question

marekp avatar image
marekp asked

ESS without power meter

Hi,

After listening to the "ESS systems" event I am still not sure if I can have ESS system without Power Meter when my PV inverter is AC coupled but it does not talk to GX device.

I thing, for the PV inverter that does not communicate with GX device, I would need to measure PV energy generated by this inverter with a Power meter that is connected to GX device, so the system knows how much energy is getting from the Sun.

Am I correct?

Regards,

Marek

Multiplus-IIESSEnergy Meter
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @MarekP

if everything is behind the inverter(s) ESS will work, but when you don't have communication with the PV inverter, you won't have PV production numbers on VRM.

excess solar power will be sent to the batteries.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

marekp avatar image marekp commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff),

Thank you w the answer.

Everything will be behind the inverter.

My installer insists that I would need Power Meter on the PV output for ESS to work properly.

I would be nice to know the PV production but if I have to spent additional 400 Euro for Power Meter.

I would like to have PV charging battery and the excess of PV energy to feed the grid.

Can the ESS system do that?

Regards,

Marek

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ marekp commented ·

Hi @MarekP

Yes it will work without, but an energy meter doesn't have to be too expensive.

https://www.victronenergy.com/accessories/ac-current-sensor

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/energy-meters:et112

0 Likes 0 ·
marekp avatar image marekp Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi @Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff),

Thank you for this info.

I need it for 3 phase PV inverter.

3 of those AC Current sensors cost as much as one ET340.

Installer wants me to buy EM24.

EM24 is 30% more.

Regards,

Marek

0 Likes 0 ·
netrange avatar image
netrange answered ·
2 |3000