question

showtime3 avatar image
showtime3 asked

Color Control GX making noise

I got my Color Control GX hooked up today and I noticed it makes a constant noise. I wouldn't call it a buzz. More like a muted white noise. Or maybe the sound of a loud speaker being but not playing music yet. Its not crazy loud or anything but you can hear it when close to it.

Is this normal?

CCGX Color ControlHelp
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

If I put my ear solidly on my CCGX I can here something very faintly like white noise. Any distance at all from the unit and I can't hear a thing.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

I am only guessing based on other (non-Victron) products, but try adjusting the screen brightness in the display settings menu of the GX and see if that changes the pitch of the sound.

2 comments
2 |3000

showtime3 avatar image showtime3 commented ·

Changing brightness had no effect. I tried turning off and on various settings with no change. Weird. It makes the sound all the time even when the screen is off.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ showtime3 commented ·

It was just an idea - but that rules it out.

Would it be possible to record the sound with your phone?

0 Likes 0 ·
CristiMV avatar image
CristiMV answered ·

I also had a similar experience with a brand new My-PC Ac-Thor...only when the screen was on, there was a strange white noise....after couple of weeks it just disappeared...

2 |3000

cory cantrell avatar image
cory cantrell answered ·

Just a thought, but have you looked for ground loops? In sensitive Audio equipment this is an indicator of a "possible" ground loop.

2 |3000

nigelfxs avatar image
nigelfxs answered ·

I am guessing that this could be noise from one of the DC-DC converter circuits used on the CCGX. This noise is typically quite high-frequency (over 15kHz), so may only be audible to younger people ;-)

In this case, the noise is not a sign of malfunction - it is quite normal when a DC-DC converter is operating under a light load. This causes it to operate in "pulse-skipping" mode - which reduces the effective switching frequency down into the top of the audio range.

2 |3000

Related Resources

CCGX Product Manual

CCGX Product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic