question

ondra avatar image
ondra asked

EasySolar ESS randomly switches charging-discharging mode

hi, when charging or discharging battery in ESS mode, EasySolar 48/3000 / 35-50 randomly switches mode - float / discharge, bulk / discharge ... This is repeated approximately once time in 3 minutes. Behavior is the same as at minimum power and at maximum power.

The strange behavior of the inverter is seen on the video

Firmware on all devices is updated. I use 1f grid meter and Fronius Primo in AC OUT, grid setpoint -20W. In several posts, a similar behavior of the inverter has been solved, it has always been solved by new firmware. I have the latest firmware - 433.

Please help me what to do, or if it is a standard behavior. Thanks Ondra

(I apologize for my English, I am not a native speaker )

ESSEasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Hi Ondra,
It looks normal to me, the system reacts to varying loads and (solar) input, trying to get to your -20W grid setpoint.
You can try setting it at +50W and will see less discharge moments, maybe even no discharge even if the battery is being used. (ESS can be strange that way, I stopped looking at the status).

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ondra avatar image ondra commented ·

Hello Boekel, thanks for your reply.

For 14 days I have tested various settings, changing the setpoint from -200W to + 200W, switching on / off the grid meter and other attempts to set parameters in the ESS, unfortunately it behaves the same way. Increasing the setpoint to a + or -100 drop will help in the morning and evening when there are small supplies from the PV / PV Charger. The picture shows the behavior of the inverter in the morning – setpoint was -20W.

Today I disconnected all outputs, the setpoint was set to -20W, power of the inverter and PV charger 0W and the behavior again the same. The worst inverter worked when I set setpoint 0, also all AC out was OFF.

Unfortunately, this is probably the standard ESS feature, I've seen it on another system.

0 Likes 0 ·
jirka avatar image
jirka answered ·

Sorry to all. This is little bit off topic.

@Ondra muzes me prosim kontaktovat. Take mam easysolar a resim obdobne. Kontakt na strankach hnat.eu diky

1 comment
2 |3000

Stanislav Vávra avatar image Stanislav Vávra commented ·

ahoj, pro oba Jirka i Ondra, mohli by jste mi prosím napsat e-mail, nebo zavolat? stanavavra@gmail.com 728278861 mám asi stejný problém, a chtěl bych vědět jak se to u Vás přesně projevovalo a v jakých časových intervalech. díky!

0 Likes 0 ·
ondra avatar image
ondra answered ·

Some time has passed and I have new knowledge of ESS mode testing. Jirka, also the inverter owner Victron recommended me to try the HUB-4 mod. To my surprise, HUB-4 is absolutely stable against ESS mode.

Here is the unstable ESS mode:

Here is a stable HUB-4 mode:

All settings were the same, I just changed the assistants ... A new version of the firmware has recently been released - version 459. So I did FW upgrade and tried ESS mod again. Regulation responses in ESS mode have improved, but the stability problem remains. Here's the video:

The HUB-4 is stable with the new FW.

The only way to run victron in the Czech and Slovak Republics is to use deprecated HUB-4, which is a shame…

I searched the Czech forums for what could be a problem. Many people claim that Victron inverters are sensitive to ripple control signals:

Ripple control

This signal is audible on the inverter transformer, gently purring when the signal is transmitted.

The ESS mode responds by switching between charging / discharging, HUB-4 is stable.

Please solve this problem so that we can use ESS mode in countries where Ripple control is used. Thanks Ondra

2 |3000