question

repro avatar image
repro asked

MultiPlus 24/3000 120 ESS configuration

I want to buy a MultiPlus 24/3000 120V, but need to know if it can be configured to do the following:

I have four 12V 200 Ah LiFePO4 batteries in 2S/2P for a 24V system.

2000W solar array with a Victron Energy Blue Solar 150/70 SCC.

Cerbo GX, 500A SmartShunt, and Smart Battery Sense.

Dedicated 50A electric circuit for the inverter/charger.

I would like to set the inverter/charger to use the battery/solar as priority power source. Have the batteries charge per the SCC during the day, and use grid power to assist solar or fully charge the batteries only when the solar can't keep up and/or the battery bank SOC drops below 24V.

I hope I was able to explain that in clear terms and would appreciate it if someone can give me some insight if this is possible. My research led my to several possibilities with VEConfigure assistants and ESS.

Anyone? Thank in advance.

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Repro

It is 100% possible.

You can download the ve config and make a fake 24v system to play around with the ess assistant and see how to program it before doing anything on the Victron itself.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DV1Zceq02vMA&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiUq7_M-a_wAhURhlwKHREPCzkQtwIwAXoECAgQAQ&usg=AOvVaw1Q_vsYiV5HUzcMS9NRAt6B

https://professional.victronenergy.com/accounts/sign-up/

Training is also available if you would prefer working through it that way.

https://www.google.com/url?q=https://shop.pkys.com/VE-Configure-Part-1.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiUq7_M-a_wAhURhlwKHREPCzkQFjADegQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw3hQkgLsJFYjUUvD9XyRE65

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

repro avatar image
repro answered ·

Thank you Alexandra for the input. I spent over 9 hours reading the information, especially the VE ESS manual. I started taking notes, and now there are so many variables that the installation seems to be getting really complicated.

I underestimated the complexity compared to my last system. I do feel that VE makes great products, that is why I have invested in some of them. But it seems the more you invest, the more complicated it becomes. I am getting really frustrated and I am no longer sure VE is the way to go.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Repro

It is a lot to take in all at once. There is plenty of help (like this community) and resources ranging from short videos to longer lessons. I found once I had my basic system and got a handle on things there I found more and more to do with it and add on, it became easier.

The basic plugging together is fairly simple. It is easier when you have all the parts in front of you. Not sure how you are purchasing the system but from a good sales or dealer close to you they will be able to assist you in buying all the cables for communication and help with design - maybe even programming.

https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy

0 Likes 0 ·
repro avatar image repro Alexandra ♦ commented ·

I have experience with solar as I designed and installed what I have. An friend who is a certified electrician helped, and everything is up to code and inspected. Installing the unit is the easiest part as the complete wiring, breakers/fuses, grounding, dedicated AC circuit, array with combiner box/lighting arrestor, it is all there. My last inverter was causing problems and had to be removed. There was an issue of feedback with two refrigerators (inductive motors) running at the same time. The feedback caused harmonic distortion with the frequency and voltage, and both were wildly jumping all over casing serious issues. It had to go. We tested with a 2200W inverter I have for my RV, and the problem disappeared. So the last inverter just wasn't good quality.

I have no VE dealerships close to me, so I am left with dealerships on the internet. My closest VE dealer is over 70 miles away (Boat Sales), and they are clueless. I don't understand that they can sell VE equipment. I am still looking for a replacement.

0 Likes 0 ·
repro avatar image
repro answered ·

I already had it all ordered with cables/adapters, however the dealer (according to them, the largest VE dealer in the US) lead me to believe they were going to help me, and at the last minute before it was to be shipped, told me I was on my own. They even advertise free VE programming on their web site. They were only going to set up the battery charging parameters. I can do that myself easily.

This is one reason that I am very skeptical. If I run into issues, there is no support. I hope you can understand my hesitance. Thanks Alexandra. I am going to have to think this over and do more comparisons with other systems.

7 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Repro

I do understand. Its a big investment.

The only thing you would need help for may be the wiring of electrics. Make sure its up to code and safe. The rest there is support here on the community. Everything is open source.

I learn by doing, so the many reading resources I found can be overwhelming. That is why i liked the feature of the demo mode on the software.

0 Likes 0 ·

I have been doing a lot of research, and talking to LOTS of VE dealers. None of the dealers even have anybody with enough knowledge to help me. They all say "that can easily be done with the MultiPlus", but none knows how. So it can't be easily done. It is frustrating.

As far as wiring goes, that is all done and up to code. My array has been soaking up the sun for nothing for over three weeks. I am looking for a replacement inverter/charger. My fears of buying a VE unit is getting bigger as the dealers make it worse. I feel that you are literally on your own with VE. I can't find one dealer who can offer full support.

I want to thank you Alexandra for your input, and as you see, you are the only one. It feels lonely, and that is making this too hard, Maybe you should start a VE support system and get paid for your knowledge. There is no doubt you would be busy 24/7.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ repro commented ·

It's also really frustrating for me to hear that the dealers are not willing or can't help a potential customer. I don't realy understand it apart from that they are probably only interested in a sale. That's not how I think they should be operating.
I think they should be offering asurances to prospective clients and stand behind the products that they sell.

The VE world can be a bit daunting because of the mutitude of individual pieces of equipment that can be used to make up multitudes more bespoke individual designs.

This community is a great soure of online support, they are may people here, myself included, who enjoy helping people solve their problems.
Sure, it's not quite the same as having a representative of the company from whom you purchased the equipment on the end of the phone, but we do our best to help.

0 Likes 0 ·
repro avatar image repro wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks wkirby as well. I do not understand it either. As a matter of fact, most dealers for any brand cannot even answer most questions about the products they sell. They are just product pushers.

I firmly believe that this forum is a great place for help, but in a pinch, I need product support. This is not cheap hardware, and I expect some professional support. I can tell you all first hand, that most people here who offer help are MUCH more qualified than the people I now know who sell this equipment.

I hope I do not upset anyone, but I may be going with a German engineered product from Phocos. I can directly get help from the dealer who knows a lot about the product, and I can call and talk to the engineers based in Pheonix AZ for help. I lived in Germany for over 20 years, and I know Phocos as a well established company today with roots in solar charge controllers. They are very well known in Europe, and I would be willing to bet some of their technology was used in early VE hardware.

I am still undecided, but VE and Phocos are my last two candidates. I may be calling on some help if I go with VE. Thanks again!

0 Likes 0 ·
repro avatar image repro repro commented ·

Well, I decided to get the VE MultiPlus 24V 3000W inverter/charger. Now I need to decide where to get it since all of my internet sellers led me nowhere. Can someone recommend (If it is not against the rules) a dealer?

If it is against the rules to recommend, I may just go with the absolute lowest price as I don't expect much from service or support. Any input?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ repro commented ·

@Repro

Since I am in Africa, I cannot recommend anyone in the States.

https://www.victronenergy.com/where-to-buy may be helpful.

I am also a fan of the Phocos, fairly simple to set up as well. But for monitoring, remote support, the Victron is awesome, and the programmability if that is what you are looking for. (I have Victron monitoring on some Phocos systems)

But really the best product at the end of the day is one that does what you need and has the support you require.

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you Alexandra, I have no dealerships close to me, The only one is a wholesaler, does not do retail and has no support. The next dealership to be found at the Victron Link is over 180 miles away. I am stuck with internet sales. Thanks again!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

This forum is a great place for information, but sometimes you need to ask the right questions. Your kit seems good but you won't need the Smart Battery Sense. The Smart Shunt will provide necessary information to the system and battery temperature isn't needed for LiFePO batteries. You may also need an MK3 USB interface to program the Multi.

Victron Energy relies on dealers to provide product support. I'm sorry you are having trouble finding a one willing to help with your install and configuration. I understanding the fear in relying on an internet supplier for support. Hopefully one of the experts can help find someone educated in installing your system. There are lots of on-line training tools but those alone may not be enough for you to feel comfortable doing the work yourself.

A couple of comments:

Prioritizing solar power over grid power without ESS requires installing an "assistant" in the Multi to ignore AC input given a set of parameters, usually battery SOC, and possibly AC load.

ESS does a lot of this automatically but may require additional bits to legally connect to the local grid.

You said "dedicated 50 amp circuit for the Multi". Is this your grid input or a branch circuit off an existing load distribution panel. If the latter, you'll need a load panel down stream of the multi to feed those circuits powered by solar and battery. If you are connecting the grid directly to the Multi input, then you'll need circuit breakers ahead of the Multi.

The community will help as much as we can.

2 |3000