question

Michael Connolly avatar image
Michael Connolly asked

Modular or all-in-one

I hear time and time again the varying views on going modular v all-in-one solution. The arguments on both sides have merit so I’m not ruling either out. However I would like your opinion on why buying a seperate charger and inverter is not as good a solution as buying the integrated unit like a Quattro or Multiplus. Let me know your views as I’m going to pull the trigger on a new inverter/charger solution and remove an old Mastervolt 15 year old unit.

chargerPhoenix Inverter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Michael Connolly

I think the answer is really based on the question .... What are you looking for?

A no thinking solution, once set up it takes care of itself? Get a multi if only have one charging source, quattro if two (mains and generator)

If you need charging versatility, in other words two voltage sources 120v and 230v. Or you already have a charging solution. Get a Phoenix (victrons inverter only solution).

Of course there is also the option of solar arrays and mppts. Also depending on your use and needs.

We have both the Phoenix with solar (mobile use) and the Multi for home with solar and grid, love them both.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

If you use separate charger and inverter, then both run to provide the AC loads: The charger feeds power to the battery which the inverter immediately takes out of the battery to convert to AC.

In a Multi/Quatro,when AC input exists, AC power flows from the input to the output and the inverter/charger core does nothing. The core functions as a charger when AC input capacity exists and the battery needs charging, or as an inverter when the AC input does not exist or is insufficient to power the load ("Power Assist").

Separates have the advantage that the charger can be dual-voltage so if you connect to shore power from different parts of the world, you system still functions. There is also no concern with 50/60 Hz issues that could affect motors.

Multi/Quatro systems need to match the AC input and output voltage and frequency. A transformer can be used to adapt to different shore power voltages but frequency could be an issue.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Phoenix Inverter product page

Phoenix Inverter Smart product page