question

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image
Warwick Bruce Chapman asked

Can we bolt busbar onto 2000A shunt?

Can we remove the supplied bolts from the 2000A shunt, place our copper bus bars over the holes on battery and load side and use new, longer stainless steel bolts to fasten the busbars to the shunt?

Ps. This is for a 135kVA system with busbars running the length of the wall - batteries on lower side and loads on higher side.

BMV Battery MonitorSmartShuntbusbar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ddickov avatar image
ddickov answered ·

Hi there just some knowledge from building my system and electrical knowledge I would say maybe need to get longer brass bolts as I’m pretty sure it’s brass construction, I wouldn’t mix stainless steel bolts into a brass tapped hole different metals/different expansion and contraction and the two metals alone can cause a reaction with each other, I would double check with victron as they may sell you the correct bolts for it and would be much better connection and most importantly it’s safe in use.

Hope this helps a bit thanks David

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello, indeed, stainless steel isn't the best option as far as corrosion. The busbar can be mounted like that beside this. Make sure to clean /sand the surface (very) well before mounting as otherwise you might have created a heat source.

Avoid torsion/stress on the shunt itself so measure/install well!

1 comment
2 |3000

Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman commented ·

Am I correct that this site will require 4 bus bars, positive and negative on the battery side and positive and negative on the load side so that the positive link can be on the extreme left and the shunt (negative link) can be on the extreme right?

1620217636006.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1620217636006.png (1.8 MiB)