question

nick-a avatar image
nick-a asked

VictronConnect bluetooth issues with raspberry Pi

Dear All,

I have a Raspberry pi 3+ with the latest Venus OS 2.80~8 on it.

I'd like to use it in the field and want to use the network from my phone (Android Samsung Galaxy S10+ in hotspot mode). That works.

I use bluetooth to connect to the Raspberry pi 3+. After typing in the pin code, I can change the network in the Raspi from my house wifi to my phone's hotspot using the Victron Connect app.

Very nive and useful!

When I leave the VictronConnect app and start the app up again there is a problem. I can see in the list two instancies of the raspi. One is greyed out and the other is not. I cannot get anyone of them working again.

The only solution is to goto into the bluetooth settings in the phone and remove the pairing.

Sometimes the two instancies dissapear and only one is visible. And sometimes I do not have to remove the pairing.

It drives me nuts since I cannot put a finger on the exact issue.

Anyone any idea?

VictronConnectRaspberry PiBluetooth
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The latest release/release candidate (aka beta) version is v2.72. v2.80 is still in the development/testing phase. I suggest you reinstall v2.72 and report your findings based on that version.

I have seen two instances of a RPI Venus system on my iPhone with a recent release candidate version (forget which). As you did, removing pairing seemed to clear that up. My guess at the time was that the RPI rebooted leaving a stale bluetooth instance on the phone.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nick-a avatar image
nick-a answered ·

Hi Kevin,

The same happens with the 2.72 version.

2 |3000

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi @Nick_A

What you can try is to edit the file /etc/bluetooth/ble.conf and comment the line saying "Privacy = device" by adding a # in front and uncommenting the next line by removing the # in the front. The lines should now look like this:

#Privacy = device
Privacy = false

The reason the phone is sometimes showing 2 Venus devices is that with the privacy option enabled, the Venus device changes its bluetooth address now and then. And although Android should be able to recognize the changed address when it is paired, this does not seem to work correctly all of the time.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

2 |3000

nick-a avatar image
nick-a answered ·

Hoi Thiemo,

Thanks. I'll try this soon and report back here.

Right now I have a MPPT problem to solve.

2 |3000

nick-a avatar image
nick-a answered ·

Hi @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ,

Thanks for the suggestion. It is not working.

I tried using an Android phone and an iPad.

It does not connect!

Any idea's?

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Nick_A

Did you reboot de raspberry pi after making the change? And it migyht be necessary to remove the bond/pairing information on the phone and the tablet.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
nick-a avatar image
nick-a answered ·

Hi @Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ,

yes of course.

For some unknow reason it connect now to my Android phone after not trying to connect over 12h.

Followed by trying with my iPad to no avail.

Followed by trying with my Android phone to no avail.

Any thoughts?

2 |3000