system design Image

system design

Which Parts to buy?

My camper is 30 amp. We are planning to install 3 200-watt solar panels and 3 200 amh batteries. What are the best Victron components to run the system?

tracyfr asked
gazza commented ·

1 Answer

Multiplus 48/3000 ESS reliability

Hi,

I'm trying to fix battery issue on an ESS system. The schematic is hereafter:

[image]

How it works ?

Normaly Q1 is off and the system is running "off-grid"

Q2 is switched on by the user when U1 shuts down because low voltage is reached (batteries are empty) In winter or because of bad weather, Mains supplies the system.

This was working for 2 years, but recently I was called by the user to check his system because he has to switch Q1 on more and more often ...

First check was the battery capacity. so I measure the C20 capacity of each 2 years old 220Ah Victron AGM battery.

Results:

B1 = 212 Ah

B2 = 44 Ah

B3 = 211 Ah

B4 = 207 Ah

Conclusion: B2 is faulty and leads to low batt. state when discharged, limiting the total bank capacity.

I have no idea of the B2 original capacity because il was not measured prior to installation.

So I want to replace B2 by a new one, but I'd like to improve system to avoid a future unbalanced battery pack and of course damaged batteries.

My question: Is it possible to leave Q1 on, and to let the Multiplus choose between mains from Q2, when batterie SOC < 50%, of course Multiplus has to charge batteries lets say up to 80% in the case there is no solar power available from U1.

When battery SOC is > 50% multiplus should not use mains supply but should use the battery to supply system.

I don't want the inverter to inject power in mains.

Is it possible to link components: Multiplus, BMV, and MPPT to exchange temperature, SOC, current, informations in order to drive correctly the system ? (Mplus has only 2xRJ45 I/O connectors)

How to configure the system to do this ?

As BMV 700 doesn't have temperature sensor, I consider to change it by a BMV 712 one.

As VRLA batteries should not be equalized, I consider the use of battery balancers to keep the battery bank balanced

Thanks for your help.

cargol66 asked
nickdb answered ·

1 Answer

Do I have the wrong Quattro?

My boat came from the factory with a somewhat unusual configuration. It's in storage for the winter and I plan to ask them to change around some of the electrical system.

It has a Quattro 12/5000/120-2x100 120V. The boat is 12V. I have a 50A 230V shore power connection. The Northern Lights 6 kVA generator can be wired to output 120V or 240V. I believe the generator can only put out 30A regardless of how it's wired (due to a certain circuit breaker). The boat has two AC panels--one for lower power circuits (outlets, fridge, etc.) and a high power panel with the AC and water heater on it. There are no 220V circuits or loads on the boat. It's not wired correctly right now, so I won't bother explaining how it's currently setup.

My question is how should it be setup?

With my current Quattro, I would assume I would connect as follows:

• AC-in-1: Genset wired for 120V (would prefer 220V so a I can get full 6kVA at 25A?)
  • AC-in-2: Shore power, but what about both legs? Not sure what to do with Leg 2?
  • AC-out-1: Low power AC panel
  • AC-out-2: High power AC panel

I am wondering if I need to change to a different 220V Quattro? Or two 120V Quattros in some way? In a perfect world, when I am on shore power, I would like to be able to use 50A total across both the high and low power AC panels.

I hope this is clear and appreciate any advice or insight the community has. Thanks in advance for your help.

cory-eaves asked
Kevin Windrem answered ·

1 Answer

Multi RS Solar 48/6000 setup

Hello everyone.

I'm just setting up my first victron based domestic system in a flat in London. I've made the following "design setup" ... can you critique it?

Since I'll be running "off grid with AC input" - i.e. no feedback to grid possible. I don't need a DNO declaration (as far as I know!).

I decided to mate the high-voltage Maxeon3-400 Panels (5 panel string) with the high voltage Multi RS-Solar 48/6000... hoping to achieve decent efficiency from dawn till dusk... time will tell if it works out.

[image]

londonflatthing asked
Shiv commented ·

4 Answers

Can the multi RS solar handle a 4600Wp solar panel system?

I have 4600 Wp of solar panels (divided in two strings). Can this be connected to a multi RS solar? If not, what is the best setup to accomplish this, knowing that I also want to connect a battery?

prufrock asked
energie-utechnik answered ·

2 Answers

Adding Batteries and Multi to Existing PV System

Starting point: grid-tied PV system on a detached garage. The system is wired into a garage subpanel that connects to the main panel on the house. It is just a standard grid-tied system:

[image]

I would like to add a battery backup. I would only want to use the batteries when the grid fails. I could wire the AC-in side of the Multi into my main panel and then move all of the existing circuits into a subpanel that would be connected to the AC-out side of the Multi. Then I would end up with this system:

[image]

However, I would prefer not to tear my main panel apart.

Here is my proposed solution: I would like to leave the AC-in side of the Multi unconnected while connecting AC-out to the main panel (no other modifications to main panel). The system would look like this:

[image]

However, the obvious problem with this system is that without the AC-in side connected, the system doesn't know if grid power has been lost. It would end up pushing power back onto the grid in the event of an outage. Even with a grid meter, the problem would remain.

My question is this: it is possible to get around the islanding problem by connecting the Multi and batteries to the main panel through a generator interlock? In this way, when I am connected to grid power, the Multi would be totally disconnected from the house; the system would continue to function as a simple grid-tied AC system. However, if I were to lose grid power, I could use the interlock to turn off the mcb (disconnect from grid) and then turn on the breaker connected to the Multi. I would end up with this system:

[image]

Until grid power was restored, I would use the system as diagramed above. Is this type of install possible?

awbower asked
awbower answered ·

4 Answers

How to install MultiPlus-II AC system in a detached garage

I have a detached garage that is powered off a subpanel fed from the main house (grid > main house > detached garage). I would like to install solar on the roof of my detached garage and have the MultiPlus-II and batteries inside the garage. It would be setup as an AC system. I would like to do this while maintaining my grid connection.

With the whole system in the detached garage, there is no easy way to wire power from the meter directly into the AC-in side of the MultiPlus-II. My question is: can the MultiPlus-II interface with the grid on the AC-out side? In this way, the grid would just appear as an additional power source on top of what the PV panels are producing.

awbower asked
sharpener answered ·

4 Answers

System Schematic for a simple (non-Lithium) Victron boat setup?

I love the system schematics Victron has posted under the MultiPlus II "system schematics" tab: https://www.victronenergy.com/inverters-chargers/multiplus-ii#system-schematics

Ex: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/MultiPlus-II-3KW-120VAC-12VDC-400Ah-Li-VEBus-BMS-generator-MPPT-BMV-Cerbo-Orion-Tr-Smarts.pdf

But they're rather complicated for my entry-level point of view... they're like the use-all-the-Victron-products example. Anyone know of a schematic example for a more base case / bare bones Victron setup - ex, without lithium batteries, say just 300 Ah AGMs, solar, an inverter/charger, and SmartShunt with Cerbo GX + Touch GX?

I'm building a new system on a boat and want it to be future ready for Lithium, but I don't necessarily need all that complexity now. Ex, I believe a non-Lithium schematic wouldn't require VE.Bus BMS, the Smart Battery Protects, and the Orion-Tr DC-DC chargers.

svviolethour asked
kevgermany answered ·

1 Answer

System Design (Marine)

Hello,

I am designing an upgraded electrical system for my 32' sailboat to LiFePo4 batteries with built-in BMS. If anyone would be willing to review/provide feedback, I would really appreciate it. This design does not incorporate a multi-plus that is in many of the example designs. This is due to limited space, but if it's required please let me know, and maybe I can cram it in somewhere! Thanks!

My main question is how to best control the Orion so that I don't drain the starter battery. I have a Cerbo GX (not shown), maybe this can monitor the starter voltage to shut it off below a certain voltage? Or I could wire a manual switch to turn it on when the engine is running I guess too.

[image]

kurt-braun asked
kurt-braun commented ·

3 Answers

Camper van electric system - is it ok??

Hi,

So I think I have finally figured out what I need to get for our camper conversion (vw crafter LWB) and come up with:

2x100ah Li batteries

350w solar (2 x 175w renogy flexible mono in series)

Victron 30A 12/12 Orion b2b

100/50 victron mppt smart solar

BMV 712 victron smart battery monitor

Does this sound about right? The mppt completely confused me!! Also do we need a smart battery protect?

Thanks in advance for the help!

gj83 asked
ingo21 answered ·

1 Answer

3.8kw Offgrid: Victron EasySolar 2 48v.35 with mppt 250/70 3000w Design + Fuses

Is the below correct before I go further? Thanks in-advance

PV 3.8kw Offgrid: Victron EasySolar 2 48v.35 with mppt 250/70 3000w

1. Panels = 10 x JA SOLAR JM60S20 380/MR 380W VOC 41.62 V VMP 34.77 V ISC 11.47 A MP 10.93 A CLASS II MAX SYS 1000V, MAX AMP 20 TOTAL 3,8KW

2. two strings 5 x 2 in series and wired series parallel, only one mppt and costly for another so all panels same direction height etc.PV Wiring = 6mm x 10m to inverter from shortest end 17m from last panel. 2 shocty diodes inline on each string + 1000v/20a to prevent reverse polarity. Then 32a 1000v disconnect before going to inverter

3. Storage Pylontech 3000 and 3000c with 2m pylontech victron cables of correct size with 2 x 120a fuses on each pole.

4. AC As this is not mains connected I am wondering what sort of consumer unit as have a few given to me but only need one ring main - .2 at the most for garden tools, But note easysolar has 2 ac outputs, does this mean no consumer unit is needed?

Does this configuration sound ok?

Andrew asked
klim8skeptic commented ·

3 Answers

Noob system questions semi-offgid?

Hello,

I have a few questions, i do not know if everything is feasable and at which costs /Equipment. So any advice is appreciated.

Situation:

Currently I have 10 kVa of SMA Solar convertors and around 13800 wp of panels. Producing around 12500 kWh yearly. This 10 kVA is grid tied, and a 10 kVa connection is the largest connection that is allowed as standard where i live, I applied for an exception to 20-25 kVa, but then I have to go to a hourly dynamic pricing contract.

My home usage is around 4000 kWh year. Quite stable at around 10-14 kWh Day

I have an EV, battery of around 50 KW, Needs around 80 kWH / week. The car is at home 3-4 days a week during daytime, and can be loaded with a smart charging station primarily on solar power instantly.

I have some larger power equipment, electrical engines of around 10 KW, averaging 2000 kWh yearly, not included in the standard home usage. I can try and use this as much as possible on sunny days, using quite a bit of instant solar power.

What do I want to achieve:

Become more autark and use as much of my own produced electricity as possible or at least be able to sell enough to the grid (around 4-1 ratio) to buy back the amount that I need myself.

Would be nice to be able to connect a smaller generator for cases of emergancy, and preferably the system has to be able to provide power to the house in case of an power outage.

I need the batterystorage solution to be able to provide around 5000 watts back to the house / garage / grid . 10000 would be nice.

Extra information:

I do have to room to put another 15000 wp of panels on another roof, but if I do not get approved to get a larger then 10 kVa connection, I can only use this a offgrid or semi offgrid set-up.

Any tips for me? Alsothe amount of batteries that would be recommended/ and the minimal amount to get started? Thinking aboutb pylontech US5000’s or similar.

joost asked

0 Answers

What do you hink about this system?

What do you think about this system, any feedbacks or suggestion?

Thank you in advance from Switzerland

Alois

Solar system Chalet.jpg

scroller asked
scroller commented ·

1 Answer

PVSyst Victron OND files

Hi all, seems there's is no such info available (OND files) to upload Victron products data base to PVSyst. It turns that there is a lot of demand on those products but is not possible to run simulations with out data.

alan-gonzalez asked
pablosol2 answered ·

1 Answer

Input on off-grid system

Hello everyone,

I have a plan for an off-grid system that I wanted to run by you guys for input:

Solarpanels: 32 x 420w Sunpower tot 13.4Kw (already purchased) will be installed to fit with the MPPT (string and parallel)

Inverter: 3x Victron Energy Quattro 8000 Watt 48 Volt Inverter & 110 Amp Battery Charger 230 VAC

MPPT: 4x SmartSolar MPPT RS 450/100

2x BYD Battery-Box Premium LVL 15.4

1x Victron Color Control GX

If anyone has any input (good or bad) I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bettina

beov44 asked
beov44 answered ·

9 Answers

Followers

181 Posts
168 Users
3 Followers

Topic Experts

wkirby
460 Points