question

daniel-davis avatar image
daniel-davis asked

SmartShunt Improvements

The SmartShunt is a great idea but the current version has some weak points. Things that would make this product awesome would be:

1. Improved IP rating: The current version is only IP21 so not suited to any external install without an additional enclosure. Making an IP65 version would be great for under-bonnet or installs that are somewhat open to the elements, even if it meant not having direct access to the VE.Direct port.

2. Better Bluetooth Antenna: The Bluetooth antenna in the current SmartShunt is woeful. When installed inside an enclosure you're lucky to get 5m of range. This really needs to be improved.

3. Data logging: The current implementation of the Victron Connect app only graphs live data from the SmartShunt so to see the graph you need to keep the app open. It would be much more useful if the SmartShunt could log the data and then the VC app can download and display it, even if it's only the last hour or so.

SmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Ulrich avatar image
Ulrich answered ·

Hello

these are good considerations, but I have a few concerns:

1. Since the cable connections must be accessible and they can corrode, a better housing is only partially possible.

2. In my installation the Cerbo GX was connected via W-LAN (2.4GHz). Now I have connected the Cerbo GX via Ethernet cable and switched the W-LAN to 5GHz only. The Bluetooth (2.4GHz) range has improved significantly as a result.

3. A Cerbo GX is integrated in my installation. This transfers the data to the VRM (victron remote management). Not only the data from Smart Shunt is collected, but also the data from the solar charge controller and the inverter. Certainly, a recording like with the solar charge controllers would be nice but not really necessary due to the VRM.

Have you checked out the VRM? Perhaps using a GX device would be the solution for you? (https://vrm.victronenergy.com/world/)

greetings

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

For 2. you can also get a BMV-712 Smart instead the SmartShunt and place the BMV display (which has the bluetooth parts inside) closer to you.

Or, if you also add a Cerbo GX as Ulrich said, use that instead for all monitoring.

2 |3000