question

planet avatar image
planet asked

Can anyone explain what has happened to my fuse?

My IP67 12V / 17A has been working fine until today, when it failed to charge the 135AH AGM in my motorhome. I had to pry the inline fuse holder open so figured it must have a problem. I wasn't prepared for what I found! I've had this about 12 months.
Can anyone shed any light on what has happened here and why?
Also, is this covered by warranty?

photo2.jpg

fuses
photo2.jpg (190.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
trip-tracks avatar image
trip-tracks answered ·

Poor quality fuses - not fit for purpose. Known for high resistance contacts, causing heat and melted fuses. Often the plastic will melt and not the metal, so they are also a fire risk.

Change it to a MIDI fuse and your problems will go away.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

planet avatar image planet commented ·

Thanks trip-tracks. I will do that and rest a lot easier.

0 Likes 0 ·
Meine_Energiewende avatar image
Meine_Energiewende answered ·

looks like bad contact on the fuse to me. -> so higher resistance and heat.

Jens

1 comment
2 |3000

planet avatar image planet commented ·

Thanks Jens, sounds feasible.

0 Likes 0 ·
planet avatar image
planet answered ·

On further reflection, the fuse hasn't been touched since purchase of the charger, and the vehicle has been stationery for 2-3 months, with the charger having been run perhaps 6 times... I wonder how the fuse contact would have differed? I mean, this could have easily been catastrophic, couldn't it?

2 |3000

planet avatar image
planet answered ·

photo1.jpg (358.8 KiB)
photo3.jpg (250.3 KiB)
photo4.jpg (212.2 KiB)
2 |3000

planet avatar image
planet answered ·

For other people's reference, I'll include a link here with a good detailed explanation, answering my own question of how the fuse contact can differ, or deteriorate. It is worth being aware of for sure.

https://www.redarc.com.au/faq-tech-tips/bad-fuses-or-bad-fuse-holders

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic