question

bertschb avatar image
bertschb asked

New MultiPlus-II 2X 120V doesn't show full AC load on Victron Connect

I just installed the new Multiplus-II 12v 2x120 inverter. It's working great but the data I'm seeing in Victron Connect doesn't look right. For example, I'm on 50amp shore power and with one 15k A/C running in my RV, Victron Connect shows AC Loads at 231w. When I shut that A/C down, the load stayed at 231w. When I start up the second 15k A/C unit, Victron Connect shows 1,868w. It appears Victron Connect isn't seeing power from one of the legs on my 50 amp service. Thoughts?

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

UPDATE 2021-10-25: all info is visible now, also regarding L2, when using the VictronConnect App.

It was added to VictronConnect per v5.45, July 19th. Requires VE.Bus firmware version xxyy484 or later.

When using a GX Device, v2.80 is needed, which is not released yet. Planned for later this year.

original text:

---
Hi all, we're quite far ahead with the improvements to properly visualise the different situations as well as power readings.

The situations can be:
- in inverter mode (not connected to shore)
- connected to a single phase supply
- connected to a split phase supply.

Here are screenshots of those situations:

1622535207672.png

1622535221511.png

And here is how it looks when in inverter mode (and thus both outputs provide 120V.

1622535263256.png

Any comments? Similar improvements are also coming for the VictronConnect App.

1622535207672.png (27.7 KiB)
1622535221511.png (28.8 KiB)
1622535263256.png (23.1 KiB)
12 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

cory cantrell avatar image cory cantrell commented ·
Do you know what version these will first be released in? Are they released yet? Thank you.
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ cory cantrell commented ·

Hi, yes released already; After a bit of back and forth, the good working solution was released as part of VictronConnect v5.45, on July 19th, as a mandatory firmware update for the VE.Bus Smart Dongles.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/victronconnect:beta

0 Likes 0 ·
bertschb avatar image bertschb mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Do you plan to display this information (data for L2) in the VRM Portal?
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ bertschb commented ·
Hi, absolutely we do!
0 Likes 0 ·
I'm not seeing it. I updated my inverter to v485 last night. What am I missing?
0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ bertschb commented ·

we're planning to do that, its not there yet. I'm not 100% when it will be finished. End of this year for sure; hopefully much sooner. It depends a bit since it ties in with other changes & releases.

0 Likes 0 ·
Sorry. I mis-read your initial comment and thought it was already being displayed. Is L2 data displayed on the CCGX or Touch 50? I only use the VRM Portal to monitor the system. Thanks again for your efforts to display this information on L2 and also for the quick replies here. Fantastic support for Victron customers!
0 Likes 0 ·

Its currently in beta, in v2.80. More information about the GX devices cq. Venus OS beta programme is here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ccgx:beta-testing

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
ps. you're very welcome & thanks!
0 Likes 0 ·
cory cantrell avatar image cory cantrell mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

That’s epic, I had upgraded to v485 and didn’t see the L1/L2 fields, after moving my GX touch 50 to the candidate v2.80 I now see them! I will do some testing and see how it’s working, will report the results should there be any major deficiencies.

Thank you for the fast response and turn around time! This makes the nerd in me happy!

0 Likes 0 ·
bertschb avatar image bertschb commented ·
That's fantastic news! Thanks for the update and keep up the great work.
0 Likes 0 ·
offgridcircuits avatar image offgridcircuits commented ·

Is this working yet? If so, I have a fault somewhere. I have verified voltage and current/loads on L1 and L2 when inverting, on shore or generator. But the VRM, Victron Connect (Cerbo) never show anything on L2 and never show an input on L2 when power is available on shore or Generator, although I verify that both legs are hot.

The Multiplus II is Firmware v497.

The Cerbo is FW v2.91

Victron Connect is v5.73.

Does anyone have any input?

0 Likes 0 ·
Patrick avatar image
Patrick answered ·

I believe the Multiplus II 2x120 Only monitors power on the L1 side so its only seeing half of the RV "L1" loads when the the RV is powered by 120/240 "Split phase" sources like a large generator or 50 amp pedestal connection it bypasses the L2 straight through to the RV. There is a current sensor port on the chassis though the manual doesn't not confirm if that can be used for L2 monitoring. I am waiting for my Multiplus II 2x120 to arrive so I can test.screen-shot-2021-04-14-at-95952-am.png

-Patrick

1 comment
2 |3000

That makes sense Patrick. Thanks for the reply!

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi both, thats it exactly. But we’re still looking to improve that; and most likely we’ll be able to make it show data for L2 as well, with a firmware update.

If you ask me again in 4 weeks, I’ll know more!

7 comments
2 |3000

That would be awesome! Thanks for the reply. Love the new Multiplus II BTW!

0 Likes 0 ·
johnadventure avatar image johnadventure commented ·

Very excited to be able to see this information! Is it looking like it will be just a firmware update or would we need additional hardware like an external current sensor?

0 Likes 0 ·

This is the same problem I am running into, is there anymore info on when a fix will be available? It has been almost 4 weeks, but who is counting :)

@mvader (Victron Energy)

Thank you, and my post on the same issue I will remove and use this thread for updates.

0 Likes 0 ·

Ping- Any update on the fix for this?

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ cory cantrell commented ·

Hi, yes there is an update: its been looked into.

Conclusion: its 99% sure that we'll be able to make it show data for L2 as well with a firmware update. And its being worked on already, but I expect that this will take several months minimum before its fully finished and released.

Changes to a lot of parts are required, ie the firmware for both microcontrollers in the inverter/charger, and firmware in one, or perhaps even two parts in the GX device.

And then I haven't even mentioned VictronConnect, VRM and Venus OS Gui yet..

0 Likes 0 ·

This is great news! Thanks again for keeping us updated on the progress. Your customers will LOVE this feature!

0 Likes 0 ·
cory cantrell avatar image cory cantrell mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Brill! Thank you for the reply. I was hoping it would be a bit less complicated, but I am sure it is in good hands. Appreciate it as always!

0 Likes 0 ·
Steven avatar image
Steven answered ·

Any more updates on this issue and potential firmware updates for connect app? I am connecting my Multi-plus-ii 2x120 with MK3-USB to a android device and connect app, would love to see draw on L2 displayed. Im planing to use a Android car stereo as a multimedia info center for all my devices, so need the victron connect.

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, when using VictronConnect, updating everything to latest firmware will make it work. Note that updating the firmware of the inverter/charger is something we recommend to have done by a professional, since all settings need to be reconfigured.

I've added more details in above (now accepted-) answer.

0 Likes 0 ·
offgridcircuits avatar image
offgridcircuits answered ·

Is this working yet? If so, I have a fault somewhere. I have verified voltage and current/loads on L1 and L2 when inverting, on shore or generator. But the VRM, Victron Connect (Cerbo) never show anything on L2 and never show an input on L2 when power is available on shore or Generator, although I verify that both legs are hot.

The Multiplus II is Firmware v497.

The Cerbo is FW v2.91

Victron Connect is v5.73.

Does anyone have any input?

img-9894.png

img-9895.png

img-9895.png (1.3 MiB)
img-9894.png (999.2 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
My guess is that L1 and L2 are in phase, not 180 degrees apart as they would be with split-phase AC source. In this case, this unit will ignore L2 input and pass L1, tieing L2 to L1 on the output. That's what the "L1 + L2" indicates.

Check your generator output to see if the two legs have 0 volts between them. It may be possible to rewire the generator to split phase power but some generators that have two outputs will always be in phase.

I'm not sure what happens with 2 legs of three phase power (L1 and L2 120 degrees apart). This is sometimes found at campgrounds.

0 Likes 0 ·
offgridcircuits avatar image offgridcircuits Kevin Windrem commented ·
Ah! An answer that makes sense! Looking at the generator install manual, the L1 and L2 are in phase and share the neutral. I do not know why. In your opinion, does this mean that the Multiplus ignores "reading" the L2 but still passes it to the output? Or it cannot pass it through because it is in phase with L1?
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem offgridcircuits commented ·

L2 is ignored and disconnected inside the Multi. The data sheet shows the various scenarios:

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-MultiPlus-II-3kVA-2x120V-EN-.pdf

If L1 and L2 are in phase, then the middle diagram applies.

Sadly, you are loosing half of your generator's output since it's L2 is unused. Check with your generator manufacturer and see if it can be rewired for 120/240 split phase or if the outputs can be paralleled and both fed to the Multi L1 input.

0 Likes 0 ·