question

pjetbarn avatar image
pjetbarn asked

Wiring 3 parallel batteries with IP22 w/3 outputs

Hi,

I have a smaller motorboat with 3 parallel batteries. 1 starter and 2 consumer batteries.
I have bought an IP22 Blue Smart with 3 outputs, and I wonder how to connect them to the charger correctly.

I have made an figure of how I suppose is the correct way, but I am unsure if it really is that simple?
Should I add fuses on any of the wires?

Thanks a lot in advance for your support.

BR - Pjet Barn

battery chargingchargerwiringip22
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Make sure the fuses are as close to the battery as possible. They are there to protect the wiring from a short. The charger will current limit if shorted but the current from the batteries could easily burn wiring.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Schematic look sgood, indeed, Kevin's remark is correct, move the fuses closer to the battery.

2 |3000

Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi, Yes that is the correct way to wire the batteries to the charger. You will need to add fuses to each positive battery cable.

4 comments
2 |3000

pjetbarn avatar image pjetbarn commented ·

Thanks a lot Margreet!

I have added fuses on my figure, just for easy overview and understanding.
I suppose the figure is showing the correct wiring now?

What diameter wire do you recommend? It is a 15 Amp charger and all 3 batteries are 75Ah.

Thanks

BR,
Pjet Barn

0 Likes 0 ·
pjetbarn avatar image pjetbarn commented ·

Thanks a lot Margreet!

I have added fuses on my figure, just for easy overview and understanding.
I suppose the figure is showing the correct wiring now?

What diameter wire do you recommend? It is a 15 Amp charger and all 3 batteries are 75Ah.

Thanks

BR,
Pjet Barn

0 Likes 0 ·
cliff-white avatar image cliff-white commented ·
That's very interesting. I have bought a used boat with an IP22 3 output, 20A blue smart charger. It is charging two batteries but these are connected in parallel (as a "bank") and so only one of the charger outputs is used. I have added two more batteries. Can I just use the two spare outputs from the charger, one for each battery?Pjet's diagrams posted do not show if the batteries are interconnected to form a "bank" but if so, then with all 3 batteries turned on, any one charging output is thus automatically connected (and charging?) all connected batteries, right? In my ignorance I feel I must be missing something. My four batteries are 100ah each, is this too much for my 20A charger? Thanks for any guidance.
0 Likes 0 ·
dolphins avatar image dolphins cliff-white commented ·
Hi Cliff,

did you got answer for your question? I have one starter lead acid battery and two AGM in parallel. I would like to charge them with Victron Blue Smart 12/30 3 and I am wondering do I need to use 2 two outputs or three? Some multiple bank chargers are able to be connected parallel and I believe this one will be able as well. Is it possible to control and program each output separately via apk?

0 Likes 0 ·
pjetbarn avatar image
pjetbarn answered ·

Thanks a lot! @Margreet Leeftink (Victron Energy Staff) @Kevin Windrem
Highly appreciated!

I have updated the figure accordingly:

victron-blue-smart-ip22-wiring.jpg

Cheers,
Pjet

2 |3000

simon-buttenshaw avatar image
simon-buttenshaw answered ·

Thank you for the circuit diagram. I too have 2 leisure batteries and one starter. I was going to wire mine up same as your diagram until it was pointed out that because my 3 batteries are connected in parallel, they already have a common negative, so the negative from the charger only needs to go to one battery, rather than into a bus and then out to all 3. Saves a bit of wiring.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Victron Wiring Unlimited Book