question

eric-linxweiler avatar image
eric-linxweiler asked

Adding in occasional use panels

I have a 100w 12v panel on the roof of my camper, connected via a Victron SmartSolar MPPT 100V 20amp controller. I want to add an external portable 100w 12v panel that I can move around to face the sun better. I think I can wire both panels in parallel into the charge controller, and disconnect (via power poles or the like) the portable one when not in use.

Is there any danger in this kind of a configuration? Or am I looking at it incorrectly?

Thanks in advance!

MPPT SmartSolarSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jesse avatar image
Jesse answered ·

Official guidelines would usually discourage such behaviour, given that the different panels with different illumination would be outputting at different voltages. Maybe the lifespan of the panels will be affected? I'm not sure. Certainly the output for each string will be suboptimal, but much better than not having them there!

But I can say I've done exactly what you've suggested for a long time now with no issues. Even crazier combinations have worked just fine (using a 24V 260W house panel on the roof in parallel with two 175W 12V panels in series for instance).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eric-linxweiler avatar image
eric-linxweiler answered ·

So, I did this - and it works fabulously. Moving a panel around really helps when my RV is parked in the shade.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes