question

fabrizio avatar image
fabrizio asked

Correct Victron smartshunt settings

Hi to all, I have installed the Victron smartshunt in my motorhome. I have two 95ah agm batteries and three charging sources: from the electric grid (IUoU 18A abs. 14,3v and fl. 13.8v), from a solar regulator (IUoU about 18A, abs. 14,7v and fl. 13,7v) and a battery to battery chargher (booster) (IUoU 25A max limited current, abs.14.7v and fl.13.7v). How should I correctly set the smart shunt parameters so that the readings are true considering the three charging modes?

Thanks very much in advance and sorry for my bad english

Fabrizio

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Mike Dorsett avatar image
Mike Dorsett answered ·

Please can you add a schematic showing the batteries, shunt and battery to battery charger? This last one seems to be an unusual concept.. Generally if all charge / discharge sources go through the shunt, it should work correctly. with the battery to battery charging, this could be regarded as a separate bank and need it's own shunt.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

fabrizio avatar image fabrizio commented ·

Hi Mike. All the connection of grid charger, solar charger and btb charger are to the Schaudt EBL 29. Plus and minus of the leisure battery are plugged on the EBL too. The shunt is wiring correctly, whit minus from the leisure battery to the shunt in and the minus of the motorhome supply to the out of the shunt. All the current in a d out are displayed correctly. The doubt is about settings: Vc, tail current, time, in according to the YouTube video of Johannes of Victron.

The solar charger it's a Schaudt LRM1218, the Btb it's Schaudt WA121525

In this video https://youtu.be/mEN15Z_S4kE Johannes say that the settings for smartshunt battery parameter charging by grid or charging by solar are different. I want to find the best compromise of these settings for my setup

screenshot-20210621-114345.jpg

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

Normally all chargers should be set with the same voltage values (and in turn those values should be correct for your battery pack).

Since you list different voltages for your chargers, I assume that at least some can't be adjusted.

In this situation, I think a good compromise would be to set the SmartShunt battery parameters as if you only had the solar charger.

Then observe the system for a few weeks and make small corrections if necessary.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic