question

andrew-jones avatar image
andrew-jones asked

BMV 712 - can I set alarm on current/amps?

The manual says it should be possible to set an alarm on any reading, but then only describes alarms for voltage, temperature, state of charge.

I really want an alarm to sound when too much current is drawn. Anyone know if this is possible?

BMV Battery Monitoralarm
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tomsen avatar image tomsen commented ·
I need to do the same thing. I want an "alarm" or relay to trigger an Alarm so I get notification when current exceeds a certain threshold, It sound as if the VEconnect might be able to override the BMS-712 relay settings but I need to know if that will work.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

No that is not possible,
You can only set an alarm for high/low voltage, high/low temperature and high/low SOC.

Normally a current based alarm should not be necessary in a well designed system.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andrew-jones avatar image andrew-jones commented ·

"Normally a current based alarm should not be necessary in a well designed system"

I run a river boat rental service and we recently installed the BMV-712 on an electric boat. The issue we have is clients running the motor for extended periods at 'peak' which creates a problem with (a) the battery run time available and (b) chance of over-heating and cut-out. It would be so good to have an alarm that sounds when current draw goes over a threshold. I'm fine if clients need to use an extra burst of power from time to time, but I'd like a 'beep beep beep' that stops them running like that for 2 hours at a time!

0 Likes 0 ·
pv-geek avatar image pv-geek commented ·
May be a future feature to consider?
0 Likes 0 ·
rickp avatar image
rickp answered ·

I looked into the alarms on my BMV-712 this morning, and did not see a place to enable a high current alarm. I see only the items you listed as available.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic