question

Alan Star avatar image
Alan Star asked

Rs 48 / 6000 remote on / off for charger only?

Just received this new solar charger / inverter, wondering if anyone knows if there is a way I can use remote on / off to disable mppt charger but keep inverter running? I currently have lithium bank and run twin core from hv port on my bms to turn off a 150 /85 mppt if a cell gets too high (3.6v) to prevent overcharging, I want to do the same thing with the RS but so far if I open the physical circuit on ‘remote on / off’ it turns the inverter off as well as the charger, is there a way to keep inverter running but just send signal from bms to turn charger off ?

Thanks.

Lithium BatteryBMSremote console
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alan Star avatar image Alan Star commented ·

I tried reading thru manual but not sure if I understand options.

0 Likes 0 ·

Also, there are two PV inputs, as I understand you can hook up more than 4000w of panels, is the max input 18 amps total or 18 amps per string / input?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Alan Star commented ·
The Inverter RS Solar only has a single MPPT tracker. That single tracker has an operational limit of 18A (it will not track beyond that).

It is possible to connect additional PV up to a hardware limit of 20A. 20A is the maximum that the reverse PV polarity protection circuit is able to manage, connecting a PV string with a current greater than 20A in reverse polarity will damage the device.

If correct polarity is observed, it is technically possible to connect an even larger (not documented) current than that - however in the event that there is a reverse polarity fault above 20A on the PV, it will not be covered by warranty.

So it is always advised by Victron to keep the system design below that 20A limit, and not to expect to see an operating PV current higher than 18A.

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Alan Star,

It is indeed possible to use the RS in an 'allow to charge' or 'allow to discharge' mode.

The specific wiring required is described in this section of the manual - https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Inverter_RS_Smart_Solar/en/installation.html#UUID-3fd718d1-6697-379a-8f5b-7f064306f390

Also this Battery Mode BMS setting needs to be selected.

cleanshot-2021-07-08-at-121927.jpg

Note this documentation is going to be updated and improved.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ok, thanks, I found that preset but with that selected I’m unable to change any of the settings, everything is greyed out?

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Alan Star commented ·
You can also manually set that BMS mode that enables the allow to charge / allow to discharge functionality by selecting the “User Defined” mode, instead of the LiFePO4 preset.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alan Star avatar image
Alan Star answered ·
Apart from that I just tested it with that preset selected by opening the circuit on the remote on/off and is still turning the inverter off as well? Apart from that even with the remote on/off circuit closed as usual I keep getting this error message 29 over charge even though I don’t have any panels hooked up yet ? And the unit is turning off when this error message comes up ?
4 comments
2 |3000

Please check your firmware version for me, and if you see a more recent one available, please update to the latest firmware.

0 Likes 0 ·

Remember it needs to be physically wired to the H (for discharge) and L (for charge) as described in the manual I linked.

It is not a matter of opening or closing the contact.

Can you please take a photo of the wiring and draw a diagram to show how it is connected?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alan Star avatar image Alan Star Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·
Ok, pretty sure it is the latest firmware as i updated with victron connect from my phone, will check tho. So at the moment I have two wires going from the hv relay output on the bms to the remote on / off port on my smartsolar 150/85 and this works good as it simply turns charger off if a cell get's too high in the pack (I have it set to a value in the bms). Just so you know the lv relay on the bms is wired to a contactor on the main + cable between the batterry pack and the inverter, the contactor opens to disconnect load if a cell voltage gets too low.

So do I run both wires from the hv relay out put on bms as I do with the 150/85? I couldn't work it out from the manual, otherwise which is H and which is L? Thanks a lot.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alan Star avatar image Alan Star Alan Star commented ·
And I guess also the question is if I can send the same signal from the bms hv relay to turn off both the rs charger (not inverter) and the 150/85 charger at the same time, is it possible? Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alan Star avatar image
Alan Star answered ·

429de030-3d94-47c2-9122-f58cf3dfc600-1-105-c.jpeg

So I currently have the red and black twin core you can see going from the HV relay on the bms to remote on/off port of my 150/85 and it works to disable the charger should a cell voltage get too high which is currently set at 3.6v (16x 500ah cells). How do I wire it in this case please with the RS unit to perform the same function ? Thanks.

There are just a few cells which seem to get too high and apparently the pack is likely to balance out over time but this protects from overcharging while things are still balancing out. I also have a contactor on lv relay wired to bms to protect cells from getting to low, disconnects inverters.

3 comments
2 |3000

bc8ef966-e362-463a-bc9a-180a77602bb0.pngStill getting error 29 and unit shutting down. No panels currently hooked up to it.

0 Likes 0 ·

That Error 29 protection looks at the actual battery voltage and compares this to the settings. In case your actual voltage is above what is expected it shuts down.

Can you please provide some more screenshots of the battery settings (absorption/float voltages), and the main screen to see if something is wrong here?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alan Star avatar image Alan Star Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

f788d2c7-77ab-46dd-81d8-cd0cb1aa1547.pngImage Caption

96fda590-e6ac-4763-87ca-eb1d958523a8.pngImage Caption

0 Likes 0 ·
Alan Star avatar image
Alan Star answered ·

I think I’ve got this all sorted out now with connections to bms, seems to be running well and doing what I was wanting. Thanks for your help.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Battery Compatibility

Did You Know - How to create a battery profile for non-Victron batteries?

Victron VE.Bus BMS product page

Victron 3rd party BMS compatibility page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic