question

kernowsolar avatar image
kernowsolar asked

DC to DC Converter Step Up - Amp Question

Hello, if I have a 20amp DC input and use a Victron DC-DC converter 12v to 24v, will the out put be 10amp, as the amps will halve as the current is converted from 12v to 24v?

If that is correct, can I purchase a 10amp DC to DC converter where the input is 20amp and the Output 10amp? Or are the converters sized from the Input current?

Thank you for your help

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The current in the name is always the output current.

So a Orion-Tr 12/24-10A has an input voltage of 12V, an output voltage of 24V and an output current of 10A -> input current is 20A+conversion losses.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kernowsolar avatar image kernowsolar commented ·
Hello Matthias, thank you for your reply; okay, so I am safe to purchase the 10amp Orion DC to DC converter as the input current is 20amp 12v, which will make the output 10amp at 24v. This is good, as a 10amp Converter is cheaper than a 20amp converter :)
0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ kernowsolar commented ·
You have to select the Orion depending on how much output power you need (what loads you want to supply) if you need 10A or less than a 12/24-10 is good.
0 Likes 0 ·