question

jcottis avatar image
jcottis asked

Battery Balancer not working?

Hi, I installed a few days ago a Battery Balancer Unit as per the diagram below however instead of 6 Series-Parallel 12v (AGM) Batteries (24v system) I only have 4, when I first installed it the green standby led was on, after a couple of days it has gone out, it's in the engine room so I have been down there to check it in closer detail, I notice on the BMV-712 the Mid-point voltage deviation is showing 0.00% so it appears to be fully in balance. Any clues why the led is not showing, it is still working?

1629190178673.png

Battery Balancer
1629190178673.png (81.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Check the battery voltage, the balancer will be on if the voltage is more than 27,3V.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Battery-Balancer-EN.pdf
1629191649190.png

1629191649190.png (111.2 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jcottis avatar image jcottis commented ·

Thank you Matthias Lange - DE I will check based on this

0 Likes 0 ·
drdata avatar image drdata jcottis commented ·
Hi,

I have the same setup as JCOTTIS - wired as shown in his diagram. He stated that the green led initially was on but later turned off. Mine never came on when I installed the balancer hardware - my system voltage is < 27.3v, so what I gather is that it should not be on. My question is: how do I know that my balancer is working and not DOA out of the box?

tia,

DrData

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ drdata commented ·
You have to charge your battery bank to increase the voltage to more than 27,3V
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ drdata commented ·
You can also see the balance between the batteries in VRM or your BMV if set up.
0 Likes 0 ·
mike48t avatar image
mike48t answered ·

HI Matthias, good day, I thought I had the same problem as jcottis, as its a little confusing as the lighting arrangement ( LED's), Shown On.Standby , so would expect on connection that it would go to either/or depending on status of Volts as you define above, however to all intents and purpose the system looked to be dead at 1st revision,, but as you say it seems to work ok the way you describe, thanks <mike>

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic