question

Norman Kühn avatar image
Norman Kühn asked

Phoenix Inverter 12/375 - Venus OS - show AC Loads

Hello, I am new in the forum and german. so excuse my english. I have a Phoenix Inverter 12/375 with the lastest firmware 1.21 connected via ve.direct to a venus os 2.65-3 on a raspberry connect to the vrm portal. Both, the portal an the venus shows the loads as a factor of 23 Watt like 23, 46, 69 and so on. Why the loads are not the right value? is that a problem by the firmware or general? Will that be fix in the future?

Thank for an answer and I wish a happy weekend.

Greats from Berlin, Germany Norman

Venus OSPhoenix InverterVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Kawanager,

the Phoenix Inverter is not capable of taking exact measurements. To calculate exact power consumption you need current and voltage.

If you want exact measures of power, a shunt like a BMV/SmartShunt is required, which reports data to your GX device (RPi) and VRM. I have the same inverter for small AC loads and can read the exact values simply by looking at VRM or the GX device.

I don't think it's possible to make this more accurate just by changes in the firmware because of the hardware limitations.

Hope that helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Norman Kühn avatar image
Norman Kühn answered ·

I have a BMV 712! It shows the summary of all loads, DC and AC (before inverting). I wanna know the AC loads seperately. If it doesn't work because limitations of the hardware inside the inverter for measurements you can not fix with a firmware update. But I don't know the real reason.

3 comments
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi yes I can confirm: Phoenix Inverter hardware is limited in precision of its current & thus also power measurements.

There is an updated hardware design underway; I think production for that has started just now. So a while from now (could be months or worst case even a year for the stock to flush) we’ll ship inverters with more accurate power measurement

0 Likes 0 ·
Norman Kühn avatar image Norman Kühn mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you for your answer! In summary, it's a fact and no way to improve. Ok, I will live with that.

Nice sunday, bye

0 Likes 0 ·
kurtinge avatar image kurtinge mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·
Hi @mvader (Victron Energy) !

I also have been a bit dissapointed about how to identify the load on the Phoenix Inverter. I did a upgrade to v1.30 yesterday, but still same. I did not investigate the changelog for that version, but I had some hope for better calculus.
As the Phoenix Inverter dialogs are so inaccurate, I am looking at the load in my smartshunt. This seems to be more accurate and detect the load immediately. But still the VRM's presentation is not good.

Also I can see the flow (the mowing dots) is flowing from the inverter and to the battery. This does not make sense at all as the inverter will only consume no matter what.

0 Likes 0 ·