question

paul-turnbull avatar image
paul-turnbull asked

MPPT Charge Controller: how to increase solar array size?

I currently have a 600w solar array with one 100/50 MPPT controller. I need to increase my solar array to around 900w which obviously means more solar panels, but do I need an extra MPPT controller? Thanks

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·
You did not mention your battery Voltage.

For a 12V battery Voltage, 600W is pretty much the full capacity of this controller.
If a 24V or 48V battery Voltage there is spare capacity.

If you battery Voltage is 12V then this controller can make a maximum of 740W when the battery Voltage is at the high end (14.8V).
The additional PV modules can be installed to bring the array up to 900W and the controller would be fine, it would just take a maximum of 740W from the array, the remaining 160W would not be harvested. This would only really happen is full sunshine ideal conditions, so if you can live with that then you do not need to upgrade the controller.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

paul-turnbull avatar image
paul-turnbull answered ·

Hi wkirby

Thanks for this. My voltage IS 12v so in your opinion am I better to install a second controller to the extra panels I need, and can this controller be also used to charge the battery bank ie two arrays and two controllers both feeding one battery bank.

MTIA

Paul

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
Maybe get the panels first and connect them to your current controller and see how you get on. If you are not consistently maxing out this controller then you probably don't need another controller.

If you do decide to get another controller, then you can run two together on one battery, no problem. I have four MPPT's feeding in to my battery.

0 Likes 0 ·