question

oldcrowew avatar image
oldcrowew asked

Should I upgrade to SmartSolar MPPT? (corrected)

Hello, I have an Airstream with BlueSolar MPPT + MPPT Control. If I add the Cerbo GX (which replaces the mppt controller) + a Smart Shunt, is there any benefit to upgrading from BlueSolar to SmartSolar if all devices are connected to the Cerbo via VE.Direct cables?

In other words can the smart shunt & blue solar share info via the cerbo or do they still need the ve smart network over bluetooth to share info?

MPPT Controllerscerbo gxSmartShunt
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

From Smart Solar to Blue Solar would be a downgrade.

Smartnetwork is still used and Bluetooth is still a useful way to quickly access the settings.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

oldcrowew avatar image oldcrowew commented ·

Thanks for the clarification. I got them mixed up. I would be going from bluesolar ==> smartsolar. (i updated my post).

So if Im understanding you correctly, the SmartShunt and MPPT device require ve Smart Network via bluetooth and cannot utilize the ve.Direct connection instead? I agree on the usefulness of quick access to MPTT settings, but my understand was the Cerbo can now allow remote access to the device. Hopefully I have all that correct.

Thanks again for the correction and responding!

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Data passed between devices via VE.Direct through a Venus Device (Cerbo for example) has priority over bluetooth data. So there is little motivation to upgrade your Blue Solar to Smart Solar unless you also want data on your phone/tablet via bluetooth.

Cerbo won't make data available to bluetooth devices but phones/tablets can connect to it's screen via Wi-Fi.

2 comments
2 |3000

oldcrowew avatar image oldcrowew commented ·

Awesome. Ty for confirming. I also verified the Blue Solar is available remotely via the Cerbo! Do you know how I can verify MPPT is pulling measurements from the smart shunt?

Here are some screenshots of it working as described:screenshot-20210413-233811.png

screenshot-20210413-233823.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

Enable DVCC in Cerbo settings and select shared voltage sense, shared temperature sense. and shared current sense.

You can also set a system wide charge current limit for your battery bank. Cerbo will insure the combined current of all charging currents does not exceed this value.

0 Likes 0 ·
oldcrowew avatar image
oldcrowew answered ·

Thanks @Matthias Lange - DE & @Kevin Windrem Im all setup. Everything is working as I had hoped!!

2 |3000

mrn3ff avatar image
mrn3ff answered ·

Did you upgrade to the smartsolar mppt or was the smartshunt and VE connection sufficient? I’m in a similar predicament and wonder if I need the smartsolar mppt or if I should save the few bucks and just get the bluesolar version.. I’m a noob to all of this. TIA

1 comment
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·

The only advantage of SmartSolar over BlueSolar is built-in bluetooth. If you are using Cerbo or other Venus Device, and don't want status on your phone via bluetooth, then the BlueSolar is fine. You can get to the Venus GUI via a local Wi-Fi connection.

0 Likes 0 ·