question

kernowsolar avatar image

DC to DC Converter Step Up - Amp Question

Hello, if I have a 20amp DC input and use a Victron DC-DC converter 12v to 24v, will the out put be 10amp, as the amps will halve as the current is converted from 12v to 24v?

If that is correct, can I purchase a 10amp DC to DC converter where the input is 20amp and the Output 10amp? Or are the converters sized from the Input current?

Thank you for your help

dc dc converters
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

The current in the name is always the output current.

So a Orion-Tr 12/24-10A has an input voltage of 12V, an output voltage of 24V and an output current of 10A -> input current is 20A+conversion losses.

2 comments
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hello Matthias, thank you for your reply; okay, so I am safe to purchase the 10amp Orion DC to DC converter as the input current is 20amp 12v, which will make the output 10amp at 24v. This is good, as a 10amp Converter is cheaper than a 20amp converter :)
You have to select the Orion depending on how much output power you need (what loads you want to supply) if you need 10A or less than a 12/24-10 is good.