question

tilapia avatar image
tilapia asked

Victron/Mastervolt compatibility

We have a Lagoon 39, which was originally outfitted with Mastervolt Mastershunt 500 to monitor the batteries. I purchased a Victron inverter/charger along with a Cerbo GX for monitoring all electrical currents. Question: Can the Cerbo GX use/read the existing mastershunt 500 to monitor battery levels?

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

No, the Victron communication method is VE.Direct which is proprietary to Victron only. Mastervolt likely use their own proprietary communication protocol too.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jasonclipper avatar image
jasonclipper answered ·

I am searching for a similar solution. Mastervolt provides a MasterBus Modbus Interface. I didn't test this yet, but I beleave it should be possible to read out the shunt data an provide to the cerbo?

2 |3000

gro avatar image
gro answered ·

Going via the Modbus Interface will not be a plug and play setup. From my understanding you would require a device to interrogate the the Mastervolt device and then tell the Cerbo what the data is. Or perhaps some additional code on the Cerbo.

I am not an expert but it sounds like jasonclipper should be able to amplify on his answer to confirm that either another device on the network or some code will have to be placed on the Cerbo to execute the interrogation of the Mastervolt.

2 |3000