question

timapex avatar image
timapex asked

Intermittent VE Bus state OFF, no warnings. Lost power 30seconds

Any gurus out there have any ideas on this problem?

8kW Quattro, 7 x Pylontech Force 1, 2 x Blue Solar chargers commissioned this week. System ticks away quite nicely then randomly the inverter appears to switch off very briefly. Owner complains of losing power for around 30 seconds. Happened twice yesterday and twice the day before. Can see the event in advanced logging (VE Bus state briefly off) but no warnings generated. Rest of system unaffected. Doesn’t seem to correspond to anything unusual… no large loads at the time, etc. We’ve had storms the last day or two, not sure if this would be a factor. Anyone have any ideas??

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargercerbo gxPylontechoffgridVE.Bus
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·
A full system diagram showing how everything is connected inc the BMS could be of help,

also what Fw is everything on, what is the historical loads when its switch off on the vrm etc etc

More infor is needed please

0 Likes 0 ·
dafyddhirst avatar image dafyddhirst Paul B commented ·

I Have a system with similar issues

15K quattro -v481 VE CAN
Cerbo GX - v2.63

Smart Solar Charger 150/45 V1.54 VE Direct

BYD BMS - BMSCAN

shows nothing unusual in vrm ... your welcome to take a look . all loads stable around 3 kW

Inverter just goes to off for 30s then all comes back on and shows off on VRM

Cerbo still stays on ... BMS still stays on ..Its just the quatro

(Ive not seen the lights on the front when it does it)
I do have the e stop assistant loaded on the quatro - could this be cause of issue?

Other assistant is to start and stop a relay when the fan is on
My next job is to disable all assistants.

system is charged by generator if not enough solar.

1627208401251.png1627208438686.png1627208465634.png1627208630244.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1627208401251.png (18.3 KiB)
1627208438686.png (30.1 KiB)
1627208465634.png (27.1 KiB)
1627208630244.png (21.3 KiB)
timapex avatar image timapex Paul B commented ·
efa2f004-14bb-4a5b-91b1-0c2fc197d5fc.jpegImage Caption

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi Paul, sorry trying to do this on my mobile phone images aren’t uploading too well. It’s a basic system setup according to the Victron pylon tech document. Installed 5 days ago. All devices updated to latest firmware during installation. Pylontech Force 1 stack connected to cerbo gx via Victron CAN type A. VE Bus Quattro to cerbo gx. Victron direct from MPPT’s to cerbo gx. Manfr supplied 25mm from batteries to lynx, 35mm from MPPT’s to lynx bus, 70mm from lynx bus to Quattro. No assistants, relays, etc, just the basic configuration as spec’d in Victron a document. Largest load around 2kW AC, 49A DC. But events don’t correspond to loads. Seem to occur randomly, around 200W AC load, around twice a day. Can’t see any pattern.

0 Likes 0 ·

Load at time of events pretty insignificant, around 200W. Pictured shutdown/OFF event at 13:55, with moderate load at 14:22. da3c1ca5-21ae-4dc5-b204-862db64eaf7a.jpegImage Caption

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·

I have also similar events lasting 30 sec but my system simply switches to inverting and reconnects to the grid after 30 seconds.

No alarms or notifications are recorded,

In my case it is a grid dropping for split second and MultiPluse's hardware reacts but software does not because is to slow.

18 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dafyddhirst avatar image dafyddhirst commented ·
That sounds normal . does it actually result in a power outage in your case? and report as off?

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp dafyddhirst commented ·

Hi @DafyddHirst

does it actually result in a power outage in your case?  and report as off?

It happen only once when at that moment discharging was not allowed by BMS.

I do not use CAN signals for BMS.

0 Likes 0 ·
dafyddhirst avatar image dafyddhirst marekp commented ·
Ahh ok . Mine was in inverting mode at the time with no grid.

0 Likes 0 ·
Hi @DafyddHirst

In that case I would look into the battery not being able to provide power for the load. Maybe BMS decided not to allow discharging for some internal reason.

Do you have access to BMS internal reports on individual cells?

0 Likes 0 ·

not to hand ill have to go to the system to look. i did not loose the cerbo at the time or any of the dc kit on the battery so my suspicions lead to the quattro 1627209667023.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1627209667023.png (28.0 KiB)
Hi @DafyddHirst

It is strange.

If inverting was not allowed by BMS you would have total shutdown without the grid present.

0 Likes 0 ·
Thats true.. Or the inverter could have gone to charge while running on battery . @mvader (Victron Energy) would you have any thoughts what causes this and any work around? Not much use as a UPS if it interrupts its self :)
0 Likes 0 ·

Hi @DafyddHirst

Your graph (512) does not show any charging activity at the "OFF" moment (12:10). Charging happens only after grid is back at 12:15. What was the MPPT production at that time?

Come to think of it, if battery is connected and BMS prevents inverting, the inverter electronics are still under power so GX would not turn off. Only inverting is not happening and there is no AC output.

0 Likes 0 ·
The unit was in inverting mode at the time... after it happened grid appears as I started generator manually.

0 Likes 0 ·
dafyddhirst avatar image dafyddhirst dafyddhirst commented ·

MPPT was

1627315935997.png1627315981831.png1627315961925.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1627315935997.png (23.3 KiB)
1627315961925.png (31.0 KiB)
1627315981831.png (14.7 KiB)
Hi @DafyddHirst

Those graphs do not show anything odd at 12:10 when OFF happens.

Most probable is that BMS "told" inverter not to invert at 12:10 and AC turned off.

I do not use CAN connection for my BMS so I do not know where to look for confirmation.

0 Likes 0 ·
I see your point . But that would have shut down the MPTT as well as that's controlled by the same BMS via the Cerbo. and I would have seen some sort of BMS error if this was the case .

Conditions could not have been nicer for the BMS ... Cell temps all falling and a very gentle discharge.
E Stop is the only other thing that is connected to Quatro direct... Estop shows as Off as well. Could the quattro have had a hiccup and though it was stopped briefly?

0 Likes 0 ·
Show more comments
rata1 avatar image
rata1 answered ·

Did you ever sort this as I have the same issue with a pair of MP2's.

2 |3000