question

myozone avatar image
myozone asked

Is it possible to use the EasySolar II to charge an EV ?

Hello, Is it possible to use the EasySolar II to charge an EV ?

What I mean is just used it 'islanded' to change a electric vehicle directly.

Solar panels > EasySolar II > EV

EasySolar All-in-OneSolar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Yes, this can be done, provided the car charging power can be adjusted to not overload the EasySolar.
@Off-Grid_Garage charges his Tesla directly from his inverter.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

myozone avatar image
myozone answered ·

Thank you, I was thinking having OpenEVSE turned down it's lowest setting of 6amps around 1440 watts here in the UK. Therefore, the solar panels would have to put out more than that to enable then to charge.

4 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Just to be clear, you do need to have a battery connected to the EasySolar otherwise it will not work.

0 Likes 0 ·
myozone avatar image myozone wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Funnily enough I've looked and at the PDF and I concluded the same thing, the inverter part of the EasySolar has a maximum input of 66 Volts and I was thing of having 6 watt solar panels in series that would come to around 240V DC - way to high for the inverter. I could connect the panels in parallel but the wiring would be to be quite large with around 55 amps. It might be better to use a solar inverter on it's own and fool it to run 'islanded' without a mains input (output).

0 Likes 0 ·
spicedreams avatar image spicedreams wkirby ♦♦ commented ·
@WKirby Thanks for the advice.

Can you charge the EV using DC, or would you need to go via the inverter?

What is the EasySolar parameter you must avoid exceeding- is it the solar charger's 70 A @ 250 V DC, or is it some MultiPlus II combination?

Thanks

Graham

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ spicedreams commented ·

DC charging uses 200-600V, so no you can't use that.

AC charging is limited to the continuous AC output power of the MultiPlus (2400W for the 3000VA MultiPlus or 4500W for the 5000VA MultiPlus)

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic