question

rainer avatar image
rainer asked

Differences VictronConnect and VEconfigure3

I am configuring a Multiplus II.

VEconfigure3 allows me to load assistants when virtual switches are not used.
It is clearly stated in a popup note from VEconfigure3 that enabling the virtual switches and therefore the AC input control disables the assistants and vice-versa.

VictronConnect does not have a section for configuring assistants and allows to configure AC input control, even after loading the ESS assistant with VEconfigure3.

It seems that the two programs are currently not consistent?
It seems that VEconfigure3 should be used for the Multiplus configuration with assistants?

Some more background:
I wanted to configure under Linux.
VEconfigure3 is available only under Windows, while VictronConnect has a build for Linux.
Anyway, there seems to be some problem with VictronConnect under Linux. With Manjaro Linux installed on a newer Hardware, VictronConnect detects the Multiplus connected over the USB-MK3 interface. With the same version of Manjaro Linux installed on an older laptop, VictronConnect does not detect the Multiplus connected over the USB-MK3 interface. There is no problem with the detection of the Multiplus under Windows though (it is a dual boot system).

Multiplus-IIVictronConnectVEConfigure 3Assistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If you want to/have to use assistants you have to use VE.config.

You can also create assistants to ignore AC IN (general flag).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rainer avatar image
rainer answered ·

Matthias, thanks a lot for the reply.
You are mentioning that one can create assistants to ignore AC in with a general flag.
This is also what I have learnt from the online training, and I want to make use of that.

I want to use ESS, but switch off AC in for certain periods of time.
I have not found any documentation on how to do that.
I guess I would have to load two assistants in a certain sequence?
Do you have some suggestions?

2 |3000

philippe avatar image
philippe answered ·

@Rainer Hi, I had a similar same issue today.

I charge ESS assistent with VE.configure and afterwards, I enable(disable) AC ignore with the VCN (VictronConnect). So far so good. Why, ease of use

• sometimes I need to ignore the AC ignore function (eg: when I'm on a trip and have electricity included on the spot/camping)
  • for VE.configure changes, i need to dig up an old Windows laptop to be able to use. (MacOS user)

I noticed that sometimes my ESS assistent disappeared but did not pay attention on how it arrived. Today I have it again. I changed the AES parameters with VCN and requested to reboot the Multiplus, and this result in erase of the assistent and added the visual switch to ignore the AC Input.

Conclusion: sequence of operation is important and some modifications with VCN result in other changes in the background. But it is a workable solution.

2 |3000