question

heinzie avatar image
heinzie asked

Maximum discharge current (initial current)??

Hallo people

If i have a 230 Ah agm battery wich mentions "initial current" 46 A, what does that mean exactly? For example:

I want 2 of this batteries parallel connected to a multiplus 12-2000. But if i connect like for example a watercooker from 1600 watt i allreafy excel that current by around 30 amps (15 amps per battery)

What battery i need connect then to not exceed the "initial" current?

Or this means somethibg else?

Thanks all!

ESScharge current limitcurrent limit
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

If i have a 230 Ah agm battery wich mentions "initial current" 46 A, what does that mean exactly?

Normally this would be regarding the initial (high) charge current rate.

if i connect like for example a watercooker from 1600 watt

If you are intending to draw 1600w from a 12v battery bank, that would be equivalent to 150a draw on the battery bank.

Normal lead acid batteries are not happy with charging or discharging at more than 20% their C rating. Your batt bank is rated at 230Ah x 2 = 460Ah @ 12v.

Your max realistic charge rate for your battery bank would be 20% of 460a = 92a. Your multi has a max charge rate of 80a, within battery specs.

Your max realistic discharge rate for your battery bank is well over the the batteries realistic rate of 92a. Your inverter can actually handle peak ac loads near 4000w. This is approaching 350a @ 12v battery.

Choose a couple of 12v lithium batteries. They handle high charge/discharge currents better than LA.

Ask or advice.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

heinzie avatar image
heinzie answered ·

Thank you for your answer.

So my assumption regarding the installatie (discharge) current is right. Then why victron mentions this battery can handle high discharge currents??? I cant say 46 amps for a 780 euro battery is a high discharge current.. So that means i need at least 4 victron super cycle 230 ah for a 2000 VA inverter? That is massive... Why Victron mentions around 350 Ah is a minimum battery capaciteit for this inverter, i am not even close with a 2 super cycles and a Total if 460 amps

2 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

I simply do not care what you do care what you do to your batteries.

Quite frankly I designed my system so the max charge/discharge currents would be within my battery banks specs.

You have been informed.

Live long and prosper..

0 Likes 0 ·
heinzie avatar image heinzie klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Of course i understand that you dont care about that. I didn't expert or mention that. I am only curious why the discharge current is only 42 amps for this battery while they mention it is high. I simply dont think it is high.

Thank you for your answers!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic