Lithium Battery Image

Lithium Battery

MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50 and Lithium SuperPack Batteries

We have been supplied a MultiPlus 12/3000/120-50 and 2 x Lithium SuperPack 12,8V 100Ah, the system is all connected up (it's been set to the closest battery settings as marked on the side of the battery as the manual doesn't suggest anything specifically for LiFePO4 batteries), however the MultiPlus when connected to external 230v supply will not charge the batteries (just shows Mains On light) and the Invertor side does nothing other than flash low battery warning. The system also has a Victron Solar PV MPPT set LiFePO4 batteries and that seems to provide charge to the batteries. Can anyone advise what the issue may be with the MultiPlus?

Many Thanks

ianjd asked
tomio commented ·

4 Answers

At what voltage is a Victron Lithium battery at 100%?

Hi Everyone,

At what voltage is a Victron Lithium battery at 100%?

I have a 160Ah LifePo4 Victron battery, and I am trying to understand to what % of the battery my voltage corresponds.

I am struggling to get it charged at more than 13.3V - 3.33V/Cell with the Orion 12/24V non-isolated - 30A.

Don't feel like buying and installing a BMV and find it a ridiculous that we don't get this information on the battery information on the app. This seems fairly basic information.

I did not find much informaiton in the manual and my only references are:

• 14.0V = 100% - 3.5V/cell (last time I saw my battery fully charged after I installed it)
  • 11.2V = 3% - 2.8V/cell (information provided on the user manual)

But, I am not an expert and there might be some technical limitations.

Would anyone know or have an idea.

Thanks in advance,

Rémi

remibggx asked
Sarah edited ·

1 Answer

Is it possible to use Smart BMS CL 12V 100A just for alternator current limiting?

what i understood is this Smart BMS CL 12V 100A BMS has some kind of built in current limiting functionality based on the installed fuse.

so the question is can i use just this functionality of the device without using other bms features ?

or if i ask in another way, if i connect alternator input to an alternator and output to a battery or load, without bms bus related cables connected will it work and be able to limit the current at the output ?

if the answer is no to above question, is there a way to dummy the bms bus or a setting to turn of bms bus checking and work it without these features ?

ers asked
ers edited ·

2 Answers

When does W-B01 reset on a BMS500

Hello,

I have both a BMS500 and a 200Ah Lithium pack 12v. I'm testing the situation what happens if the battery has been depleted and recharged. I found that when the battery was fully discharged and then charged, the battery itself gives no errors but the BMS keeps giving me Error W-B01 and W-B06 even if the pack voltage is above 13v and the cell voltages are over 3.25v

The error is still showing up, when does it disappear and is it by design, since the ATC and ATD are ok.

[image]

[image]

Pieter Boomsma asked

0 Answers

New battery not charging and causing problems.

I recently added a 2nd 14.5 kWh batter to my home solar set up. its connected to a victron multiplus 48/5000.

Every now and then, maybe once a week, i have strange issues relating to charging of the batteries.

For example - ive had a few instances where the old battery discharges completely and the system trips because of low voltage, but the new battery remains at 95 -100%. if you look at the colour controller, the battery state may show 50 or 60%, but that is effectively only the capacity of the new battery. if you reset the new battery, then the system recovers and everything is fine again for a few days. The other instance, the new battery will only charge to say 80 or 90% but the old battery to 100%. This will cause the battery state on the colour controller to not increase beyond 90 or 95%. it seems like the new batteyr is cauing the problems as the old one never had any issues before the new one arrived. Its as if the 2 batteries are not communicating with each other or the inverter. Reset the new battery and then both batteries charge up to 100% again.

Any idea why these issues are occurring ?

wayneman asked
wayneman answered ·

1 Answer

Smart Lithium - 200Ah - Shows low voltage of 4,8v (SOC was 40%) - Bluetooth not working

Can´t find an appropriate answer, so I am starting this thread:

I have a VICTRON Smart Lithium Battery (200Ah) which worked all fine for 2 years now. With the cold in Germany the Charging was disconnected and after a while also the Load. All good. The SOC was 40,7% the Voltage 12,07V at this point.

I decided to put the battery in a warm storage, while being so cold, for charging externally. After 2 days of "warming to room temperature" I decided to charge the battery with a car charger. At this time the battery shows 4,8V and Bluetooth isn´t working anymore.

Is anybody aware of this problem?
Is this some kind of "conservation mode"?

Help is pretty much appreciated, as I need the battery in the next days!!!

Thanks in advance...Daniel

3dclassen asked
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) commented ·

1 Answer

Question about Smart Lithium batteries in parallel and their voltage

I started my battery bank with 2 Smart lithium battery 24 v in parallel (diagonal). In Victron connect they both showed the same voltage. A month later I added a third battery and noticed that the battery in the middle was now 0.10v below the batteries at the ends. Now I added a fourth battery in parallel using Bus bars and noticed that battery 1 and 3 have the same voltage and 2 and 4 voltage is 0.10 below 1 and 3. I thought that by using bus bars (diagonal) they would show the same voltage. Any clues?

bobybayo asked
bobybayo commented ·

4 Answers

Voltage Spikes with Victron MultiPlus and Lithium batteries

Hello!

I'm having issues where I see voltage spikes, most likely from the Victron MultiPlus.

I have seen this in two systems:

System #1:

• Victron MultiPlus 12/3000
  • Victron BMV-712
  • 12x 100Ah 12V Lithium Batteries (Parallel, 1200Ah)

The system has been working without any issues, but I see the spikes as shown in the video below. I have read and heard mentions of cell imbalance, but I have high doubts this is the case. The batteries have been individually charged up to 100% SOC before tests.

System #2:

• Victron MultiPlus 24/3000
  • Victron BMV-712
  • 4x 300Ah 12V Lithium batteries (In series, 600Ah 24V)

Same issues as mentioned above in this system. There are spikes of ampere and voltage, for unknown reasons. In practice, this does not affect the functionality of the system, but it does trigger alarms to go off, which is unfortunate.

I have been in touch with Victron experts, but with no clear answer as to why this is happening.

I'm very curious why these spikes are happening. Is there anyone out there with some knowledge here?

Appreciate all help!

Print screen with 60 day period:

[image]

mjbruen asked

0 Answers

Best 48v BMS

Hi everyone,

I am expecting a shipment of 16x280Ah prismatic LiFePO4 cells. It is my first experience with non-lead acid batteries. I understand that I need a BMS, but there is incredible selection and profound difference in cost between models. I currently have a Cerbo GX which I understand has two data busses, a CAN bus and a proprietary VE.bus. This paragraph is the entire sum of my BMS knowledge, +/-.

I want to find a BMS that integrates maximally with the Cerbo. I'm happy to pay for quality. I don't necessarily need it to be a "supported" solution by Victron, as long as it integrates well. In another group on DIY Powerwalls, Batrium seems to be the most popular name in BMS. Is anyone running a similar system to what I've described, with a Batrium BMS?

What other options do I have? I'm also impressed with REC-BMS, but it's very pricey. A couple other ones I've glanced at are 123Smart BMS, Tiny BMS, Chargery BMS and DIY BMS. Also Daly?

The two most important things to me are 1) safety and 2) integration with my Victron products. This will be a 16s, 48v (although it's not a strict design requirement) LiFePO4 battery with low-moderate current requirements (probably something like a 3000 watt inverter). Thanks for any input!

whafa asked
puitl answered ·

9 Answers

Need Help with Smart Shunt and Battery Charger configurations

Hello Folks, I recently installed the LiFePo4 batteries (2x100Ah) in my offgrid trailer with Victron Smart Shunt (500A/50mV model) and Victron Battery Charger (Victron Energy Blue Smart IP22 12-Volt 30 amp).

The batteries do have built-in bluetooth as well and currently shows 27% SOC, checking individually since they are connected parallelly.

So my concern now is that when I have my shore power plugged in, it was in absorb state for few mins and then went to Storage.

Shunt does not show anything for SOC value and when I turn on the breaker it shows the -ve Amperage being consumed and nothing going in while its plugged into shore at the same time. When i have breaker turned off, it shows 0 draw being off, but shouldn't be +ve value be shown in shunt since its on shore right now.

I am attaching few pictures to show this as well and please see if someone can guide me through this config. I just want to charge them about 50-60% and then remove from shore as I am not taking my trailer out for now.

[image]

[image]

[image]

rmb asked
rmb answered ·

2 Answers

Adding additional 50A plug to MultiPlus II

I have a MultiPlus II 2x120 in my RV along with solar and 10.4kWh of LiFePO batteries. This system is incredibly flexible and provides a lot of benefits including the ability to operate for extended periods of time without hook-ups (shore power) and the ability to operate as if I had 50A service when I only have 30A.

I have added a PHEV to my vehicle line-up and would like the ability to share 50A service with the other electronics in my RV. I would like for the PHEV to have "priority" on the electric service if that makes sense -- it wants to draw 7.5kW when plugged in and I have a Level 2 charger with a 14-50R plug.

My thinking is that I will install a 14-50R receptacle in the RV that I can plug the Level 2 charger into. My question, though, is where to draw power from. One option would be to add a breaker and pull off of the same 50A service (shore power). If I do this, one issue I could have is drawing too much current from shore power unless the MultiPlus II knows about the Level 2 charger. I do have a current monitor but have never used it. Could I connect the current monitor on the main feed from shore power and then parallel the MultiPlus II and the 14-50R for the charger. Would the MultiPlus II restrict it's current knowing how much total current is being drawn and the limit in the MPII?

Another option would be to put the plug on the output of the MultiPlus II. I don't expect to be able to charge without any shore power (my PHEV has a 17.2kWh capacity and my RV only 10.4kWh so it makes no sense to let it draw down the battery if I'm not on shore power). My MPII is a 3kVA unit, but I believe this is just the rating for the inverter. If I was plugged into a 30A service (providing only 3kW of power), the MPII can only make up another 3kW so I'm shy of the current required to charge the PHEV, BUT my charger will allow me to lower it's current draw so I could set that at say 5kW and allow it to charge from both batteries and the shore power. This would allow me to quick-charge the vehicle (this would take about 3h at that rate), draining the batteries some during that time and then when I leave in the vehicle, the MPII would continue to charge the batteries in the RV from the 30A shore power.

Has anyone tried this? Any ideas on the best approach? I've attached a drawing of my current setup without the PHEV power connection for reference.

390RK Solar-11.drawio.pdf

xxn5ac asked
markus-001 edited ·

1 Answer

LiFePo4 battery - 0.1A-0.2A maximum charge current, and that only over 14.5V

Hello community, I looked through many of the threads here and learned a lot (thank you!), but did not manage to find exactly a solution to the situation I am currently facing. The most similar thread being this one:

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/174754/lifepo4-skipping-bulk-phase-going-to-absorption.html

But in that thread, neither solar charging nor wall charging works, which seems plausible. In my case, one of the two works, the other not.

I have the following setup:

- Inexpensive LiFePo4 100Ah battery with BMS

- Victron IP65 12/10 blue smart charger

- Victron BMV712 smart battery monitor

- Inexpensive solar panel with PWM charge controller

In the beginning, everything worked well and I did a full charge/discharge/charge cycle with the new battery (it performed well, 104Ah drawn). But since some time now, the battery does not seem to charge any more. It sits around 13.1V-13.2V volts and works fine when used with 12V loads as well as with a 1000W inverter no problem. Charging from solar seems to work good enough, during wintertime 1.5A-2A charging current and I brought it from 13V to 13.2V. But the problem is loading from a wall socket. No matter what I do, the charging current is 0A.

The IP65 12/10 charger quickly jumps from bulk to absorption charge, the voltage stays at 14.2V, but the current stays at 0A. Checking with the BMV712, it also shows 14.19V and 0A current. When I unplug the charger, the battery voltage quickly drops back to 13.1V-13.2V. When I connect the charger again, it quickly goes to 14.2V / 0A.

I tried a different, cheaper charger, with the same situation - the charger tries to charge for a very short time (goes to 14.2V), but then after split second thinks the battery is full and goes to 0A and stops charging (back to 13.2V).

So my question is, I guess: is the battery broken? Or am I understanding something fundamentally wrong on how charging is supposed to work?

I really don't understand why solar charging works, but wall charging doesn't. Any input is highly appreciated!

silvestro asked
snoobler commented ·

1 Answer

Lithium Battery warmers and heat pads

Hi, Just wondering what the latest info might be on heating your Lithium Batteries in subzero temperatures.

I did a search on the archives and found the following.

https://www.thermosensedirect.com/acatalog/silicone_rubber_mat_heaters.html

Just wondering if there's anything else that someone has tried and can recommend here.

Thanks

tomio asked
sebastian-k answered ·

2 Answers

Redirect solar DC energy to heater when temperature is too low to charge lithium batteries?

I have a remote cabin with 5 kW solar, a 150V/100 Victron MPPT and Victron Lithium batteries with a 5 degree C charging cut off. When the temperature drops it's often sunny out, but the batteries won't charge due to the low temperature. Is it possible to redirect the MPPT power to some form of DC heater? Does the MPPT output turn off at 5C or is it the battery BMS that tells it to shut down? I'd like to redirect the DC power to warm up the cabin and ideally get it over the 5C cutoff to start recharging the batteries.

Thanks!

craigh-1 asked
stewartpe edited ·

7 Answers

battery balancer with lithium batteries

A new system using 2 x 12v lithium batteries to make a 24 volt supply. Victron Blue smart charge control with 1 Kw of PV. The batteries are nominal 12v , but have a maximum voltage of 12.6v. Operating voltage of 10 - 12.4 v.

When charging, the difference between the batteries is up to 0.6v which is too high. I have set the target voltages in the charge controller 24.4 absorbtion and 24.2 float.

The battery balancers are set to remain off until the voltage is above 26.6. It would be useful to be able to use a balancer in this system, but i see no way to adjust this setting which is too high.

Other solutions ?

Robert Bazalgette asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

1266 Posts
925 Users
28 Followers

Topic Experts

wkirby
1726 Points