question

lurenut avatar image
lurenut asked

Victron IP43 (24v / 3outlet) Charger connection to Orion 24/12-20 Converter ?

I have have a Victron Phoenix Smart IP43 (24v / 3 outlet) charger and wondered if I could connect an Orion 24/12-20 converter to one of the 3 x 24v outlets on the IP43 so that I could charge a 12v battery ? If so, would all of the smart charging features of the IP43 still be available ?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
lurenut avatar image
lurenut answered ·

Also emailed the local Sales Manager in my Zone and he replied "In theory, this should work, best ask your nearest Victron dealer as they are there for all technical enquiries" ..... Ahem, excuse me but what, you can't find out the answer - I'm only wanting to spend money with Victron and you are the Sales Manager ?

Please, where do I address technical queries such as this ?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Lurenut,

are you talking about a Orion-Tr DC-DC converter or a Orion-Tr smart DC-DC charger?

If it's the converter, then sorry to say but this will not work because the converter is what it says, a converter and not a charger.

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Lurenut

The converter can only deliver a set output, and wont passthrough a varying input. It can be adjusted though, with a tiny screwdriver and a multimeter to a set voltage. I do this with a 48/12-20, set to 13.5V flat on a (lightly loaded) 675Ah fla bank, switched automatically with it's remote terminal.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic