question

Marius Marais avatar image
Marius Marais asked

WHY does the old VE.CAN BlueSolar 150/85 (rectangular metal box) not support external BMSes?

Almost every ESS battery compatibility page notes that old VE.CAN BlueSolar (150/85 & 150/70) with the rectangular metal case does NOT support external BMSes, because the firmware does not implement the required control instructions.

On the face of it, this makes sense.

However, after a couple of years of this being the case, WHY has the feature not been implemented?

I currently have some of these devices, and they are essentially useless now.

I understand that firmware "space" might be an issue to add this feature, but would it not be possible to build a cut-down firmware that contains ONLY this feature and none of the standalone charging features? That way a "BMS-compatible" firmware can be flashed, since none of the other features matter then.

It really is a shame that these excellent chargers have basically been abandoned now, especially since they were marketed as the top-of-range models initially.

Lithium BatteryBMSVE.Can
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Yes they where the "top model" but they also EOL for a few years now.

Maybe you could use the remote connector to switch off the MPPT with a "high cell" signal.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Marius Marais avatar image
Marius Marais answered ·

Sure, they're EOL, but they're EOL because they're abandoned, not because they were 10 years old at the time.

It feels like the range was a design mistake -- too few processing resources put in initially.

But now the customer ends up being screwed. :)

I completely agree that EOL devices shouldn't be used for new installations, but if you already have them, maybe something is possible here?

OK, less complaining, more problem-solving... Could the GX device toggle a relay to signal "Stop Charging"? I.e. when it would send the VE.Can message to everything else, also toggle the relay?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?