question

Bob Sweeney avatar image
Bob Sweeney asked

Issue with logging into Venus GX

My Victron system is installed in an RV consisting of 3 Battleborn Lithium batteries, Victron BMV-712, Victron 2K inverter, MPPT 100-50 solar and Venus GX. It was set up at my home and the Venus was successfully transmitting data via my home wireless network to the VRM over the winter. My first trip away from home and when I changed my iPad wireless to the Venus GX it is requesting the password. I used the expected password with no success. I entered the pwd from the sticker on the side of the Venus unit also with no success. So the question is there a way to reset the password to get access to the Venus WiFi while I am on the road?

Venus OSVenus GX - VGX
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bob Sweeney avatar image Bob Sweeney commented ·

Adding an update to my post. After returning home the Venus did not automatically re-connect to the home wireless system. So I removed the unit from the RV and powered it up at my computer desk. Still couldn't log into the Venus unit. Thats when I noticed a small hole on the upper right side of the case and I stuck a small screwdriver in there. It turns out that is a reset switch. Now I was able to log into the Venus using the password on the side of the unit and disable the wireless link and set up the wireless to the RV wireless router which can be updated to link into RV site wireless systems. It got too dark to re-install but I think this should solve my issue. It looks like the software was just not accepting the default password until I reset the unit, then everything worked correctly.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Hi Bob, you will need to connect a computer to the network port log onto the Venus and reconfigure the password, or if you still have VRM access then you can do it through the VRM as well

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Bob. I *think* what you're saying here is that your GX is permanently linked to your home wireless network. And you can indeed access it directly via your local LAN. No password needed there.

Once you've left home your only access is via the VRM portal, and it may/will request a username(email address) &/or password to let you in. The password is something you will have provided yourself. Mine asks me for that once per day, likely because my system shuts down overnight. You may also have ticked the 'Stay signed-in' box, so this request may be unfamiliar to you.

But I won't go on, coz I might be offbeam with what you're doing. So just give me a kick-along. :)

Edit/: Yeh ok, So you went away in the rv of course?, silly me. So then your GX had no www, nor an allocated address for access to the screen in your normal way. Unfortunately it's not an easy fix to duplicate what you're used to easily, but there may be a workaround I'm unfamiliar with. Sorry.

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Hey John
I think the OP is trying to connect to the GX in Access Point mode (the GX is the Access Point). However without the password, I'm out of ideas too.

0 Likes 0 ·
Pat Davitt avatar image
Pat Davitt answered ·

Try creating a WiFi Hotspot on your Ipad. This feature depends on your plan with your carrier. Link to Apple Support is below:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204023

That way the Venus GX should be able to WiFi connect to your Ipad and use the IPad's cellular data connection to contact the VRM.

Pat

2 |3000