question

Michael Connolly avatar image
Michael Connolly asked

Is there any product that can be triggered to cut off power flow in one direction but allow current to flow the other direction? Thanks

I want to be able to isolate my batteries from load via external trigger signal but allow charge current to flow into the battery in the same conductor.
can this be done?

battery chargingbattery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Vance Mitchell avatar image
Vance Mitchell answered ·

There are a few ways to achieve this depending on load/charge currents.

An ArgoFET with a relay bypass (Cyrix-ct if you want it to automatically switch with battery voltage) would be one solution.

If you could tell us a few more details about how much current you wish to switch and when we can possibly make other suggestions.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Michael Connolly avatar image
Michael Connolly answered ·

Current wise it would be a theoretical 400a at C discharge.

But I think I have worked it out. I put the BatteryProtect 500a in the neg and buy a Victron Lifepo charger which will plug into the 230v in the motorhome. Then when shore power comes on the batteries will charge enough to cancel the BMS and disconnect the BatteryProtect.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

???

There is no 500A BatteryProtect an a BatteryProtect is always in the positive wire.
Do you mean a SmartShunt/BMV?
If yes -> the shunt is "just" a resistor not a switch or something like that.

Or I just don't understand what you mean.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

VictronConnect VE.Bus charging manual  

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic