question

dpk avatar image
dpk asked

The Victron IP22 30amp 3 output charger cannot charge 3 batteries when 2 are in series for 24 volts!0

victron-wireing-diagram-ver-2.jpgThe Victron IP22 30amp 3 output charger cannot charge 3 batteries when 2 are in series for 24 volts as it shorts out one battery because negatives are commoned together. Can I put a 50amp diode in the negative leads from charger to batteries so I can use to charge 2 batteries in series?

charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I don't think this will work.
You still have 24V between P2 and (-) of the first battery and I think this will kill the charger.

20517-victron-wireing-diagram-ver-2.jpg

You will have to buy two charger. One with 24V and one with 12V.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dpk avatar image
dpk answered ·

@Matthias Lange - DE

Thankyou for your thoughts.I have a Pro Mariner Pro Sport 20 plus charger and it has 3 outputs (each output is 2 leads and does not have the -ve commoned) and that is designed to work in my scenario of 3 batteries with 2 in series for 24 volts. I have been using it in that configuration for the last 4 years.

I had presumed that the outputs were just diode protected.

Dave

2 |3000

Robert Friberg avatar image
Robert Friberg answered ·

I also have 12V and 24V banks. My plan is to add an Orion TR-SMART 12/24 to charge the 24V bank from the IP-22 charger when connected to shore power and from the generator when the engine is running.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic