question

jokani avatar image
jokani asked

Alternator charging solution for non-Victron lithium batteries

Installing a full Victron system, Multiplus, Cerbo ,Touch 50 etc

But my batteries are CALB, and an EMUS BMS, with an Isabellenhuette shunt (supposedly fully Victron compatible)

As well as the Multiplus I'll be charging with an 120A engine alternator.

I'm keen not to cook either the alternator or the batteries.

I believe the Victron Smart BMS CL12/100 and the BMS 12/200 are for Victron batteries only?

Therefore other options I'm considering are:

1. Wakespeed WS500 alternator regulator to charge lithiums
  2. Sterling 120A battery to battery charger between engine start and lithiums
  3. 4 x Victron Orion-TR Smart 12/12 30 DC/DC chargers in parallel

Really confused over the best way forward.

Any advice gratefully received.

Lithium Battery
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

safiery avatar image safiery commented ·

Consider changing to 48V for Lithium and Inverter charger. There is a big $$ saving and its more compact. We get close to 250A from the larger alternators. For this level of replenishment power, we use a 12-48V 3,000W Bi-directional DC to DC eliminating the need for a 12V house battery. We are adding a completely Euro6 compliant software stack for the CANbus control of this DC to DC so it need only operate when vehicle is in cruise or region mode saving fuel.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
tozz avatar image
tozz answered ·

Yes, those BMS devices are for Victron batteries only.

There are a 2 issues:

- You need to prevent your alternator from overheating when your batteries are pulling all the amps they can get. This especially is an issue at lower engine RPMs, eg running idle.

- You need to prevent your batteries from charging too fast

All your 3 options will do the job more or less. I have some doubts about the 120A Sterling charger, on a 120A alternator. Is that alternator also rated for 120A at idle engine RPMs?

Considering you already have everything Victron, and this is a Victron community.. Option 3 will most likely be recommended :) also, Emus BMS apparantly is compatible with VenusOS (CerboGX), so when you go with Victron you will have your BMS and your Orion's in 1 overview in Cerbo

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

msmolow avatar image
msmolow answered ·

My Orion TR Smart Charger does not integrate with my Cerbo GX. Its charge profile operates independently from that of my Victron Smart Solar and Multiplus. There have been numerous complaints on the forum about it being non-networkable.

2 |3000

Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

In My Opinion the wakespeed reg is the way to go as It also has a alternator temp setting and a alternator output current control as well.

this way if the alternators get to hot the wakespeed will de rate them

2 |3000

Related Resources