question

abeness avatar image
abeness asked

Any plans to release a Victron dual input charger (solar/PV and DC) or even triple input (PV/DC/AC)?

Can anyone from Victron advise whether you have plans to release a line of dual input chargers that would accept both solar (PV) and DC from an alternator, or even triple input to add AC to these? I'm currently feeding my SmartSolar 100/30 from 12V-28V DC-DC converter when I'm not using my portable solar panel set, and while it works beautifully, and while separate DC-DC chargers obviously exist, and while I could opt for another device, it would be delightful to have a single unit of Victron quality and BT convenience that would accept both PV and DC as input for battery bank charging, or even also AC from mains power.

A couple of manufacturers already build dual input units for PV and DC--Renogy and REDARC, for example. I'm very happy with Victron's ultra-fast MPPT operation, however, and dual or triple input seems like a great product line to add not only for those with limited space, but for better control.

A dual input option should include the ability to default to PV if present, but have the option to flip to DC if present and a user-defined minimum PV input power is not met. Say you always want to charge your battery at maximum rate, or never want to "waste" gas when you're not in a hurry. Might even be nice to base this choice on battery level as read automatically from a BMV unit with BT. (Now THAT would be slick! If battery bank below 50%, charge with fastest method available, otherwise, save gas and go green!) It should support 12V alternator input, and include minimum voltage detection to eliminate charging when engine not running.

A triple input model would follow a similar model to flip to AC when available (connected to shore power) and PV below a user-defined minimum.

I opted to power my SmartSolar with the DC-DC converter when not using solar because I just couldn't buy yet another charger. I've already got a Blue Smart IP67 12/25. And I have a ham radio-related device that can charge from DC or PV that I wired up in my portable battery box with a manual switch that allows me to toggle between DC output from an AC power supply in the box and external DC input from my alternator, which defaults to PV if available, but it's only a 10A charger and not ultra-fast MPPT. Redundancy and options are good. Tinkering is fun! But compact and less wiring is also good.

feature request
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
brent1982 avatar image
brent1982 answered ·

I doubt it. The don't hide the fact that they make components mainly for bespoke systems, fit for purpose that way.

The only all in one units I can think of that they make are their range of inverter chargers.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

abeness avatar image abeness commented ·

Hi, brent1982. I don't think bespoke precludes compact multi-functionality. One could (and so many do) certainly wire up independent products to achieve these goals, but space is often at a premium on a boat or in a camper (or my bespoke power box of my own design).

Victron is already close to a comprehensive unit with their EasySolar and MultiPlus units (I missed the inverter aspect in posting; thanks for the reminder). It doesn't seem like much of a stretch to go all the way: grid, solar, and alternator for input/charge in a single unit. All eggs in one basket may not be everyone's choice, but that's why a robust stable of products is available.

0 Likes 0 ·
brent1982 avatar image brent1982 abeness commented ·

No you're right, it wouldn't be much of a stretch to at least develop a dcdc/mppt charger.

Ive been designing a system for my rv/caravan and whilst I've looked at enerdrive a lot because they have components that would ultimately take up less room, they're also a lot more expensive when you end up with the same result

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.