question

absentx avatar image
absentx asked

MPPT 75/10 Setup optimization (unique use case)

I am using a MPPT 75/10 as a charge controller for a marine application that might be kind of unique.

Essentially I run two 20 watt solar panels to keep either a ten or a fifteen amp hour Lithium ion battery charged. In full sun the two panels will generate between 2.3 and 2.6 amps. I may add a third panel in which case I would guess peak output is somewhere in the mid 3 amp range.

The battery is then used to power a seven inch depth finder which draws roughly 1.2 to 1.4 amps, and I also have a usb charge port that will draw up to 1.2 amps with a phone or other device plugged in and charging.

Generally speaking the battery would be more than enough to get me by on a four to six hour fishing trip and most likely would even be fine over a longer 8 to 12 hour day, but once a year I do an eleven day trip where we do not see electricity once, so the sun is the only way I can keep everything going for the entire 11 days.

Sometimes I have had issues with the system not charging because the margin in voltage between the battery and PV is not greater than 5 volts. Is there anyway around this? Bottom line, if that sun is giving my panels anything, even if its .02 amps, I need that to be going through my system so the depth finder or the usb charger is being offset in usage by the sun as much as possible.

One reason I moved to the MPPT is because the low sun power delivery is so much better than PWM, but, if the system won't turn on, then I am getting no advantage.

So ultimately I wanted to see if there are any other setup options either within the unit itself, or if anyone had any ideas in the physical wiring setup as to how I might maximize the use of this controller for my situation. Bottom line, if that sun is giving anything, I need it, whether to trickle charge the battery, or to hedge reduction on the battery that the depthfinder might be causing.

Here is an example - If I run that depthfinder 8 hours a day, that is 105 amp hours of usage needed over eleven days. Even if that sun is only giving me .4 amps, over eleven days that would reduce my total amp hours of usage needed to 70. So on a trip like this where electricity is non existent, anytime the charger won't start is essentially a lost opportunity to gain more energy for those super grey days where its going to be all battery.

MPPT SmartSolarmppt charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
rslifkin avatar image
rslifkin answered ·

Put your 2 panels in series instead of parallel for higher voltage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Put more powerful panels and connect them in series.

2 |3000

absentx avatar image
absentx answered ·

Hmmm they are goal zero 20 watt panels that are chain-able... So essentially I connect panel one into panel two and then connect panel two into the PV of the MPPT.

I think I am already running them in series?

Are we saying I should just connect each panel separately to the MPPT somehow? Kind of new to this - thanks for all the help.

2 |3000

hoeken avatar image
hoeken answered ·

Are they these panels? https://www.goalzero.com/shop/solar-chargers/nomad-20w-solar-panel/

Their site says they provide 18-22v open circuit and should work in full sun. If you wire them in series to the mppt it should definitely work. If u dont understand what that means, theres a ton if easy to understand videos on youtube.

Good luck with your project

2 |3000

absentx avatar image
absentx answered ·

Yep it is those panels. Oh it works amazing in full sun, its awesome. The problem is I want it to work in moderate sun too.

Okay Goal zero's chaining must be to run them in parallel because when I hook up a second panel the amperage increases but the voltage stays the same.

Okay so this is an interesting problem.If I continue to run two panels, if I change them to run in series then the max amperage I am going to get is about 1.2 but voltage would increase so low light usage wouldn't be a problem anymore.

Ohhhh how about this....I make up two different wiring harnesses...

In full sun, I run them in parallel so I get two to three amps and can power/charge everything.

In less than ideal conditions, switch to the series wiring harness, that way my voltage goes up ensuring the MPPT will start, and I'll at least get some charge.

Would that make sense?

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

MPPT codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic