question

Elimac avatar image
Elimac asked

Smartshunt with no VE.direct cable?

Hello,

I have one doubt about smartshunt...

I would like to use it in DC only sites, with just an MPPT and maybe a monitoring device (Venus or raspberry). In this situation, if I add a smarshunt to have SOC reading, can I create a bluetooth network and read it trough the MPPT (smart model) or do I need to also connect it via Ve.Direct/ USB to Venus/ raspberry?

Will it appear as a valid Battery Monitor in VenusOS if connected trough bluetooth to the Smart MPPT ?

MPPT ControllersSmartShuntVenus GX - VGXRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Elimac,

you can create a VE.Smart Network in the MPPT and then let your SmartShunt join this network to share voltage and current info.

The SmartShunt does not appear in Venus OS GUI via Bluetooth. You will still need a VE.Direct connection between your GX device and the SmartShunt.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

If you have a Venus OS (or GX) device in your system, go for the cable connection to the SmartShunt.

VE.Smart Networking is good if you don't have one.

2 |3000

007systems avatar image
007systems answered ·

My new SS500 did not come a with a VE direct cable. Did anyone else's?

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

There is no VE.direct cable included.
It is an optional accessories that you have to buy separately.

https://www.victronenergy.com/cables/ve.direct.cable

0 Likes 0 ·