question

markmoto avatar image
markmoto asked

mppt and b2b chargers what is the difference

Forgive my naive question.

What is actual difference between mppt and b2b chargers, both getting current from the source and processing according to the charging profile?

battery chargingVenus OSmppt charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
markmoto avatar image
markmoto answered ·
And if I can connect mppt to vehicle alternator and charge my battery efficiently why do I need b2b charger ?
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

@markmoto the mppt needs the input voltage to be 5V above battery voltage for the mppt to start, with an alternator, this is not possible.

Cheers

Wayne

2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

An MPPT solar charge controller searches for the best voltage/current combination for maximum power transfer. This varies over time due to sun intensity and angle, clouds, etc.

A DC-DC charger doesn't have such a complex tracking algorithm and simply converts one power source to another.

Similar battery charge curves would apply to the outputs of both.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)