrading i noticed that the behavior changed. With the previous V477 Firmware i got full charge power just after syncing to mains power (after powering up the unit). Now i get some kind of ramp up. It takes several minutes to get full power.

I've read the changelogs and i'm not able to find any information which would explain this behavior after upgrade.

Is there a chance to get the old functionality back ? If not: where can i download the old version of the firmware ? (its not on victron professional).

thanks a lot !

Jens

Jens Rephöhler asked

0 Answers

Overcharging easysolar 24/3000/70

I am off grid, 8 panels with Easysolar 24/3000/70 mppt 150/70, 4 RGB batteries on a Bush Farm in South Africa- had system for 3 years so far and now on three occasions does not go into float and the batteries start heating up- What could have changed and where do I check and set where system goes to float?

mkingon asked
nickdb commented ·

1 Answer

Setting Up Orion TR Smart 12 | 12 - 30A To Charge Aux Battery

I am after some advice/help setting up a Victron Orion TR Smart as a charger for an Auxiliary battery.

-I am using an Orion TR-Smart 12 | 12 - 30A NON-Isolated DC-DC unit.

-It is installed in an older diesel vehicle with a regular alternator, output of alternator is 60A.

-I have a lead acid starting battery that is connected to the Victron Orion Input, and the Output goes to an EnerSys Powersafe SBS-100F 100AH AGM Battery. (Auxiliary/Second Battery)

-There is also a Victron MPPT Solar Regulator connected to the Auxiliary battery.

-My goal is to have the auxiliary battery receiving charge from the DC-DC Unit, which is run off the main battery.

-I will be running a subwoofer, 60LTR fridge/freezer and volt meter off the Auxiliary Battery.

I am not sure what settings I should be using as a base setup (through the VictronConnect app).

Would anyone be able to give me suitable settings for this kind of use?

d

[image]

Kind Regards.

[image]

ram13 asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

System keeps restarting on EasySolar-II GX

I've had this issue for a while now,
my system keeps restarting while charging either from pv or grid.
the inverter stays functioning properly and does not get interrupted though,
Just the screen shows that the system is restarting, and connection to LAN and VRM is lost for like 20 seconds and comes back again.
While the inverter stays working, am not sure if charging stays working as i can't monitor at the cut time.
Any help is appreciated is i have no access to the dealer here,

Closed

Was asked
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

1 Answer

How to charge 2 separated batteries with only one MPPT ?

I have two battery parks, one for the engine and one for services.

The services park is charged with one Solar Pannel through a MPPT 75/15, but this regulator has only one output.

How should I do to also charge the engine park ?

Thanks a lot

clamar75000 asked
clamar75000 commented ·

1 Answer

App setting

Hi, I've just installed a orion B2B charger,I have lead acid battery so changed the absorption to 14.4v, but in the app under Absorption (automatically calculates absorption time) do i flick this to on or leave it alone,any help would be appreciated thanks

spoton asked
Alexandra edited ·

1 Answer

1317 Posts
87 Users
0 Followers

Topic Experts

Sabrina
0 Points