question

Brandon avatar image
Brandon asked

MPPT Isolation question

If I have a 24v battery, a Multi-plus II and a Smart solar MPPT wired together through DC distribution buss bar and the battery were to get disconnected/isolated while everything is running, is it possible that the MPPT would keep any loads (such as the Multi-plus II) live due to the incoming power from the PV panels?

The reason I ask is because I have to fit an isolator switch to my battery cables to comply with local standards and I'm concerned that if that isolator switch is turned off (effectively disconnecting the batteries) that it won't shut the whole system down due to the PV panels keeping things live through the MPPT.

I'm aware that I can isolate the panels too through the DC breakers but that would effectively require 2 actions. I am looking for one switch to shut down all loads. (I'm not worried if the PV panels remain active as long as they cant power anything up while this said switch is off)

MPPT SmartSolarCCGX Color ControlPylontechisolators
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Brandon, an hello is always welcomed ! BTW, as long as there is SUN, the PVs will provide power. and you need to put a breaker for them at the arrival to the MPPT. It will be a two steps procedure, PVs and battery bank to be disconnected.

Michel.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

I have used a HRC NT00 fuse disconnect similar to THIS to isolate 3 circuits from my battery with one yank.

2 |3000