question

mikeymike avatar image
mikeymike asked

Gap between changing from absorption to float mode

Hi,

i recognized there's sometimes a gap of pv power when my mppt 100/50 (actual firmware) change from absorption to float. I remeber some firmware versions ago this was a problem and there was a fix in a newer one. Sometimes the complete system load comes from battery while this happens. I don´t know the duration of the gap or if it happens everyday because i write the solar data only every 30s into my database.

How can i contact the support of victron to report this issue?

Thanks.

victron-absorption-float.jpg

bug report
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi.
that gap is most likely a normal behavior.
When the MPPT switches from Abs to Float it maintains a new lower target Voltage. The MPPT has to wait for the battery to lower its Voltage to the new target V to continue operation. This can take some time. During that time loads are powered from the battery.
BR

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Yes, this is physics in action. If you keep pouring water into the glass then the level will not drop down.
In order for the battery Voltage to reduce from Absorb to Float, PV production must reduce or stop to let the battery Voltage come down. If the PV continues to produce power then the battery Voltage could not come down.
The length of time that it stops producing depends upon how quickly the battery reaches the Float level, if there is a bigger load on the battery it will get to Float quicker.

2 |3000

mikeymike avatar image
mikeymike answered ·

Hi!

thanks for explaining. That sounds understandable to me.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic